How common is lungworm?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

Just wanted some advice. I was previously using Advocate monthly on my cats and Drontal Allwormer for tapeworms and I recently switched over to Revolution Plus and just noticed that Revolution Plus does not cover lungworms.

How prevalent/common is lungworm? Should I switch over back to Advocate so they've got the extra cover for lungworms?

Thanks in advance 😊

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Lungworm risk depends on location and how commonly your cats have unsupervised access to the outdoors. I don't really know much about the situation in Melbourne, so it might be worth calling up your vet to ask. Is there any reason you decided to switch? IME Advocate/Drontal are more recommended by vets. Are the ticks and fleas in your area resistant to them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spoke to my vet who recommended me to go back to Advocate. No reason for change, just saw it on sale and decided for Revolution Plus but I will definitely revert back! I'm going to post another thread about my cats coughing 😓

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only tell you that I have a friend in Florida who dealt with lungworms. It was pretty rough on the kitty but she did get through it. I can get more details for you if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can only tell you that I have a friend in Florida who dealt with lungworms. It was pretty rough on the kitty but she did get through it. I can get more details for you if needed.
Ohhh that would be fantastic! Thank you. I have just treated her with Advocate today.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lungworms are carried by mosquito bites. It depends on your area and how many cases have been reported in the area.
There are meds specifically for lungworms, and are retroactive, that means they not only prevent, but also treats pre-existing conditions, up to 30 days back.
The active ingredient is the Invermectine, so the brand name may change depending on the countries.

If you're worried of lungworms in your area, and think your Jiggy has lungworms as per the video you posted, you might ask your vet if this treatment is good gor her.