How did you come up with your cats name?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley.... we named him that after our new Harley Davidson we had gotten right before him. It fit him perfectly

Davidson.... well, it just fit
Harley - Davidson!
I shoulda named him cuddle bug, he's such a cuddler!

Its fun, we have all Harley Davidson stuff for them - collars, bowls, toys - everything, fits them both perfectly

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost all of our cats have had people names; some have even had biographies, once I got to know them well enough. If I listed them all, it would take an hour, so just the ones we have now.

Sophie-Mary: named for my great aunt Sophie Bierbaum (yes, that was her real name!) and my Aunt Mary
Jack: named for my great, great, great grandfather, a Civil War vet who
survived the sinking of the Sultana after being released from a prison camp. He's known around here as Cap'n Jack.
Rufus: wanted to call him Rupert after one of my favorite "Survivor" contestants, but Rufus rolls off the tongue easier.
Charlotte: named after Bette Davis' character in the movie "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte"
Bridget: I have lots of Irish ancestors, & this is my way of honoring them.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gemini - She was born in june. We were going to make this a theme until our next cat came along and they had the same birthday (1 year apart)

Apache - Came with this name. She was the kitten of my mother's aunt's cat. My mother's aunt said "I call her Apache because she wraps herself around your leg like a little Apache Indian" To this day, none of us know what on earth she was talking about.

Mayhem - was found in the parking lot behind one of my favorite stores, Medieval Mayhem

Azrael - named after Gargamel's cat on the smurfs because he is just a mischevious little boy

Jack - because I had Will & Grace on and he kept swatting at Jack on the tv

John Doe - he showed up at our house out of nowhere and lived on our front porch for three months. I figured John Doe fit since we didn't know who he was.

Peewee - He looks like Peewee Herman. I'm working on photographic evidence of this.

Isosceles - is all white with a perfect black triangle on the back of her head

Samson - since he and Isosceles used to hang out together all the time, at first they were named Samson and Delilah. Once we noticed the triangle, her name got changed but his stayed the same.

Bootsy & Tabby - because of their markings

Max - is an all black cat named after "Max Meen" from The Great Race

As for Angel, Gizmo, Cleo: I haven't the foggiest idea... I didn't help pick those names

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8-Bit Wolfgang and Scratch Fury Destroyer of Worlds, my two boys. I'll start with Scratch first because his is fairly simple. He is named after the cat in the web comic PVP. We also named him that because it is the total opposite of his personality. Scratch is the most mild mannered kitty I've ever met.

8-Bit Wolfgang is a tad longer story. 8-Bit is after the Nintendo Entertainment System. My husband and I are huge gamers, so we thought that fit. Wolfgang was supposed to be my husband's middle name when he was born. My MIL *forgot* to add it to the birth certificate. When we were married the justice of the peace said our full names. After the wedding, my FIL asked DH what had happened to Wolfgang. We then decided that, if we had a son, his middle name would be Wolfgang. Recently, due to medical reasons, my husband and I have decided to not have children. So 8-Bit's middle name is Wolfgang.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest was set to keep Tiger since the day he was born. I wasn't and have never been fond of orange kitties. (please, don't shoot me guys
) but he was insistant on him and I caved.. He turned out to be the biggest, sweetest most beautiful boy

Reilly was left by a neighbor in thier house for a couple days along with her sister after they moved. I originally had her other sister Lily but the landlord took her ( long story) so when I heard Reilly I HAD to have her. I just looked at her and said "Reilly". It's neither masculine nor feminine and neither is Reilly

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I named our cat.... with great difficulty!!!!!!!
Our first kitty was named Byron because we loved Byron Bay in Australia as a holiday spot, and it has a cool lighthouse that my husband likes...

Genevieve came with her name from the shelter when we fostered her, then we adopted her and she was known at the vets as Genevieve already, so didn't want to change it, but thought it was too long, so we were calling her our "stumpy girl" because of her stumpy tail that got amputated. Then we adopted her and Stumpy stuck
It's much easier to say!

And naming the current kitten.... This is just so hard! I went through heaps of cat naming websites, and sent a whole heap to my husband, and we both agreed that Stormy was nice. But now I'm home and calling her Stormy, it sounds silly. Sigh... I'm just too picky I think. I also liked Bundy (after our favourite drink, Bundaberg Rum), and Kimba which is bush fire in Aboriginal. That's kind of fitting since there's lots of bush fires in Australia, and her coat is an ashen colour with little flecks of orange "fire".

And FooterOwnsMe - I'm the same - I don't like naming my cats people names either!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I named Ansel after photographer Ansel Adams whose work I love.

