How Do I Ease My Cat Into My Going On Vacation?

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, guys!

I'm going on vacation for the first time since I've had my cat and I just want to know how I can make the transition as easy as possible. He seems to have a decreased appetite when I'm gone for more than a day.

I have two more days until my vacation, so information is whatever I can do until then is appreciated <3 I'll be gone for two weeks. He will stay at home with my parents, who he lives with everyday, anyway. I've let them know where all of the food is, how often his dishes get washed, set up auto-ship for the litter, etc. I've also told them that they have to play with him for fifteen minutes everyday.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Glad to know he will be able to be in his own home and with people he knows that will be staying there with him. On this short notice, the only tip I can offer is to leave out some of your worn, unwashed clothing for him to be able to smell you while you are gone. Place them in locations that he likes to hang out in - especially ideal would be on your bed if he likes to spend time there. Since the time line of your vacation is long, you might want to keep some of these clothes in a plastic bag (to help preserve your scent) and have a few items pulled out every few days or so.

If Skype is possible, you could call your parents every couple of days and let your cat at least hear your voice, if not see your face. This too would give you a chance to check in with them to see how he is doing, and give you the ability to offer suggestions to them if they are concerned about his behavior.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across this thread now, so I guess you're already on your vacation. Sounds like you left your cat in good hands. Hope you have/had a good trip, and that all goes/went well with your cat. Do post when you return and let us know how things went.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am back from vacation! It went fine. I heard he missed me a bit (kept sleeping on my pillow), but he was happy and well-adjusted. The first thing he did when I got home was stare at me from the staircase, go for a sniff, and then promptly try to bunny kick my feet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad your cat survived your vacation. :) Hope you had a good time too.