How Did You Choose Your Cat?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purr-fect Purr-fect -- may you be many times blessed! :heartshape::goldstar: Your big cats are magnificent!

corvidae corvidae -- Welcome to TCS! Having been born and raised "with cat", and my family always having gone by the motto "Rescued is our favorite 'breed', most of the cats in my life have found me, whether from "the streets", from rescues, from a friend who willed her two cats to me, and so on. One I did choose was from a local shelter where I asked about cats less likely to be quickly adopted. "The bigger ones" was what the shelter staffer said, so I looked at the adults, of whom there were several. Corrie angel was a magnificent beauty and seemed very sweet, so I adopted her. She was not with us for long, as unknown to me, she was already very ill. But in the couple of months she was with us, we bonded very deeply. I will always be glad of the time we had together, and I will always love her.
IMG_1707.JPG

*Our beloved Corrie Angel.*
Wishing you all the best in finding the perfect feline friend!:goodluck:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first two cats where from a farm giving away free kittens when I was little. I don't really remember too much about getting them.

The first time I actually picked a cat was when I rented a room in a house when I was in college. It was the first time I was without a pet since I was 2 and that was not a good feeling. I went down to the animal refuge league with the idea of getting a young cat, 6 months to about 1.5 years old, old enough to be ok being left alone most of the day when I was at school and work, but still young enough to be playful. I ended up coming home with an almost 8 year old cat. When I was looking I first saw a tiny about 12 week old furball of energy literally bouncing off the walls of the kennel he was in. He was adorable, but I knew that would have been a mistake, so I headed to the multi-cat room to see what I could find there. I found a large Maine Coon looking cat named Rumpus who really caught my eye. Without bothering to check the info sheet on him I picked him up and he just kind of melted in my arms like "oh thank god you are here, lets go home". I was still debating on him when I was informed by an older lady that they were interested in looking at him too (they even whined to the staff that I wouldn't let others see him), and rudely told that he doesn't even like being held, according to his info sheet. I just kind of looked at Rumpus then back at her and shrugged. After I put him down I told her I was taking him and she left in a huff. Then I decided to look at his info and read he was 7 (I found out later at the vet according to his med records he was about a month shy of 8). The funny thing is, the little spitfire of a kitten I was looking at was the adoption minutes before I adopted Rumpus and they were actually both originally surrendered from the same home (they didn't get along, one cat was pee outside the box so they got rid of both). He yowled the whole ride home, but when I let him out it was like he had always lived there. He jumped up on the bed and just looked at me like "good to be home", from the first night he slept on the bed curled up with me. He really was a great cat, he passed away several years ago now at 14 from kidney failure.

My current cats, lol, don't worry not as much of a story. The only ones I truly picked are the first two I got when I moved up here. Mystic I got at the SPCA, she was about 5 months old, a stray picked up in the city, and had already been there almost two weeks. That SPCA was a kill shelter and only kept cats 14 days. She kept sticking her paws out of the cage when I got near her, and batted around a ball for extra cute points. She was a handful so we decided we'd get another kitten to help with her extra energy. After we got her spayed I found someone giving away Maine Coon kittens, so that is how I got Coon. There was a bunch of kittens running around, and he just seemed to like me the best, he kept coming back to me. The one my husband wanted liked him but couldn't care less about me and I had the final decision.

