How do I catch my cat who ran away from home?

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad Rocky is home safe. If you have a door on the patio you might make sure that both the patio door and the house door are not open at the same time. He probably is scared of the sounds as It might make him think he is back outside again. You might make sure you get him micro chipped just in case he gets out again you can report the cat missing on the micro chipped site you register him with.

fourcatsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read your story and am so happy for both of you that Rocky is home, safe and sound! I also took in a feral who occasionally, late at night, stands by the door and cries to get out. My son suggested the harness and leash thing, and your story has convinced me that it's too risky, and a bad idea. Right now, I've posed the question of how do I get him to the vet for his second tapeworm shot, since he's become terrified of the cat carrier.  These ex-ferals are great cats, but a handful!

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you checked if the vet will come to you? Also have you checked in your area I have a feed store that has a vet service and I can get the meds from them to give myself. They have tapeworm meds that are not a shot.

fourcatsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, kstonya. My vet doesn't do house calls and she does not dispense the pills because she doesn't think they are as effective as the shots. We have four more days in which to get it done, so we are leaving the new soft-sided carrier open and are feeding him treats near it to try to familiarize him with it. If all fails, I will find a place that will give me the pills

Last edited:

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat used to be a feral cat, he was born in our backward and had no contact with humans before he met me. I raised him and gained his trust. He has lived in my house with me since April and I wanted to bring him outside in a T strap leash and he got scared and managed to jump his way out of his leash (it was probably not tight enough.) The fly trap thing of our patio door was closed and he couldn't get inside to safety (his first instinct was to get inside the house) and my mom scared him off by shouting at him and running towards the door to open it. He is now hiding somewhere outside. I suspect he is under our immediate neighbor's flower bushes because each time I get out, I hear the tiny bell on his collar but I can't find him, it too dark right now and I'm even using a flashlight. I think he knows his way around the neighborhood and I am afraid that he will run away farther. I still put about 5 LOST CAT posters with a huge picture of him in every street direction and I warned my closest neighbors about him. Now that I think I know where he is, what do I do without scaring him off to run away to hide farther? I am keeping the patio door wide open all night and placed a bowl with his favorite canned food inside, I have also placed a bowl near the front door of our house where I can see through a window. Problem with that is that there are other feral cats who have eaten him food. One of them was his sister. I don't know if it helps him feel more secure to know that his sister is with him.

What can I do to get him back?

Thanks!
If you have a local shelter that can let you borrow a cage used for catching Gerald and releasing, get one of and place near your home with food in there. Maybe your cat and his sister will both goin for the food and you can catch him. If another cat gets in there just release, orhavehim neuteredand returned likeyou would a feral cat. Hope that helps.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a local shelter that can let you borrow a cage used for catching Gerald and releasing, get one of and place near your home with food in there. Maybe your cat and his sister will both goin for the food and you can catch him. If another cat gets in there just release, orhavehim neuteredand returned likeyou would a feral cat. Hope that helps.
Glad to see he is back. Thank God!