How Did You Come Up With Your Cat's Name?

Wolfwhisper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like to name cats after wild cats, one cat a had a few years ago was named Tiger. The cat I have now is called Panther. The reason I named him that is simple; his black fur. He also has reddish brown on his legs and tail where the sun has faded his fur, and I can see faint stripes there. That's why he's called Panther :3

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to stick to names that are beverages, or alcoholic beverages even if I do not drink alcohol. LOL.

So my cats are Bourbon, Barley, Pepsi and some of my fosters I named Whiskey, Bailey, Brandy.

I have ran out of names, so my youngest kitty my husband chose the name - GRAHAM.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mother Cat (aka MC) was named by my mother, because she had kittens and my mum gave them away, i guess she felt bad about it and named her mother cat.

Leo was named because he reminded me of a tiger i kept trying to give him other names but for some reason i kept calling him leo.

Atlas was named from the character in astro boy cartoon.

Oatis was named after the movie milo and oatis. I know Oatis was the pugs name and i dont know why my sister chose that name, i guess it suited him for some reason lol.

Ginger was named ginger because he was simply gingered in colour.

Blacky was a stray cat that hanged around rarely maybe every three weeks he would show up, but he would sit there in the dark at night asking for food i named him that because he was black all over with white paws .

Trusty was a small kitten my dad saved from under a truck which was injured we didnt know that the poor cat stomach was damaged and that is why he was a little bloated, i named him trusty as we planned on keeping him, he was black all over, with white paws and had a little white feather pattern strip on his head, but after two days we realized something was wrong with the poor cat so he was put to sleep :( I remember crying so bad for him.

taralynnallred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My ginger tabby is named Kevin, because I find regular human names for cats are kinda funny, and now it suits him completely. He just looks like a Kevin! And when you have to say his name in exasperation, like when he knocks things off the counter or steals food off my plate, it sounds funny, so I can’t be mad at him! “Awwwww, Kevin!!”
Mavis is an old lady name, in my opinion, and my mom’s best friend when I was growing up. And she looks like an old lady.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nico (avatar) was named after Nico D'Angelo from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan (my favorite series as a teen). Nico was the son of Hades, and both characters revolved around the color black.

As for my two current boys, I simply found the name Finnegan while looking up names that meant white and/or fair, and put it down on the long list I had for all the names I liked. The more the name rolled around in my brain the more I liked it. Then I remembered my grandma had a good amount of Irish in her, and that she would sing that Michael Finnegan song. His name then had a more personal meaning behind it.

Theodore hit me one day at work. Originally, he was going to be named Little Bear, a tv show I loved as a child. But Theodore just felt right. Eventually, after getting to know his personality more, I decided to name him after the youngest chipmunk, Theodore, from Alvin and The Chipmunks. Both are sweet, a bit chubby, and love food.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Many years ago, I took my cats to a vet that had an office tabby named Tiger Lily. I loved the name and wanted to use it if I ever ended up with a tabby girl. I got my chance in 2004 when I got two kittens from the same litter, one a tabby/tortie and the other a calico. Since I named the torbie Tiger Lily (although I always call her Lily), I decided to stick with the flower theme and call the calico Iris, which is one of my favorite flowers.

In 2017, I adopted a small semi-feral three year old from the sanctuary where I was volunteering. They had named her Martha which did not fit her and which she didn’t recognize anyway. I spent two weeks trying out flower names on her so I could add to my bouquet of kitties, but nothing fit. The Spouse and I were headed to the store one day, and I was bemoaning yet again my inability to find the right name for her (and probably driving him insane in the process). Suddenly he said, “Mocha.” It was perfect for her! And here I thought he had tuned me out. :)

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I had some ideas for names when I was going to pick Willow up, but then I drove past Willow St. and told myself, "You aren't seriously going to name the kitten after a STREET, are you?"

But it fits her perfectly, even if it is rather popular and trendy. It also ties my dogs' names together since all three of them are named after trees. One dog has a very old fashioned 1970s hippie child name so Willow's balances us out.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our friends adopted Kaia’s sister before we got Kaia. They named her Callie. We wanted something that started with a K or a C so they could have similar names....and we just all agreed on Kaia....though we call her Kiki almost all the time.

Binx was named after the cat on Hocus Pocus, just because we think it’s cute!

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shade - She's a dilute calico. I wanted something with a "Sh" sound but didn't want to go with the obvious "Shadow", so I went with Shade because she was a shade different from the typical calico.

Meko - Pronounced may-ko, not mee-ko. Nothing about her name particularly makes sense. Her name is partially a "I like the sound so let's go with that", partially a reference to Final Fantasy VII, and partially a mispronounced contraction of manekineko.

Camo - She's a tortoiseshell, Camo just seemed like a good name based on her color.

Kismet - We raised her from a week-old-kitten and found her completely infested with maggots. People kept suggesting names like "Hope" and "Lucky" so I went with that theme, but picked a less common word.

Peridot - He has green eyes and I found him in August. Pronounced "pear-ih-doe" not "pear-ih-dot".

Henna - After the plant that is commonly used for red hair dye and tattoos. She's a torbie and has tattoo-y markings so it seemed appropriate!

Shiloh - I just happened to like the name.

Ronan - No, not after the Marvel character. I was originally going to go with "Roan" since it mean red-head (he's a red and white tabby), but I just liked the sound of Ronan better.

Mosaic - She's a dilute torbie and white, lots of fun patterns on her. I thought she looked like a mosaic, therefore Mosaic.

Treble - She's mostly white with a little bit of black, and one of the black splotches is in the shape of a music note. Wanted to go with a music-themed name for that reason!

Ashwin - I just liked the name! Was the name of someone I used to work with.