As for the rest of the bunch, I now have 10 total, when we moved here a couple black cats showed up. One had kittens under my house and was sadly hit and killed by a neighbor in a truck when they were a few weeks old, so we had to rescue the kittens from under the house. That is how we ended up with Lucky, Mittens, and Gremlin. I still have Lucky and Mittens, but Gremlin unfortunately died when getting spayed. She had 4 kittens with my Maine Coon though, Tiger, Shadow, Rascal, and CJ, an accidental litter. I was working though getting the cats fixed and Coon unlocked and opened the door to get to her. My last two are a feral and stray that I caught and too in after being dumped on my property.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt posted on facebook that her cat had kittens and asked if anyone wanted one. She lived in Illinois 4 hours away so I jokingly said, "Sure, I'll take 2 if you bring them to me!" She said she would lol. Of course I wanted a couple of kittens! I originally told her the one orange kitten (cuz my then-boyfriend said he wasn't a cat person but preferred orange cats to others) and a black female. My husband suggested Murphy for the orange male and because my favorite movie is the Boondock Saints, I figured I had to have a Connor so I told my aunt I'd take a black male instead. As it turned out, the orange kitten and one of the black ones had been super bonded since birth so she brought them to me. So that's how I got Connor and Murphy. Then my husband found Mickey begging for food in front of a grocery store next to a very busy road and brought him home. I turned him into a cat person, then married him. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My family always had cats, but for various reasons I was cat-free for a long time.

Finally I knew I needed a feline in my life, so I decided to go to the SPCA just to check it out. For some reason, I knew I wanted an orange young adult cat. :winkcat:

At the SPCA they had 2 orange cats. One was a fluffy male cat, who literally snuggled in my arms. The other was a short-haired female cat who I avoided because it was either sneezing or trying to hack up a hairball, and didn't look very happy. I would have taken the fluffy male, but I really was not ready to adopt that day.

The next time I went to the SPCA there was only 1 orange cat. A short-haired, 3 year old female. I opened her cage door and she came over to me purring and head bumping me. I tried to pick her up, but she wiggled out of my arms and back into her cage. Even though she wasn't snuggly, she was cute (and orange) and her purring and head bumping won me over. I filled out the adoption papers and picked her up a couple days later.

When we got home, I put her carrier on the floor and opened the door. I then turned to close my front door, and when I turned around again, Ruby was already out of her carrier, wandering through the house like she'd always lived here.

Like many cats from shelters, she came home with an URI and and drops to put in her eyes. That night, as I struggled to put drops in her eyes, it occurred to me that she was the orange cat who was coughing that first time I was at the shelter. It's like she knew she had to keep all other potential adopters away until I was ready to come and get her. :petcat:

It will be 5 years in November since I adopted Ruby. And while she still hates being picked up, she's my super friendly love bug, who loves napping in my lap. She also still does the head bumping thing. :catrub:

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.

First off, I'm not a cat person or was not one growing up. On the farm I grew up on, cats worked just like any other animal there. They lived in the barn where they roamed the farm, hunting mice, snakes, birds, and any other pest. Don't get me wrong, I loved taking care of all the various animals there but for pets, it was dogs till I married a southern belle and she introduced me to her cat that lived with her parents.

When we moved back to her hometown, we decided that we wanted pets (dog for me and cat for her) but her original cat did not take well to be moved to our home so she had to stay with my wife's parents. The first one we got was a labrador/newfoundland mix that we named "Neo" from friends of friends and the second baby we got was from the local SPCA.

We went into their cat room and while my wife was looking at some of the older cats, I felt little pinpricks going up my leg. I looked down and saw this little calico kitten climbing my leg. She got to my knee and in a faint, almost out of breath way, voice she said "Me". We never got a chance to choose as she choose us from the start.

The SPCA lady told us the horror this kitty lived through (last survivor of her litter from a dog fighting ring) and probably live only another few months due to all the internal damage done to her but the fact that the kitty, with mending ribs, choose to come out of her bed (which no one had seen her do during her whole time there) and climb my leg to just tell me to choose her, said she already chose us or as my wife always said "She chose you".

We had Kallie for a long, wonderful 18yrs till she passed away in my 17yr old son's arms.

A short time later my son found a feral kitty (less than 6 weeks old) in our shed and befriended the kitty. I have posts about Shade and Noka, his adopted sister we were given, scattered about this site.

