How do i force mom cat to relocate kittens? My neighbor is threatening to call animal control

SnowbabySuperCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, a stray mom cat near to me is taking care of a litter on my neighbors front porch (we live in a apartment complex) and the person stayed they would call animal control of I don't get the kittens relocated. I moved the kittens on my porch, but momma cat just moves them right back. What do I do?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, a stray mom cat near to me is taking care of a litter on my neighbors front porch (we live in a apartment complex) and the person stayed they would call animal control of I don't get the kittens relocated. I moved the kittens on my porch, but momma cat just moves them right back. What do I do?
Any chance you can bring them inside? If you can give her a safe space in your home she may be happier there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SnowbabySuperCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any chance you can bring them inside? If you can give her a safe space in your home she may be happier there.
I wish, but we already have 8 kittens. If it were up to me that would be the first thing that I would do, our manager threatens eviction if I do. So my only option is to somehow get mom cat to relocate her kittens... do I have to frighten her to make her move her kittens? I don't want to, but if it means life or death for momma and the kittens- I'll do anything.

Also if animal control do get called... what happens to the kittens? Are they taken in with the mom, or are they just... euthanized?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if you can bring her inside your home, even temporarily, it would be ideal, at least for now. Consider borrowing a large dog crate from someone if you need a place to put her and her kittens. Who feeds this cat?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you not bring the mom and kittens inside for a day or two? Long enough to find a no-kill shelter for them, or a friend who could foster them?

Edit to add: You can’t “force” a cat to stay in a certain place. It won’t work.

SnowbabySuperCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, if you can bring her inside your home, even temporarily, it would be ideal, at least for now. Consider borrowing a large dog crate from someone if you need a place to put her and her kittens. Who feeds this cat?
I feed her, and some other neighbor (Thank You so much). My parents won't allow that, I want to. O don't know when my neighbor will return so i gotta hurry. Let me try calling no kill shelters hang on.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the other people who feed her take her inside, at least until shelter placement or a permanent home can be found?

It's not guaranteed, but in many places (at least in the US) animal control won't respond to nuisance animal complaints and will only come out if it's a dangerous animal. Of course, that doesn't mean this neighbor won't try to do something about them himself.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the other people who feed her take her inside, at least until shelter placement or a permanent home can be found?

It's not guaranteed, but in many places (at least in the US) animal control won't respond to nuisance animal complaints and will only come out if it's a dangerous animal. Of course, that doesn't mean this neighbor won't try to do something about them himself.
Not always true. I work for a Police Department in VA and Animal Control goes out all the time for stray animals hanging around. They end up taking them to the shelter to check for an owner or to be given up for adoption.

SnowbabySuperCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you not bring the mom and kittens inside for a day or two? Long enough to find a no-kill shelter for them, or a friend who could foster them?

Edit to add: You can’t “force” a cat to stay in a certain place. It won’t work.
I just called about 5 different no kill and cat rescues around san Antonio. All are full or just don't do situations like this...I'm lost, my only option is to scare momma cat from the area. Or I could try luring the mom into the cage with her kittens and locking them in?

SnowbabySuperCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's what I'm terrified of. The neighbor might take matters into their own hands, I'm currently waiting for the little Angel's to finish feeding to put my plan into action for the third time. After this, she is getting spayed, I can't deal with the insurmountable stress of worrying if a baby kittens life is in danger. Every morning I wake up I fear I'll find the kittens lost or something. The kittens don't deserve to be so at risk, and the mom doesn't deserve to be so stressed. The cycle of this needs to end.

SnowbabySuperCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not always true. I work for a Police Department in VA and Animal Control goes out all the time for stray animals hanging around. They end up taking them to the shelter to check for an owner or to be given up for adoption.
What happens to the kittens of AC is called?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's why I said it's not guaranteed. Animal control in some places is overworked and understaffed so they just can't afford to respond to nuisance animal calls, but other places they have enough people to do so.

I just called about 5 different no kill and cat rescues around san Antonio. All are full or just don't do situations like this...I'm lost, my only option is to scare momma cat from the area. Or I could try luring the mom into the cage with her kittens and locking them in?
It depends on whether you can find someone to adopt or at least take care of them short term, if not it won't do much good to cage them if you can't bring them inside.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's why I said it's not guaranteed. Animal control in some places is overworked and understaffed so they just can't afford to respond to nuisance animal calls, but other places they have enough people to do so.

It depends on whether you can find someone to adopt or at least take care of them short term, if not it won't do much good to cage them if you can't bring them inside.
Sorry. Missed that part of your post. We only have one ACO working during the day (when I'm at work and listening to the Police radio). They might not get to the call right away if there is something more pressing going on but they do eventually. I don't hear that many calls go out so either people just deal with whatever the situation is or not a lot of animal calls happen.

What is funny is that I live in the country but work in a big-ish city. I have to laugh when people call about having wildlife in their yards. I call that a "Tuesday" where I live. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many shelters do kill underage kittens, due to lack of resources and disease concerns. I wouldn't risk it, unless you have good knowledge of their policies.

If you can keep them caged on your porch, that's a good idea. It's obviously not ideal but it'll keep them safe at least.