How Did You Get Your Feral To Be Touched Once Indoors And How Long?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know it has only been 2 months (although, I had fed her outside for nearly a year), but I wish so much I could pet her. She will eat treats near my hand, so that is good, but if I try to pet her she cringes. Today, I guess I got too close and she clawed at me. I feel badly I scared her, I just want so much to pet her. She can't be touched at all.

Plus, I don't want to have to drug her every time she needs to go to the vet or in case of emergency, evacuation, moving, etc.

Did I just set her back today? :oops:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I wouldn't worry too much..it's only been 2 months! We have 12 indoor cats--8 of whom came from our yard. 3 are truly semi-feral--one was already TNR'd when we grabbed her in January, but the other two had showed up in our yard with kittens.
It will vary in how long it takes. The first feral mom, who we've had 5 years, will only let my husband pet her. She still recoils if I try to touch her. The second feral mom was probably a stray, because she warmed up to us within a couple of months and we can pet her if careful. The latest one is getting friendlier but we're not pushing it.
Do you know some of the tricks, such as:
Making your hand into a fist when you approach kitty to pet her? I've read it looks more like another cat's head and less scary than a human hand.
Have you crushed catnip into your hands & then try to pet?

I wouldn't worry too much just yet about setbacks. You've been good with setting a routine and having kitty associate you with good things like food and toys? She has her own space to hang out? Do you have other cats, so she can witness you being nice to them? Have you tried Feliway plugs ins or spray?

Lastly--about getting to vet and such--hopefully you have a vet who understands the Feral Thing where sometimes you just can't bring them in. Some vets will prescribe meds for illnesses with obvious symptoms like worms or possible UTI. My last resort, a couple of times, has been to ask my rescue lady friend to come grab the cat for me. Then I give a decent donation as thanks.
I hope this helped a bit. I keep ALL the cats indoors so they're not exposed to bugs or possible injury. Don;t worry--things will improve with time. Let me know if any specific questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have dipped my fingers in catnip, chicken broth, etc. I have not tried the "fist" thing yet, that is a good idea and it does make sense! It is about the size of a cat's head! :bicolorcat:

The one you had for 5 years that only your husband can touch - how long until he was able to? How long have you had your current one that you are still working with? You can't touch her at all yet? :runningcat:

Yes, I have other cats - she seems to have no problem with them. :blackcat2:

I have had zero luck with Feliway or calming chews so would not buy them again.