How do i get a stray-turned-house cat to use enclosed litter box?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well....I recently bought a really nice enclosed cat litter box (and expensive one) for my girl to use so that I will save the time to sweep the pallets on the floor everyday..
She actually does use the litter box but you know there's steps outside the actual litter to trap the pallet from dropping out? - She's peeing on top of it. Like she actually stood on the litter but her buttock is aimed on the steps.
I actually caved in and opened the enclosure to her but it defeats the purpose of buying this...omg help!!
Btw..I somewhat knew she wouldn't like this cause she HATES being in boxes....maybe because she's a stray before but you know...this litter box is so convenient for me!!

Oh and yup..the house looks like this, advice pls! :
1605539005354.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There are just some cats who do not want to use an enclosed litter box, and it is not likely that you are going to change her mind (sorry). Your best bet is to get a large washable mat (actually, buy 2, having one as a back up) to place underneath the open litter box, and routinely shake it out or vacuum it. The mat will catch most of the litter, which sometimes is all one can hope for.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't. Cats are very particular about their litter boxes and if they don't like the available litter box, they simply won't use it. A simple open litter box is preferred by most cats. It might not be convenient or aesthetically pleasing to you but if the cat will use it, then that's all that really matters. If litter tracking is an issue, place a litter mat or two outside the litter box.