How do I clean pellet litter??!?!

leilaluv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I dunno how to clean pellet litter. So it turns into sawdust and then what? what about teh solids? Im sooooooo confused. Im used to litter that clumps so when I clean it, I scoop up the clumps and the solid poopies and the rest of the litter stays. This new litter is more difficult, at least to me. I scoop up the solids, but pellets come with it too, isnt the sawdust supposed to go? Or do I just remove solids poopies and let it become sawdust and then remove the whole thing?

I hope im not confusing you, but I REALLY need help here! lol.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you have to scoop the poop and let the sawdust stay at the bottom and clear the whole lot out regularly!

A friend of mine recommended to fill only enough for the day - scoop the poop when necessary - then throw the whole lot out at the end of the day and start again tomorrow!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use pellet (pine) and I just scoop the solids, mix around the rest and when the sawdust outnumbers the pellets (or when i start to smell it), i change the whole thing. My two, with two boxes...this is about once every 2 or 3 weeks.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats why I don't like that kind that turns into sawdust - too hard to clean the pan.

I tried it one time - and no more - went back to the clumping litter - much better. I also found that they tracked the sawdust in the carpet/floor a lot more then when using the clumping litter.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Thats why I don't like that kind that turns into sawdust - too hard to clean the pan.

I tried it one time - and no more - went back to the clumping litter - much better. I also found that they tracked the sawdust in the carpet/floor a lot more then when using the clumping litter.
I found the complete opposite actually
I had litter everywhere when I used clumping. With the pine pellets, there is rarely any tracking unless I let it go for a long time without cleaning it which doesn't usually happen.

They also make a special litterbox and scoop for pellet litter. The scoop has holes big enough for the pellets to fall through but not the poop. The litterbox is basically two in one, with the top one having tiny holes in it for the sawdust to fall through. This way, you scoop the poop out with the special scoop everyday and then whenever you feel like it you remove the top part of the litterbox and shake the saw dust out into the bottom part of the litterbox and then throw it away, put it back together and add more pellets to the top.

I think pellet litter can be really good if you get all the parts that go with it (scoop and litterbox). You can order them online, do a search, I can't remember where they are. PetSmart may have them too. BUT I can't imagine it being hard to make one yourself. Just buy 2 regular boxes that fit into each other and poke holes in the top one.

I don't have the litterbox yet. I have 6 cats and 7 boxes so it will be awhile before I can afford to replace them all. Right now I do use Feline Pine or ExquisiCat Pine from PetSmart (its cheaper). My cats have the tendency to poop mostly in certain boxes and pee in others. So I scoop the poops occationally and then every 2 or 3 weeks or whenever I am inspired to do so, completely replace them and wash them out sometimes. I have found that there is almost no pee or poo that goes through and sits on the bottom. The pellets do their job well. So a quick wipe out and I replace them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jen, now that is smart on the parts pan to separate. If you used that, the whole idea would work well. I had used the pellets in an ordinary pan - so it made more of a mess IMO

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes sometimes it doesn. It seems like it all depends on how often I scoop and clean and everything. If I let it go too long then it can be a big mess. I try not to do that though because then my cats like to protest and use the carpet