So now we have a full family of 3 humans, 2 doggos, and 2 kitties.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've always had cats but I'll talk about the current three.
Betty the moggie was a stray kitten that was being fed (anything) outside by a friend but she wouldn't commit to taking her in and owning her properly so we stepped in and gave her the security of a home. She was very aggressive when we first took her on but now she's a gentle loving creature. She's our only outdoor cat because we simply can't keep her in because of her early days. I'm convinced that if we forced her to stay in, the stress would kill her. I think her early experience of being outside is hard-wired in her noggin now and she won't accept being kept in.

I had wanted a Maine Coon for over twenty years but for various reasons never did. I was always perusing breeders sites, this site and youTube vids etc. looking at MCO's. Then one day as I was looking at a site called Preloved, I saw a magnificent and beautiful ten year old boy called Oliver who's owner was re-homing. It was love at first sight and because I had to travel a hundred miles to get him, I was panicking that someone else would get there first. When I finally got there I was bowled over by him and felt like a teenager in love. I've loved all my cats greatly but Oliver took it to the next level and he's my irreplaceable soul cat. I couldn't love him more if I tried.
He's the sweetest and gentlest cat to us but takes no nonsense from any other animal (we have a huge dog as well) and is the boss of them all (and us of course).

A few months later my wife fell in love with Chubchub on the same site and I drove another hundred miles for him. He's a different character and quite sparky and skittish although he's just over one year old and is slowly getting calmer. He's bonded with my grand daughter and she can take liberties with him more than we can eg. stroking his tummy without being bitten.

IMG_0265.JPG 30884687-381-640x853.jpg IMG_2551 (2).JPG

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I may have made some reference to this in another thread but it bears repeating. Cali was adopted at 13 weeks old in late August.
My sister was the one who actually picked out my cat Cali. She was adopted from a couple who supposedly rescues kittens from kill shelters, gets them their vaccinations, tests, etc, and puts them up for adoption. Because the place was quiet a distance from my house and a lot closer to where my sister lived, she agreed to go over there and pick one out.
Of all the cats there, Cali was the shyest. The other cats were at the front of their cages curious and trying to interact with my sister; not Cali though. Poor Cali was cowering in the back of her cage that she shared with two other kittens.
Cali caught my sister's attention, after she checked out two or three other kittens and she asked the woman if she could see Cali. Cali was reluctant to come out. Not that she was violent in any way, just nervous.
My sister ended up picking out Cali. The woman said her husband joked that that cat was never going to get adopted.
When Cali was taken to my house, she was placed in a spare bedroom that we had setup as an acclimation room. As soon as her carrier was opened she made a mad dash and hid behind a pile of boxes that was in the corner of the room. She would spend the next several days hiding under the bed or dresser. It wasn't until nearly two weeks later that she completely came out of hiding.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had several cats over the course of my life so far.

When I was a kid and my parents finally agreed to get us a cat, we all went over to the shelter together. None of us could really agree, I wanted a black on who's tag read "playful" as I wanted a kitty who would chase a string or a red dot. My sister however convinced everyone the calico in the next cage over was the kitty for us. She was clawing at the cage, greeting us in ernest. I didn't budge until my dad threatened to take us home with no kitty if we couldn't agree. Sulkily, I gave in and we were able to bring home May that day.
May was a great cat, I came to be really glad I didn't get my way because I love May.

I wouldn't get my next cat until I was an adult, I picked out this very affectionate kitten at a shelter and started filling out the paperwork. I would have to wait a week, but it would be worth it. Just then, an older lady comes in, sees the kitten and takes her home despite my pleas and explanations that I was filling out the paperwork just then. (I didn't fight with her, but she was quite rude, even mocking me when all I wanted was to adopt a cat.) Apparently the shelter allowed that from the people who adopt multiple cats from them, they're already approved and don't have to wait or anything. I was heartbroken, but left the papers with them so maybe I could come back after I was approved. (I left in tears and embarrassed, but still tried to be hopeful. After leaving though I started ugly crying remembering the old lady mention how all of her cats were de-clawed. My thoughts went from trying to accept that she'd provide a good home to "That poor kitten!") I never got a call back from the shelter.
My grandmother then drove with me, asking some of her friends if they knew anyone who's cats had kittens recently. She went and found two people with kittens, a known cat hoarder and his sickly brood he could hardly bare to part with, and a couple who took in a pregnant cat. I ended up with one from each, I couldn't leave the sickly kitten behind, and I couldn't say no when I was offered one of the healthy babies either. Both grew into very sweet cats.

