Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

How Do I Care For A Cat With Broken Jaw?

SweetiePie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Apr 8, 2019
Northeast Ohio
Do things gradually. Try a small amount first if you are able and see if she is still interested. Then I would slowly increase. In the meantime, maybe there is another way to supplement the therapy and I am sure you are looking being the good mother that you are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Sep 24, 2019
I'm sorry to say this is the exact opposite to what I can do. Her throat might be getting progressively clogged with the tumor... and the food needs to be progressively more liquid...

I'm sorry. I'm not okay today. Yesterday she ate a lot. Today she's not eating. Because it's her third sugery and she has her jaw compromised, we decided not to do any more surgeries... but I'm afraid she's going to die from starvation. We are going to have to put her down, not because of pain, but because she won't be able to eat... this is horrible. She's well and ok and this is what gets her? It's just not fair. What the heck am I supposed to do.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Nov 22, 2017
Texas
Have you tried Kitten Milk Replacement? AKA KMR. TCS members appear to have more success with the powdered form rather than the premixed form.

Has the vet checked her throat for obstructions in the past few days?

You. are making a tremendous effort in caring for your cat!

Please kee
p us updated.

SweetiePie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Apr 8, 2019
Northeast Ohio
Hi NadiaRey,
I understand….we understand. Many of us have generally gone through something similar to what you are going through. Unfortunately we can empathize. You are a champion and continue to be a wonderful parent. I can only tell you what you already know. She has been fighting cancer for a while now. This latest surgery was even tough to read about so living through it is traumatic for both of you. She is with you now and this IS the gift. She has been supported and loved dearly through her illness and no animal on this planet could ask for anything more. Its OK to be NOT OK. Just be strong for her and continue doing what you need to do for her.

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Sep 24, 2019
I just had to drop by to tell you all: she's eating! She's eating and she's playing!

Apparently yesterday was a "bad day". She laid down a lot, wasn't eating -like I told you-, and was even trembling through the night... And today she's running around the garden like a maniac, playing with me, eating gladly! (I wanted to take a video of her running to share. But of course she stopped when I reached over with the cellphone... that little troll...)

Apparently, changing the food did the trick - because she's still rejecting chicken, and even the wet food. I gave her leftover (cow) meat and suddenly she's eating like crazy. (***, Sueño?)

I cannot tell you just how stupidly glad I am. So it was not the tumor clogging the throat, thanks god. And I know this might only be a "good day", just like yesterday was bad, but man I hope it lasts.

Anyways, I needed to tell you, because I know my last post was a downer, I just dropped my frustrations on you. And I wanted to say I'm sorry. I am pretty much using this place to vent now. I know you are not my theraphists. (You should start charging me honestly lol) and I'm pretty sure this is now what I'm supposed to do in the thread... On the other hand, it does feel like I can talk to you about this even better than with a therapist so... well, anyways. Sorry. And thank you.

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Sep 24, 2019
Well, you are all awesome. It would be one thing if we bonded over our love for cats and sharing minor inquiries, and then something like this strikes... But knowing I came to you in this state and I got this welcome, I just want to tell you again you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Honestly, I come do updates here more than the GoFundme. Not that there's much of an update. She still has bad days and good days, every other day. Though last good day wasn't great, and today being a bad day it wasn't that gloomy. It's kind of a mixed bag, in general. For example, her mouth is a lot less swollen, but she needs even more help eating... and the ganglia seems to be swollen and I'm begging the universe it's not the metastasis returning...

I was going to let you know about other things that had worked. But what was working yesterday isn't now any more. She was eating pig (what we call 'solomillo') up until very early today. And just a few hours ago I managed to feed her cow meat and some wet food. I also offered chicken and fish but she rejected everything. I gave her mackarel... that lady eats better than I do, I swear. And she still rejected it...

She does eat a lot of yogurt, though... I know I'm not supposed to, because of additives and sugar, but it does help her go to the toilet. And really, I just want to give her whatever she wants... Anyways. I guess that's everything I can offer in terms of an update. Thanks for listening.

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Sep 24, 2019
Just wanted to let you know: 1-the tumor reappeared, 2-she has kidney problems now, and 3-despite everything, she's still eating. Weirdly enough, she hasn't been having "bad days", but apparently that's no indication of everything being better. The diet seemed to help, though, and I got too optimistic because of that... And her mood is good, or good enough. Next week I should be getting a batch of the immunotheraphy treatment... at this point I don't want to jinx it.

Dietwise... she had managed to eat on her own the last couple of days, that's why I was so happy. Now it's back to feeding her with a finger. Don't get me wrong, she eats and that's a lot. But experience tells, once the tumor reappears, it grows frickingly fast.

... I was going to give this advise for future cases like mine to do this fitotheraphy, you know. Bluberry, pomegranate, curcuma, coconut oil, green (and chamomile) tea, tomato, to be cooked along with meat (pork or chicken in my case, in slices). And wetfood and tuna (omega-3) as extras. I really thought I was on to something. And maybe I was (the swelling hasn't returned) and it's just that *her* cancer is just fricking horrible...

PS. I notice I didn't answer a couple of questions here. Sorry, I actually wrote something but I think it got lost due to a bad connection. I never heard of KMR. I'm gonna look it up. Thanks, ArchyCat. And yes, we did the feeding tube earlier, rubysmama, and we are considering it for the critical part of the tumor evolution. But she'd only be able to feed in liquids and that's not much in terms of nutrition. And if that's what's gonna take... Sorry, I'm in a bad place right now. I always seem to be when I come here, sorry about that.

Furballsmom

Cat Fan especially Black Cats
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Jan 9, 2018
Colorado USA
KMR is Kitten Milk Replacer - and we understand, we're here to help and support you, no need to apologize.

Here are a couple of other things, have you tried goat milk? Cats can handle it better than cow milk and it has extra nutrition benefits.
Also, these two recipes could help as well;

http://kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html

SweetiePie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Apr 8, 2019
Northeast Ohio
Thank you for the update.

It is exactly a year ago that our family lost my namesake, Sweetie Pie. We all had a good cry today and really shared some great memories. Thank you for letting me remember her in this thread. It helps!!

We are with you and Sueño. Sending thoughts, prayers and love. :vibes: