How do I care for Mr. Beefy without bringing him inside?

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P3240033.jpg

For about a year, our elderly neighbor left food out for a neutered tuxedo cat with a clipped ear, but never brought him inside to live with her three cats. When she moved to assisted living in January, we were unaware that the cat my wife referred to as Mr. Beefy, had been left behind. I was smoking a pork shoulder on our back porch in February and found him licking up the drippings. He let me approach, so I started feeding him regularly and made him a small shelter, which he used until the weather got warmer. Throughout the pandemic, he’s spent most of his days in our yard and nights on our porch. He passes much of the time sleeping under the bushes or sunning on our potting bench. We can summon him at any time by clanging his food bowl and he always has fresh water. He has not missed breakfast since the day he arrived.

Our elder dog Mugsy is a cat chaser and takes off after Mr. Beefy whenever he sees him in our fenced yard. We have managed to teach him to watch and walk right past the cat while we praise him and provide treats as a reward, but once the cat is in motion, prey drive kicks in. Beefy is very affectionate and will sit in my lap and purr indefinitely. He acts like an abandoned pet and does not seem feral. We brought him to the vet in July and got him vaccinated and tested for FeLV/FIV.

My wife and I have adopted four rescued cats over the years, two pairs of sisters. They were indoor cats and three of them lived into their late teens. One died of a congenital heart problem. We have never had outdoor cats and would never have thought to put our cats outdoors. It seems like Beefy is our cat now, but it's not possible to bring him inside at this point. Any suggestions for caring for an outdoor cat would be appreciated.

P7060018.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would imagine that he might adapt to inside living. I have brought 7 outside feral/stray cats to live inside my house. Two years ago I brought 3 feral cats to live inside my house. I had been caring for them for many years on my deck. I moved and brought them with me and made them all inside cats. It took them awhile to adjust, but it has been a wonderful experience. One of the cats was 8 years old at the time and had never ever been inside a house.

I used a spare bedroom and cleared out most of the furniture. Previously with other feral or stray cats I had brought inside, I had just removed the bed or placed it flat on the floor. Under the bed is the first place a cat will run to hide and it's nearly impossible to get them out. I also blocked under and behind any large furniture. I wanted the cats to be more out in the open. I had a cat tree with a hiding box and also provided their former outdoor shelters. This allowed them to feel safe.

I used 4 litter boxes and used Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. It worked like a charm. All 3 used the litter box immediately.

Also you must be watchful for windows or screens. Make sure they are tightly closed.

The "safe room" ( which can also be a bathroom) will be the room they remain in until they are used to inside living. Some cats when brought inside will yowl and howl. Others will be silent. I often used Feliway plug ins to help. Lots of visits to the room. Yet, once inside, you would want him to stay inside. That's why remaining in the safe room for a few weeks is necessary. Too much too soon and it's very over whelming and the cat will only want to escape.

Please do consider bringing him inside. He seems like an abandoned pet and his adjustment to inside living might be easy. If you could get him to the vet, then it shouldn't be too hard to get him inside. Just use a cat carrier.

There are lots of us here to help you along the way. Thank you for wanting to help improve Mr. Beefy's life.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I meant to add that if you absolutely cannot bring him inside, then caring for him outside can be done. A nice warm shelter for the winter is needed. Also winter feeding can be different than summer feeding for outside cats. They need wet food so that it can easily be digested. Kibble takes much longer to digest and the body needs to use energy to break it down. They need the energy to keep them warm. They even have heated pet food bowls that can keep the wet food from freezing. Yet if you feed on a schedule, most will eat it right away. I used to offer some dry food as well, but wet food was the main entree.

If you are handy, you can build shelters that can keep a cat nice and warm. If you have access to electricity you can even add heat pads or heaters. Here is a look at some of the shelters I have built throughout the years. Shelters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please do consider bringing him inside. He seems like an abandoned pet and his adjustment to inside living might be easy. If you could get him to the vet, then it shouldn't be too hard to get him inside. Just use a cat carrier.

There are lots of us here to help you along the way. Thank you for wanting to help improve Mr. Beefy's life.
Thanks for the quick response. The reason for not bringing Mr. Beefy inside is our dog Mugsy, a 13yr old rescued Shar-Pei /Clumber mix with a bad shoulder that is very susceptible to injury. He is a cat chaser. I've closed off our kitchen and opened the door and Beefy comes in like he owns the place. It is really because of Mugsy that we do not bring him to live in the house.

IMG_0487.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of plans out there for building an outdoor cat home, really only limited by your budget! Everything from a Sterilite tote with styrofoam lining to elaborate cat castles. You can get a heater for it, if winters in your area are very cold.

You might also consider microchipping him and having him wear a collar and tags. That way if he roams, everybody knows he has a home now.