When it came time to pick a name for Zan, I knew I wanted her to have a name that started with a Z, just because it was at the opposite end of the alphabet from A (ansel). I was leaning towards Zoey, but a niece of mine had a cat at the time named Zoey. I kept narrowing it down and Zan was my final choice. Most sites I visited said it was a male name, but some listed it as male or female. It means well fed.

When Bella was born last September, I wasn't supposed to be keeping any of the kittens. It turned out that the person who was supposed to take her changed her mind....and she had already become my favorite of the three. I was originally going to name her Blue (for obvious reasons), but then I changed to Bella after I heard someone mention a cat they knew of who looked like her and it was named Bella, which means beautiful.

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our kitten, Libby, was named after something geeky!

My husband and I met online, on a game called City of Heroes. The particular sever we met on was Liberty server, so that's what we called her. Libby for short

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had always loved the name Sierra and had long since felt I would name my first daughter this, and so I did. When Sierra found me, my precious little three day old baby, I became her Mommy, and she became my life. There was never any second thought, her name was Sierra.

Serenity found us when she was about three weeks old, very sick and starving along side the road. I had cared for kittens in this manner previously, but had needed to rehome them all since Sierra, being an only child for 11 years, insisted they go. There was something about Serenity, though, and she became an immediate member of the family. We were meant to be, of course. I did want an S name for Serenity, and she actually went a few days as "My Little Birdie" because of her tiny little birdie chirp. She still has this same voice, so that remains her nickname! She has her own thread of when she joined us and everyone had excellent suggestions for her name, with Serenity put forth by one of my closest friends here on the site, and she ultimately named herself.

My sweet girlies!

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My step daughter named Tweek cause when we adopted her she freaked out during the car ride..... I gave Echo his name because he meows ALL the time. Speaking of which where did he run too?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I named my kitty Scratch because when we were driving home after we got her, the song Cat Scratch Fever was on the radio. :p

Originally Posted by lookingglass

Scratch is the most mild mannered kitty I've ever met.
That's just like with my kitty! She has never bit/hissed/scratched at anyone.

For my rainbow bridge kitties:
JC: When we first got her we couldn't think of a name, so we started calling her Just Cat but shortened that to JC.
Flash: My brother named her after a superhero of some sort, I think.

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nightcrawler- When my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] moved down here in 03 he was still healing from the loss of his solid white cat Sunny. To help him heal I suggested we get a kitten. He ended up picking out a tiny solid black male kitten and named him Nightcrawler after a high school nickname of his. He sadly had a very short life with us and passed away at barely a year old.

Samuel- Three weeks into Nightcrawlers life with us he was driving me insane. His favorite pastime was to hunt and attack MY bare feet. He needed a playmate so we got a second kitten. I went through a dozen names until my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] yelled at me and said I had ten seconds to name him or he would go back. I yelled out Sam and it has stuck ever since. It soon became Samuel and then Samuel Lenard Catson after watching a Samuel L. Jackson movie. lol

Stormy- After Nightcrawler passed away Samuel was a lonely boy. we decided he needed a new buddy and ended up bringing home two tiny girl kittens, Stormy and Angie. Stormy (Storm ball) got her name because she was a little black fluff ball as a kitten only she had a tiny little white spot by her left ear. That is her little rain cloud.

Angie- Angieâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name is really Angel because she has two black spots on her back right where an angels wings would be. Her name later became Angelica LeeAnne Catson because Samuel has always been close to her since the day she came home. We joke that she is his wife.

Bull- Samuel and Angie had kittens this last march. Bull was the firstborn and he was such a stinker from the moment he popped out. I tried to move him to the side while Angie was giving birth to his brothers and sisters but he was literally up and crawling just an hour after he was born. Being frustrated and tired I said “this lil guy is so bullheaded itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s unreal!†It stuck and so did he. In keeping with the tradition of long corny formal names he is now Bullyard Brunsworth Catson.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted a somali name for Mosi (him being a Somali cat) but couldn't find any I liked so settled for a swahili name (close!). Mosi means first born and he was the first of his litter to be born, and it was his mum's first litter. After I chose it I found out it is also an american indian word meaning cat, which is nice. It also rhymes with nosy which is very apt - he gets called nosy mosi a lot. The M also fits in with his mum and dad whose names both begin with M too.

Jaffa was so named because he's orange. I also read about a cat called Jaffa who was winning the household pet category in a lot of shows over here at the time and liked the name. His full name is Jaffa Cake Stripey Paws

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo got her name because when I first saw her at 4 weeks old she looked like a little Gremlin.

Egor got his name because when he was a baby kitten his head was so large and his eyes were so big my son said it reminded him of Dr. Frankenstiens Egor.

Button was named by my daughters BF.

Jasper was named by my daughter.

Moochie was named because he was such a Mooch for food when he was a baby. He also is called Moochacho by my BF.

Charmin was named because her fur was so soft like Charmin TP

Uno was named because she was the only kitten born in a litter

Jasmine was named after a cat we had when my kids were little.

Bob was named because well he just looked like a Bob.

Penelope was named after a suggestion I got on here on what to name her.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lee name Phenom after his go kart chasis. Then we got Phantom and Phantom Racing Chasis makes the Phenom and Phantom seemed like a good fit so we have Phenom and Phantom. Plus the dog named Bandit after go karts too! LOL

tunaqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting and fun reading how we all named our cats!

Pyewackett was named after a cat that belonged to a so-called witch that was executed during Puritan times. He bewitched me at first sight, so it fit.

Misty was named by my then 7 yr old daughter. We had to change his name to MR Misty after his "package" finally descended a few weeks later.

Kahlua was named after the drink by my husband, her fur had that Kahlua & cream look to it, browns and tans all swirled together.

Although VooDoo is the sweetest big muff of fluff around, she always looks like she's up to something devious.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like themes, so I'm on a Greek Mythology theme right now

Pandora- fit because she's black & white, like a Panda bear, and she likes to get in trouble!! I mostly call her Pandy or Pandemonium

Antigone- she's a tiger-striped girl, I call her mostly Tig or Tigalicious
Demeter- had a hard time picking out another girl's name, but it fits her, I call her Meme for short, actually I shriek it: MEME!!!!!!!!!
Ismene- in mythology, Ismene is Antigone's sister, and they are marked very similarly, her nickname is Iz or Izzy
Zeus- that's just a cool name! my little Zeusel Streusel

Medusa- also a cool name! she's black, so it just seemed to fit

Sapphire- came with her name, almost changed it to Pixie or Princess, I still mostly call her Princess or Sapphy
newest additions, not yet in sig:
Nike- little baby girl, who won't stop moving! Nike is the goddess of victory, so I figured it was appropriate
Eros- god of love and boy is this little guy a snuggle-bunny, just last night, on his third night with me, i picked him up and he promptly fell asleep on my shoulder
purrs like a motorboat too, I have a feeling he is going to be very special to me

and lastly,
Jinx- she came with this name also, and knows it very well, so I won't change it, besides, I kinda like it

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LuckyGirl was named by my husband... we found her and she was starving, eating moths, with no tail.... my husband (formerly known as "the cat hater") said well we can't just leave her here, she'll die. So we agreed to take her home from FL to PA and at a minimum, get her to a vet and turn her into a no kill shelter to be adopted. Jazzy & I wanted to call her Puss in Boots, cause she has high white boots on her back legs... but hubby said "nope, if she comes home with us, we're calling her lucky, cause she's lucky she found us, and she's lucky she only lost her tail. So, we called her Lucky, and mostly we call her LuckyGirl, cause we always say "aren't you a lucky girl???" and "who's a lucky girl?" and she responds to that... But really, we are the lucky ones, I couldn't have asked for a greater love in my whole life than LuckyGirl....she is my hero, my baby, & my best friend, and I can't imagine how I ever made it this far without her.

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My baby, Willie..who by the way I'm about to update on about(about his trip to the vet and he was left with nueralogical problems) was nameda few days after we bought him.

I thought I would wait to name him to see what his personality was like. I kept calling him a silly willie and I guess that just stuck. I thought about Willie, and then I realized"Willie Wonka" but I had to chose between one of the two: Willie or Wonka. I chose Willie. My sister wanted to name him Jack and my brother wanted to name him chicken(LOL), but we went with Willie!

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fun thread!

Tink - We found her abandoned by her mom at 2 weeks old and took her in. She was so tiny and delicate...Erik came up with Tinkerbell, after the pixie in Peter Pan. It fit her so well, and it still does. She's so dainty and pretty.

Minnie - We thought it'd be cute to stick with the Disney theme, so we threw around some ideas and my brother came up with Minnie (because of her markings). At first I didn't like it because I haaaate Minnie Mouse...but it's a great fit for her and I couldn't see her named anything else now.

Jazmine - I came up with this name, again in the Disney theme. I thought it'd be so cute to call her Jazzy for short. It's a perfect name for her too, because she's our girly-girl...I often call her Princess Jazmine, lol, what a coincidence.

Trixie - We got away from the Disney theme with her, but stayed in the cartoon genre. My mom came up with her name...she has three legs and runs EVERYWHERE she goes...you'd think she'd have all her legs by how fast she is. We started laughing and called her Speed Racer before she got her name...then my mom thought of Trixie, his girlfriend (my mom was a huge Speed Racer fan growing up). It's a cute, playful name...and it fits her personality.

Figaro - He's the token male in our household now. He was originally named Hercules, because he's a big, strong cat...but we decided it didn't fit him and we're saving it for our first dog. I thought of Figaro, the cat from Pinocchio, and it fit him too well to pass up.