After one of my cats passed, my sister brought me to another shelter, she thought a new cat would help cheer me up. I knew it wouldn't, but I love cats so I didn't disagree. I picked out a fluffy black kitten, she was gentle and loving, very quiet and mellow. She's an adorable fluff-ball I've come to love and the first cat I've actually chosen for my own.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had several cats over the course of my life so far.

When I was a kid and my parents finally agreed to get us a cat, we all went over to the shelter together. None of us could really agree, I wanted a black on who's tag read "playful" as I wanted a kitty who would chase a string or a red dot. My sister however convinced everyone the calico in the next cage over was the kitty for us. She was clawing at the cage, greeting us in ernest. I didn't budge until my dad threatened to take us home with no kitty if we couldn't agree. Sulkily, I gave in and we were able to bring home May that day.
May was a great cat, I came to be really glad I didn't get my way because I love May.

I wouldn't get my next cat until I was an adult, I picked out this very affectionate kitten at a shelter and started filling out the paperwork. I would have to wait a week, but it would be worth it. Just then, an older lady comes in, sees the kitten and takes her home despite my pleas and explanations that I was filling out the paperwork just then. (I didn't fight with her, but she was quite rude, even mocking me when all I wanted was to adopt a cat.) Apparently the shelter allowed that from the people who adopt multiple cats from them, they're already approved and don't have to wait or anything. I was heartbroken, but left the papers with them so maybe I could come back after I was approved. (I left in tears and embarrassed, but still tried to be hopeful. After leaving though I started ugly crying remembering the old lady mention how all of her cats were de-clawed. My thoughts went from trying to accept that she'd provide a good home to "That poor kitten!") I never got a call back from the shelter.
My grandmother then drove with me, asking some of her friends if they knew anyone who's cats had kittens recently. She went and found two people with kittens, a known cat hoarder and his sickly brood he could hardly bare to part with, and a couple who took in a pregnant cat. I ended up with one from each, I couldn't leave the sickly kitten behind, and I couldn't say no when I was offered one of the healthy babies either. Both grew into very sweet cats.

After one of my cats passed, my sister brought me to another shelter, she thought a new cat would help cheer me up. I knew it wouldn't, but I love cats so I didn't disagree. I picked out a fluffy black kitten, she was gentle and loving, very quiet and mellow. She's an adorable fluff-ball I've come to love and the first cat I've actually chosen for my own.
Wow, you've had some bad and sad experiences there, along with some very happy and good ones. May your cat(s?) and you enjoy a wonderful life together filled with love!

CalliopeUno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first cat I had in my "own" family (my mom disliked all animals so no childhood pets, tho I had 6 sisters and 3 brothers lol) was Brindle. When i got married my husband had a dog and said absolutely no cats! One day when my baby was about 18 months we went out to get in the car and my baby started happily waving her little hands and saying, "My kitty! My kitty!" And sure enough, in her carseat sat a beautiful brindled tortoise shell Persian mix. The window had been left down about 3 inches. I'm not sure how she'd managed to get thru but it had been chilly the night before and I guess she was cold. And wanted to be Rowyn's kitty. She had no collar but was well fed and groomed and weighed 14 lbs when I took her to the vet. I put a notice in the paper, put up flyers at the market and churches, alerted all the vets... But Brindle was ours. No one ever claimed her and from the first moment she acted as if she'd always lived there. Unfortunately she was also just a few weeks from giving birth but her babies were beautiful and easy to find loving homes for (we kept one). This was 35 years ago. I still remember the delight on my daughter's face when she saw "her" kitty!