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_2381.jpg

I improvised a shelter last February using an old covered litter box and nylon cat bed without the cotton cover. He went right inside and loved it. It was a very mild winter here in Southeast PA but we planned to bring him into our enclosed sun room if the temperature dropped much below freezing. Once the weather warmed up, he preferred to sleep on the welcome mat and not in the shelter. He's a cat after all. For the coming winter, I took an old cooler and added a magnetic cat door with the lock removed after seeing something similar on Etsy. I also ordered a thermal crate pad with a mylar reflective layer, which is due to be delivered tomorrow. I'll get him used to it without the door and then add the door back when the temperature dips. I assume this is going to be warm enough without an electric heater.
IMG_2549.jpg

Good advice for winter feeding. He's been living outside for about a year and a half. I sit with him every morning as he eats his wet food. Sadly, he constantly looks over his shoulder even with me there. I put small amounts of dry food out during the day and visit with him. I think this helps keep him close to our house. A lot of people have cats around here that go out during the day. When our elderly neighbor used to feed him two houses down, I broke up a couple of fights between him and a cat further down the street. I don't think he goes back to his old territory, but you never know. I don't put food out without seeing him first and wait for him to finish. I don't want to attract any of the foxes or skunks we have in the neighborhood.

Our vet thinks he's about three years old. We really didn't think of him as our cat when we took him to the vet, but next time he'll get a Microchip.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy! It seems he definitely thinks he’s yours Your wonderful for taking over his care

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_2550.jpg

The x-small thermal crate pad came yesterday afternoon and fits the cooler perfectly. Since it's unusually warm right now and both the cooler and cat door are new to Mr. Beefy, I fabricated a hold open for the door. He went right in and spent the night. I also enlarged the drain hole which is now at the top in the back to make sure moisture doesn't build up inside once the door is able to close. I had no problems teaching our previous cats to use an identical door between our kitchen and basement. Our back porch is open but has a roof that protects his house from rain and snow. Mr. Beefy is totally chill.

P3210019.jpg

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My, he is a beefy boy! He must have been a tom for many years before the TNR people got him.

That's a great kitty house! He'll be toasty warm this winter.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update. So happy that he has found his way inside!! He looks very happy!!!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Always nice to hear about homeless cats being taken in and cared for by such caring people. God bless

rvsarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been a while, but Mr. Beefy has been a 100% indoor cat since June and quite content. He became friendly with our elder dog Mugsy, but unfortunately Mugsy passed away later in the month. We just got a new puppy this week, so we'll see how that goes.

Attachments

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so happy to hear Mr Beefy has been strictly indoors now. I hope you plan on keeping him inside. I’m also sad to hear about Mugsy’s passing. Be patient and give Mr Beefy and your new puppy time to adjust to each other. It’s very hard when when of our pets pass away. I lost an adorable 11 month old kitten in March…still cry for him everyday.
ps. I had brought a feral cat inside last year, she’s been inside since but it took months before she would let me pet her but she has adjusted very well.
God bless.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for updating us with such good news about Mr. Beefy. I am sorry for your loss of Mugsy though. Since Mr. Beefy was friendly to Mugsy and since the new dog is a puppy it should not be that hard to introduce and acquaint them.

wilmadawn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would imagine that he might adapt to inside living. I have brought 7 outside feral/stray cats to live inside my house. Two years ago I brought 3 feral cats to live inside my house. I had been caring for them for many years on my deck. I moved and brought them with me and made them all inside cats. It took them awhile to adjust, but it has been a wonderful experience. One of the cats was 8 years old at the time and had never ever been inside a house.

I used a spare bedroom and cleared out most of the furniture. Previously with other feral or stray cats I had brought inside, I had just removed the bed or placed it flat on the floor. Under the bed is the first place a cat will run to hide and it's nearly impossible to get them out. I also blocked under and behind any large furniture. I wanted the cats to be more out in the open. I had a cat tree with a hiding box and also provided their former outdoor shelters. This allowed them to feel safe.

I used 4 litter boxes and used Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. It worked like a charm. All 3 used the litter box immediately.

Also you must be watchful for windows or screens. Make sure they are tightly closed.

The "safe room" ( which can also be a bathroom) will be the room they remain in until they are used to inside living. Some cats when brought inside will yowl and howl. Others will be silent. I often used Feliway plug ins to help. Lots of visits to the room. Yet, once inside, you would want him to stay inside. That's why remaining in the safe room for a few weeks is necessary. Too much too soon and it's very over whelming and the cat will only want to escape.

I'm doing something similar right now, I brought in a semi feral cat. She's only about a year old and have her in our guest bedroom, its the only place I have to put her. She does go under the bed but I can sometimes manage to pet her under there, it's only been a day and a half but how long did it take your cats to feel comfortable wandering the house? I feel bad as I know she would prefer to be outside but I also know I'm saving her from that outside feral life. Her sister got hit by a car (pregnant) and I just cant let her back outside after getting her spayed.

I just want her to be as comfortable as possible, I know she may never be the lovey dovey kitty that will curl up in your lap and that's OK with me.