How do I describe Ruben?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello. I was reading some of these posts last night and thought it would be nice to describe Ruben correctly. He is different on each side so I don't know which side you pick to describe? He has a white chest but are tuxedos only black and white? Some of the pictures are when we first rescued him. You can see that we brought him back to health but sadly today he looks worse than back then. He has terminal cancer. Its very sad but we are making the most of the time we have with him. He is the sweetest boy ever.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think either Cream Spotted Tabby and White or Red Silver Spotted Tabby and White.

What is sure is he is a Spotted Tabby and White, and he has red-based color.

Re Tabby Pattern: In the 2nd and 5th photos, I see him on both sides and in those photos , it clearly looks like a spotted pattern. some of the other ones, the spots are not as distinct looking, not so much clarity between them and the 'background'. But because of those photos 2 and 5, I would call his tabby pattern Spotted Tabby.

Re Color He has red-based color ---- but is it Red or its dilute version, Cream? Red is usually a brighter , more intense orange. Cream is a paler orange / peach / buff color. I really think it looks closer to Cream. but some of the hair looks a bit darker than cream usually would.

Re Silver? He might be Red Silver Spotted Tabby and White
Try parting the fur on the colored parts, and look at the roots. If they are white -- including places with short fur like the top of his head, then he is a silver. That can also make the color look lighter .

Re "tuxedo" : He does have a similar arrangement of white as seen in the Black and White cats that some people call "tuxedo cats". But "tuxedo" is just a cute nickname for cats who look like they're wearing a formal dinner jacket , not an official term used in any cat association. and usually only used for the black and white cats with the white arranged like this.
Actually the more "correct" term in the cat fancy for those cats would be Black and White Bicolor.
But if you want to call his pattern some fun name like ginger spotted tuxedo , it's up to you!

He's sure a very handsome cat and looks like such a nice boy.. I am very sorry to hear about his illness. I hope Ruben will have a while longer of at least feeling OK enough to get some enjoyment from life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much maewkaew. Ruben is a red silver spotted tabby and white :) He has white fur at the roots all over. My children and I are going to make a book about him so it will be nice to add a correct description of him. Thanks for your kind words about him. Apart from being very thin he still seems to be enjoying life. We are working closely with a wonderful vet to make sure that he doesn't suffer. Thanks again :)