How do I get a fat stray from eating so much of the food?

Xupid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my little neighborhood area have stray cats and cats that are 50/50 indoor and out. I feed 3 strays that stay by my house, there’s another stray(ginger) that usually stays at a house across from mine(that also feeds strays) but every now and then comes to eat with my strays. They all get along, but I’m concerned about the stray ginger. He’s fat and eats so much of the kibble I give to my 3 other strays. I don’t know how to stop it but I don’t want him to get obese. My 3 strays don’t eat at one time, they snack on it throughout the day so I can’t just feed them all at a certain time, they won’t eat it all so fat ginger cat eats it. How do I limit him from eating so much?

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way except feed them separately from him. I had the same issue with Merlin who became overweight outside. He ate nonstop, I had to free feed my others outside too but we had two spots which helped. But they all came to both at different times. I hit him to oose a bit after I took him in but he gained a bit cause he nags me non stope for food. He does not eat any carbs. He is a big cat though overall. Apparently this is typical of many ferals according to a stray/ feral cat group I am part of.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't. It's more important for the other cats to not be underweight or have digestive issues and sounds like they are doing the best by eating small meals throughout the day. If there is one particular time when you are outside, you can try to feed the overweight cat with low calorie food just to make him eat one low-calorie meall but I learned by it may not be worth it either. The outdoor cats who are overweight typically go after food if they don't get enough food and their "enough food" is too much food. If you live in a cat-friendly area, the chances are he will find more food elsewhere anyway. There are two overweight boys in my area too and they are fully food obsessed. Like they go inside houses and such if they don't eat too much outside. It wasn't a solution to not give them kibble.