How Can You Tell If Your Cat Has Oral Issues ??

Samanthaleddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I am new to this site and am really seeking some help/ advice for my fur baby. My cat is constantly rubbing her mouth (teeth and gums) on rope and string that hang. She holds her paw on the bottom of it to keep it in place and then proceed to rubs her gums up and down. She also has bad breath could this be indicating she is having mouth issues ? I cannot look into her mouth at all she doesn't fight back but he isn't easy to get a hold of when it comes to that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it sounds like she does. One of my childhood cats had severe dental disease and her breath was horrible.

It sounds like she is in pain. She needs to see the vet for an exam and treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samanthaleddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses! I have an appointment with the vet this week just needed some more confirmation that something might be wrong. She's a dainty little girl so she always ate delicateley and slow but now I am thinking this is another sign of discomfort.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses! I have an appointment with the vet this week just needed some more confirmation that something might be wrong. She's a dainty little girl so she always ate delicateley and slow but now I am thinking this is another sign of discomfort.
It could be. Cats are masters at hiding pain & discomfort. Can you see her gum line? If it's red, it's probably an issue.

Samanthaleddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can, and I notice her gums have some areas that are red and bright and then there are other spots that are a normal pink and don't appear to be irritated. I feel so terrible if she's in pain! And I absolutely will that you for your help :blush:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubbing gums, bad breath, gaging when eating, smacking gums, opening and closing mouth like food is stuck in the back and slight hesitation when you put the food down are some indications that a cat has dental problems. In bad cases weight loss is another.

marypetlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat did the same thing and we found out she had a few abscessed teeth and once we got them removed she was a lot better. Her breath wasn't so stinky and she was more comfortable eating dry food.

Samanthaleddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat did the same thing and we found out she had a few abscessed teeth and once we got them removed she was a lot better. Her breath wasn't so stinky and she was more comfortable eating dry food.
Oh my ! That is so scary I am hoping that she doesn't have that issue. But if she does I am willing to get done whatever need to be done to make her comfortable. Thank you for your reply !

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is an active thread on the Cat Health Forum where members are offering suggestions for an older cat with dental issues. You might pick up some information that would be useful in this thread
Dental Sprays For My Cats

marypetlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my ! That is so scary I am hoping that she doesn't have that issue. But if she does I am willing to get done whatever need to be done to make her comfortable. Thank you for your reply ![/QUOTE/]
I hope so too! I'm not sure how much it costs to get them removed as she was under for a different surgery and they noticed the teeth and took them out. She was getting her jaw wired and she was on a feeding tube for a few weeks after so I am also not sure how it would be after just getting the teeth removed.