How Did Your Cat Handle Doxycycline?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! My kitty needs to be on this for a month to treat a red blood cell parasite. He was on clavamox recently but got so sick I had to stop (different issue). I've been told this is far more gentle but I still worry. What are your kitties experiences on doxy? He is on proviable so that should help with the good bacteria

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I haven't had a cat on Doxy, but HAVE had a couple cats that could not take Clavamox. Nasty stuff, that.

I suspect your little guy may get diarrhea even with the proviable, but that may just have to happen if he is in need of it :sigh:. Did he have nausea on Clavamox? That's what happened to mine. Anyway, if he does get diarrhea, someone said they used pumpkin to try to help stop it (while on Doxy), along with probiotics, and remember to spread out the timing so you aren't giving probiotics and antibiotics around the same time.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Oh clavamox was absolutely awful. He didnt eat for days I suspect when I took him back the IV and fluids he was hooked on flushed it out of his system. He gagged even smelling his favorite foods. Diarrhea I dont think was too bad but the nausea was unacceptable. No anti nausea helped either poor thing was miserable. He had it for a day and a half and I threw it out and took him back in scheduled for a feeding tube to be put in but theh ended up not since he started eating once he was hooked up to the IV a few hours later... never again! I just know with doxy a LOT of water after. I gave him 8mls after his first dose this evening and some treats. If any cat will get diarrhea it will be him though. Rx clay really has helped him lately and he loved pumpkin

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Two of my cats reacted the exact same way to the Clavamox. I thought they were dying from it. The Vet actually marked it on their charts that they were never to have it again!

Yes, I forgot about lots of water after Doxy! So glad he likes pumpkin. That should help. Personally, I'd rather use that than RX clay, but if it's needed, than of course, anything to make him comfy, right?

Hoping the Doxy does the trick and he starts feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I just kept giving him water until he was trying to run away lol I actually got esophagitis once from doxy I was sick for months! Awful. Cats can die from that so I'm not messing around he's getting all the water i can give him!

I thought he was dying too it was so awful. And the fact it was liquid made it so much worse he just would wretch after it. He takes pills like a pro hes the kind of cat you'd use in those demonstration videos on how to pill a cat.

andreiamlm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, do you still remember how it went with the doxy? was it in a pill form or liquid? any advice? my cat is not eating after two days of doxy, just little food seems like it's nausea. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's to treat anaplasma a blood parasite that he has probably since he was a baby and was never found till now ( he's almost 7). I'm so worried! thank you so much!

sophwolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I just kept giving him water until he was trying to run away lol I actually got esophagitis once from doxy I was sick for months! Awful. Cats can die from that so I'm not messing around he's getting all the water i can give him!

I thought he was dying too it was so awful. And the fact it was liquid made it so much worse he just would wretch after it. He takes pills like a pro hes the kind of cat you'd use in those demonstration videos on how to pill a cat.
hello! My cat is currently on Doxy but not interested in food at all. Even has an anti-nausea and appetite stimulant but yesterday she had zero interest in anything I gave her. Did you have better luck?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
hello! My cat is currently on Doxy but not interested in food at all. Even has an anti-nausea and appetite stimulant but yesterday she had zero interest in anything I gave her. Did you have better luck?
This thread is actually a couple years old. If you don't get any response, maybe start up a new thread and tell is what is wrong with your cat (the reason she is on Doxy) and we might be able to better help you.

Oh, I remember now you already have a thread going on your cat, Zara, correct? It's probably the Anemia that is causing her lack of appetite. Ask you Vet if you can switch to a different appetite stimulant, but continue to syringe feed her. You might discuss with your Vet which foods would be best to feed too, to increase her PCV.

Last edited:

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bumping this thread up…

Has anyone had experience giving a fussy cat this medicine? Were you able to mix it into wet food and the cat ate it like normal? Was it pill or liquid form? Any bad side effects? My cat won’t take it by syringe or pill by mouth.

Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know of ANY cat who willingly takes pills. See if any of these tips help. If not, see if you can get your Vet to write a prescription to have the medication compounded into some other form that might be more palatable, and/or ask if you can crush it and add it to some very stinky food. But if you do that you must make sure your cat eats ALL of the food to make sure they get all of the drug. Personally, I like the last tip listed below the best.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bumping this thread up…

Has anyone had experience giving a fussy cat this medicine? Were you able to mix it into wet food and the cat ate it like normal? Was it pill or liquid form? Any bad side effects? My cat won’t take it by syringe or pill by mouth.

Thanks!

Liquid doxycycline can be flavored to make it more appealing. A compounding pharmacy can do this with a prescription from the vet. Pet friendly flavors typically include chicken, beef, tuna, cheese, and bacon. I once had doxycycline flavored with chicken and mixed a dose into a small amount of canned food. My cat ate it all up. I then found that he would just drink the flavored doxycycline straight from the syringe since it was so yummy tasting to him.

Doxycycline can be compounded into other forms such as a flavored chew treat, capsules which you can open and sprinkle the medicine directly into canned food or moist treat, and paste form. Compounding can be expensive so may not be worth the expense if a pet only needs to be on the doxycycline until the infection is cleared up and gone, usually no more than a week or so.

Pills can be hidden inside a Pill Pocket or other similar flavored pill dough or a moist treat of some kind.

The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.