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to a local no kill shelter and told them what kind of cat I was looking for. The lady showed me a few cats I had seen online, but I didn’t click with them. She then took me to a room where the cats had to be in cages because of special dietary needs. She wanted to show me this cat who was a little shy but sweet if given some time. She asked me to sit on the floor while she took him out. I did. He came to me straight away, rubbed against my leg a couple of times and jumped on my lap, settled there and started to purr straight away. The lady was really shocked as he had never done that before and had always shown as a shy scaredy kitty. I fell in love there and then and took him home. He was the BEST cat ever. Unfortunately, he was also sick with chronic issues that the shelter only partially shared with me (whether they knew the extent of it then or not, I will never know).
What I would recommend for you to do is to ask to see the cat’s medical records and go trough them very thoroughly. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Now don’t get me wrong. Huxley was an amazing cat. I never regretted adopting him, and I miss him everyday, but I am getting ready to adopt again, and I do not want to go through this again. So unless you are prepared to deal with all of the medical costs (or want to adopt a cat with special needs) make sure to ask the shelter to only show healthy cats.
Bless you. Good luck finding your new friend!

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband has always had pet allergies. When he was a child, new puppy sent him to the ER with a terrible asthma attack. He had immune therapy, but continued to react to dogs and cats.

When I married him, he told me pets would never be in our future, unless they came up with a new medicine. I am an animal lover, but he's also a great husband and I picked him and resigned myself to a life without furbabies.

Started researching a year ago to find some way to have a cat, but only if it would not impact my husband. I started reading that some breeds did well with persons with allergies. I love Siamese cats, and read about Balinese and their (reported) lower Fe1 rates and began to hope that maybe we could find a cat that would not trigger husband's allergies. Hubby is a medevac helicopter pilot and he can not have some allergy drugs, nor can he have uncontrolled asthma and keep his pilot's license. Allergies could end his career.

We found Jazzy on Petfinder two months ago. A Balinese looking for a home...I dared to hope that MAYBE hubby would be okay with him. His owners brought him over to us (they were local) and hubby had no reaction. Now, I could love ANY cat...any cat! Jazzy was a 1 out of 1 choice, and so that sounded GREAT!

And - hubby has no reaction to Jazzy - NOTHING! By day 5 Jazzy was allowed to sleep in our bed and Hubby has the first chance in his life to have kitty cuddles. We are both so very happy and Jazzy is a very cherished and special kitty. On top of being non allergenic for hubby, he is a wonderful cat!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has always had pet allergies. When he was a child, new puppy sent him to the ER with a terrible asthma attack. He had immune therapy, but continued to react to dogs and cats.

When I married him, he told me pets would never be in our future, unless they came up with a new medicine. I am an animal lover, but he's also a great husband and I picked him and resigned myself to a life without furbabies.

Started researching a year ago to find some way to have a cat, but only if it would not impact my husband. I started reading that some breeds did well with persons with allergies. I love Siamese cats, and read about Balinese and their (reported) lower Fe1 rates and began to hope that maybe we could find a cat that would not trigger husband's allergies. Hubby is a medevac helicopter pilot and he can not have some allergy drugs, nor can he have uncontrolled asthma and keep his pilot's license. Allergies could end his career.

We found Jazzy on Petfinder two months ago. A Balinese looking for a home...I dared to hope that MAYBE hubby would be okay with him. His owners brought him over to us (they were local) and hubby had no reaction. Now, I could love ANY cat...any cat! Jazzy was a 1 out of 1 choice, and so that sounded GREAT!

