How do I fix Fizzy Lemon Cake Batter? SOS

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Im attempting to make a lemon cake, but the batter tastes fizzy. I only have a couple of hours to make it, so I confess I rushed and forgot to take the milk out of the fridge until late so the milk is kind of cold.
It’s ready to go into the oven, but it tastes fizzy.Why did this happen, and how can I fix it?
Things to note- the recipe called for both baking powder and baking soda- could that be making it fizzy?
-Also, the recipe called for me to mix lemon juice and milk.
Should I just pop it into the oven and hope for the best?
Thank you in advance!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bake it. What do you have to lose.

The lemon juice is to "sour" sweet milk as an alternative to buttermilk. That's why the recipe calls for both baking powder and baking soda.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took it out of the oven. It looks less than pretty. I also think it baked unevenly.
F8E6E1B9-6918-4360-B374-BC8EA349D480.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I took it out of the oven. It looks less than pretty. I also think it baked unevenly.
But how does it taste? That's the most important thing. 😉 I bet it tastes delicious.

I once made a fudgy chocolate cake that fell apart but we added vanilla ice cream and it tasted really good. Of course my kids will never let me forget about it. :lol2:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frosting disguises many cake baking ills. A simple confectioner's sugar / lemon juice would be quick / easy / good here.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But how does it taste? That's the most important thing. 😉 I bet it tastes delicious.

I once made a fudgy chocolate cake that fell apart but we added vanilla ice cream and it tasted really good. Of course my kids will never let me forget about it. :lol2:
Thank you 😊 My family enjoyed it, so that’s a plus!
That sounds delicious. I’ve never met a chocolate cake I didn’t like. :lol:
Frosting disguises many cake baking ills. A simple confectioner's sugar / lemon juice would be quick / easy / good here.
Thank you. I actually ended up doing that. Lemon glaze is my favorite type of ‘frosting.’

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I just now saw this. Next time, put the lemon juice in the measuring cup, then fill the cup with the milk. Give it a bit of a stir, then let it set for a good five minutes to give the juice time to react in the milk. If you didn't do that this time, that might be your culprit. Since your cake tasted fine and, to be honest, I think it looked fine, too, you did good!

One time I made a two-layer pineapple upside down cake. I put the bottom layer on the cake server, then put the crushed pineapple filling on top. As I placed the top layer, with the pineapple and cherries, onto the filling, the entire top layer crumbled. And I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. Well, crap! And it was for dinner with friends! I made vanilla pudding, cooled it down, crumbled the rest of the cake, chunked up the pineapple slices, and layered the pudding and cake in a trifle bowl, topped with the cherries. Served it with a bit of whipped cream. And everybody loved it! They never knew it was a goof! My GF asked me to make it again when we went there for a picnic. It makes a darn good trifle.

ETA: You know, baking soda does tend to fizz. I know mine does, depending on what I add to it. Next time, add it to the rest of the your dry ingredients and see if that helps. (Just in case you didn't do that this time.)

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Next time, put the lemon juice in the measuring cup, then fill the cup with the milk. Give it a bit of a stir, then let it set for a good five minutes to give the juice time to react in the milk. If you didn't do that this time, that might be your culprit. Since your cake tasted fine and, to be honest, I think it looked fine, too, you did good!
Thank you so much. I didn’t do that. I’ll remember that for next time.
One time I made a two-layer pineapple upside down cake. I put the bottom layer on the cake server, then put the crushed pineapple filling on top. As I placed the top layer, with the pineapple and cherries, onto the filling, the entire top layer crumbled. And I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. Well, crap! And it was for dinner with friends! I made vanilla pudding, cooled it down, crumbled the rest of the cake, chunked up the pineapple slices, and layered the pudding and cake in a trifle bowl, topped with the cherries. Served it with a bit of whipped cream. And everybody loved it! They never knew it was a goof! My GF asked me to make it again when we went there for a picnic. It makes a darn good trifle.
Wow, quick thinking! Sounds delicious. I love pineapple upside down cake. Who doesn’t?

Next time, add it to the rest of the your dry ingredients and see if that helps. (Just in case you didn't do that this time.)
I really don’t remember if I did or not :lol: But good advice for next time. Thank you.