How contagious is giardia?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, my sisters puppy has giardia. He doesn't have obvious symptoms but as he was sick with it a few weeks ago, she had him tested and I guess it's still in his poop or something.

I will be visiting her for a few days and am a little worried that I might bring it home to my cat. I suppose even catch it myself.

What precautions do I need to take? Thank you.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Practicing good hygiene is the key here. That mostly means washing your hands after petting the puppy. If you happen to get poop on your clothes/shoes, wash them in hot water before wearing around them at home. I've had many kitties come through our rescue with giardia (and other, more contagious parasites/protozoans) and have yet to bring anything home to my personal kitties (even when I've had kittens in isoltatuon at my own home.)

As a general rule, I do not wear shoes into my house. If I have been around sick animals I change clothes as soon as I get home and wash my hands really well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, CatPack. Shoes never even entered my mind! Is there any way to disinfect the soles? Can the cysts carry on clothes?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
The cysts can carry on clothes, though I am not sure the likelihood. I am one to just take extra precautions. If you want to go that route, you can either put on clean clothes before leaving your sister's house and not handle the puppy after doing so, or simply change clothes when you get home.

If I want to disinfect my shoes without washing them I typically just spray them down with regular Lysol.

But, honestly, with good basic hygiene the risk is small with taking Giardia home. I certainly wouldn't cancel a visit with a friend or family member over it. And, since the puppy isn't having active diarrhea, it'd be even less concerned about it.