And - hubby has no reaction to Jazzy - NOTHING! By day 5 Jazzy was allowed to sleep in our bed and Hubby has the first chance in his life to have kitty cuddles. We are both so very happy and Jazzy is a very cherished and special kitty. On top of being non allergenic for hubby, he is a wonderful cat!
What WONDERFUL news, JazzysMom JazzysMom ! I can imagine how happy you must be knowing that you can now be a complete and loving family AND that you have rescued a sweet cat! It that's him in your icon, he is extremely handsome. *We love pictures here. Hint, hint!*

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purr-fect Purr-fect Such a heartwarming story but what concerns me is the mention of adding lillies to the cat garden, they are deadly to cats, please be very careful with the plants you put in there for them.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That Oliver is a handsome fella.
Purr-fect Purr-fect Such a heartwarming story but what concerns me is the mention of adding lillies to the cat garden, they are deadly to cats, please be very careful with the plants you put in there for them.
Thanks for the headup up I will investigate carefully and remove them if necessary.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right about the lilies. We have iris lilies in one garden that the cats dont have access to. But the large cat enclosure im working on has at least 20 sq feet (pre existing) of what I think are day lilies. Day lilies are toxic to cats. Our cats have no interest in these plants but do actively munch on some of our tall ornamental grasses.

The suspected day lilies will be removed asap once identity is confirmed.

Thanks.

Could never have forgiven myself.

We are careful about plants in the house...but thats not enough.

PASHAMARTLI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One Saturday morning I went on to Gumtree and found someone selling off the kittens they didnt want (they had a female cat had an affair with a stray) the kittens all looked so cute yet too tiny to be given away but these people were adamant they were 8 weeks and needed to go! So I asked which one was the craziest one and they pointed to this cute little guy who ironically was trying to jump up onto my lap. So took him, they "didnt have change" so I ended up "tipping" them :D and went straight to the vet where I found out he was 4 weeks old- Go figure!! I then went to the shops and bought kitten essentials- Carry cage, basket, toys, food, kitty milk THE LOT and yeh I took some mothering and he grew up in no time :) Love him to bits

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love these stories! I think mine is a little more practical, but has just as happy an ending!

I had always wanted a pet, mostly a dog. I had siblings with allergies growing up, so as a kid I kept all manner of fish...it wasn’t really a good substitute. I always thought that once I was settled in one city with a more permanent home and job, I’d get a dog.

Then I did some dog sitting for a particularly attached French bulldog . It was fun, but I realized that there were a lot of aspects of a dog in a city apartment that I didn’t like. So I thought about a cat. Then I convinced my partner, and 6 months later, we started looking.

We picked Busy for mostly practical reasons; she wanted to be an only cat, she was friendly and outgoing, she loved to play, and had good litter and scratching habits. Basically, we looked for a cat that would be happy in our home. And the first time we met her, we were adopting her. I don’t know if we had a special connection when we met; she was cute, friendly and unfazed by a random toddler trying to touch her. When she got sick and ended up in the hospital a week later, I realized I loved her by how wrong it felt not to have her at home. And I think she realized she loved us when we picked her up from the hospital.

So I don’t think we “picked” each other in the way a lot of you are talking about. But I do think we’re the right family for her, and she’s the right buddycat for us!

Bluuuii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of people on here have adopted their kitties - and had i known about the local cat rescue organization in my town i would have as well. I didnt however. I got my little Jussi a year back when i was going through a pretty nightmarish phase of what my psychologist thinks is bipolar. I had been looking through photos of cats and obsessing over it for about a week when I saw pictures on facebook of these furry little black kittens. One of them had a distinct little white soulpatch and white chest. I fell in love with the picture. 2 weeks later i had bought everything i needed and off i went to pick him up. He was actually the first and only kitten to come and greet me at the door - although he was still a little scared. He even went straight into the carrier by himself. I want to think it was meant to be, because ever since then he has been my little therapy cat who follows me into every room, shares my meals, sleeps by my feet in the bed and wakes me up every morning licking my nose until it hurts. He has comforted me greatly through hard times and i couldnt wish for a better companion.