How Did Your Male Cat's Personality Change After Neutering?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one thing I notice at the shelter I volunteer at is that intact make cats that come in are often EXTREMELY affectionate. Like to the point of aggressively rubbing their face on you and demanding all the attention. After neutering often times their personality changes. They are still affectionate but nearly as much so. Some are but many aren't.

There have been a couple that I swear resent the fact that they were neutered. Like one kitty who was sweet before his neuter but afterwards was gun-shy and suspicious.

Have you noticed anything like this?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mine were neutered as soon as they were big enough, around 3 months. Too young to really tell if changes were due to age and growing up or the surgery. Of mine one is still just as much of a love bug as before. The other is more distant then as a tiny baby but I think its his personality; he has his moments of affection. Although I am interested to see what people with adult cats experiences are.

I wouldn't be surprised if what you are seeing is more a factor of environment and the stress of the surgery combined with it.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I adopted Charlie when he was six months old, so he had already been neutered by the shelter at the time. He's very affectionate (when he's in the mood). Most of the neutered males I knew were also calm and affectionate (except for one I cat sat for who didn't leave his hiding place and hissed whenever I walked by). I think a lot of the reason for some personality change might be the hormones, as whole males will be more territorial and aggressive.

Lilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Siamese cat was neutered at 7 months. He is very affectionate and quiet. After neutering he was no longer smelly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my favorite shelter kitty was neutered in Monday. Before that he was super affectionate. He demanded cuddles all the time and would give you kisses back if you gave him kisses. When I saw him on Friday and Saturday he was like a different cat. Kind of aloof and calm. I hope the changes aren't permanent!

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lots of stray male kitties come into the shelter. Many times they are EXTREMELY affectionate. Head bunting like crazy, giving kisses, and total lap cats. I notice that after their neuter surgery, they calm down considerably. They don’t head bunt as much and are less affectionate. Is the neutering causing this personality change? Has anyone else seen this happen before?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd think, and this is only guesswork and a bit of projection, that they are reacting to a combination of discomfort from the surgery and the fact that their hormone levels are readjusting, which can take awhile before actually settling down. Other than that, I dunno. Some of that affection may be frustrated mating activity, as well.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My opinion based on my own cats. For many cats the first traumatic experience for them is their spay or neuter. Left without owners, being held by strangers and waking up in pain do affect them. For a kitty who was feral or ownerless, it is sort of a reinforcement that humans can't be trusted. So no surprise they are withdrawn or less affectionate at first. Most cats bounce back and forget about it quickly but sensitive cats may take longer.

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd think, and this is only guesswork and a bit of projection, that they are reacting to a combination of discomfort from the surgery and the fact that their hormone levels are readjusting, which can take awhile before actually settling down. Other than that, I dunno. Some of that affection may be frustrated mating activity, as well.
This is a really good point and I think it might be it. After surgery their hormone levels plummet and it takes time for their body to adjust and return to a baseline. Some hormones they won’t make again, but others they will. I just wonder how long it takes. Usually the cats are adopted within a week of getting there which works out to 3-4 days after being fixed. In the 3-4 days I can say they are still very lethargic in comparison.

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my boys neutered a bit late, at around 8 months (single, disabled cat mom going to college...it took a while to get things lined up) and by that time their personalities were definitely showing. I noticed no changes in them that couldn't be attributed to maturing, they're both just as affectionate, quirky, clumsy, and eager to get into trouble! Heck, even right after their being neutered they were just as hyper, drove me up the walls with worry because even though they were still CLEARLY feeling the sedatives they were bouncing around. Their pee stopped smelling so terribly though, I was super grateful for that.

CatWoman84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I know this post was in 2017 but I am in exactly the same position. I have had a cat from a rescue/shelter and we had him because he was extremely fussy and overly affectionate. However, he has been neutered for about 3 weeks now (1 week prior to us adopting him but he came to us with collar still on as he had a granuloma) Since he has had collar removed he is like a completely different cat he is more aloof and doesn't particularly want to come to you for fuss. What I wanted to know is those cats whose personality seemed to change (less affectionate) did they go back to how they were originally (overly affectionate) or just stay less affectionate after neutering and the collar?

Many thanks

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't notice much of a change when one of mine was neutered (the other having been neutered before I saw him for the first time). They both grew more affectionate as time went on.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had one of our cats neutered at 6 months. He was all raging hormones at that point - very affectionate and very playfully aggressive. I don't remember specifically the weeks after neutering, but it took time for the aggressiveness to work its way out of his system but he pretty much went back to his old playful and affectionate self.

Don't forget - at the 6 month period when a lot of cats are neutered, is also when they go through other personality changes - often referred to on TCS as their teenager period. That could be part of what you are seeing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When cats first show up at a shelter, they're feeling insecure and showing affection is a way to help with that. Usually the neutering is done a couple days later, and so they've settled down a bit. I think that's probably what someone in a shelter setting would see.

I've never seen dramatic personality changes from my own cats. Less aggression and spraying if they were neutered as adults, that's about it. If they're neutered before the hormones kick in I don't see any changes.

CatWoman84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was in foster care for approximately 4 weeks prior to us having him. We went to see him before adopting and he still had his vet collar on from the granuloma following the neutering which he had done a week prior. He was extremely fussy and really loving. He had to keep his vet collar on for a further week and during this time he remained the same. Then when the vet collar was removed he seemed to be really aloof, not coming to us for a fuss a complete personality change. I was wondering if this was due to the neutering or collar being removed and would he potentially go back to how he was previously?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He is probably still adapting to his new home and trying to get over all of the changes he has been through. Sometimes that will make a cat aloof for a while as they try to adapt to their new life/environment. He was likely feeling a bit insecure when you first met him, and especially so with the collar on - making him more needy for attention and affection.

Now that he is recovering from that aspect and is feeling better, the neediness has been replaced with getting used to his new home. I would guess you will see him warm up as time passes.

Is he the only cat in the home? If not, that can also have an impact on his behavior as well.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was about 7/8 years old when he was neutered. He was previously an unneutered tom cat living on my parents farm. He doesn't spray anymore, but otherwise his personality is still very loving and affectionate.