How Common Is Happy Drooling?

alisad1981

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(I do it sometimes, but I'm wondering about cats specifically. ) My first three cats never drooled, but my current two cats do. Their mouths are like faucets when their motors get going. So I'm wondering if this is common in cats, or did I just hit the jackpot, twice?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure how common it is. But out of my 3 cats I have 1 that drools and purrs whenever we get into an intense cuddle session.

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be interesting to see how many people have drooling cats! Multo is a heavy drooler, but none of my other two cats or my family's three cats ever did this.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one of my cats was a drooling but as soon as you petted her her mouth turned faucet and there would be spit everywhere. I actually used to use a hand towel to dry us both off when we were done.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both of mine are intense droolers when they are "kneading". What I can't figure out is how they manage to get it all over themselves. When they finally stop kneading and settle down in my lap, they are usually covered with their drool (as am I). I'll be petting them and find it on their hips, back, etc.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats of three that drool during petting sessions. They like to lie on my chest. When I pet them they start drooling. Drooley cats I call them. I keep a box of tissues on the bed for these occasions. :p

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie was a ‘drooler’ When he was purring and very ‘happy ‘.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of my 10, I have one that drools all the time when you pet or brush her, like she sprung a leak, lol. She will have steady drips coming out of her mouth:drool:, then sometimes shake her head sending drool flying everywhere. Then another two that drool sometimes when they are super relaxed and into the petting, but it's more like just a drop forms on their lips.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Emerson does this when he is super happy and content! I call it "dripping." Basically condensation from his lips.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Barley drools a lot especially when he is in a happy mood. On the other hand, Bourbon does not.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've probably had eleven or twelve cats so far. I can think of two that did happy drooling when purring and being petted. One of them had dental issues nut he continued the happy drooling after all his dental issues were resolved.
A third cat drooled but it turned out he had dental problems and oral cancer.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo gets a little drool-y only when I'm handing out treats or when he's chowing down on his catnip plant. So I basically just compare it to our mouths watering when we're about to eat something good. :lol:

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
George starts pouring drool/purring the minute you start petting him. Kind of itchy if you're allergic to cat saliva. :p

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My three cats do not drool, but Duncan's lips get wet when he really gets into being petted.

When I lived with my folks, there were two outdoor cats that belong to someone else who would come running when I called them. They would sit on my lap and knead my chest while I petted them. One of them drooled like a leaky faucet.

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our cats drools when I get my morning cuddles from her the other one just purrs when petted :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat should not normally drool. It usually means something is amiss with their mouth, teeth, gums; or nausea; or even a GI problem or infection. Upper respiratory diseases/ infections could also cause drooling. A vet would know more of other possible reasons, too. Just because a cat has been drooling all its life may not necessarily mean it is a good or "happy" thing.