How can you tell if there's blood/crystals in the cat urine if kitty is using the litter box & using traditional clumping litter?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My 2 year old boy has had consistent urination but it's a little darker than I'd like it to be, I guess? Does anyone have any tips on how to spot crystals/blood in traditional clumping litter? He is using the box just fine and I AM going to collect a sample to the vet (using NOSORB) for a urinalysis as soon as I can actually get my car out of the drive way (huge snow storm). But any advice in the meantime? Attached a photo of his most recent urination in the box. I know the lighting is s&&t but I do the best I can with the not-so-great phone I have.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Does anyone have any tips on how to spot crystals/blood in traditional clumping litter?
If there's blood, it is in a very slight pink hue. If the litter is darker than white, it's a little harder to spot it.

One way to get samples of your cat's pee is use a disposable Chinese soup spoon and wait for him to pee. Standby a container with a screw on lid with the opening big enough for the spoon to pour in he pee.
Once he starts to pee, position the spoon under his private part but not touching it and collect the pee. You may have to do it for a few times as it is not so easy as you'll tend to miss the spot but you may be fortunate on the the first try. Usually, you may be able to do it on the first try as you can slowly remove the spoon to check if you managed to get any pee on the spoon and if not, quickly put it under again and adjusting the position.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had cats who peed blood and needed either medications, or in one case, surgery. Every time that it has happened with clumping litter there have been bright red little blotches in the litter. The cat in question also used the box a little bit more often.

You might have to watch for your cat going to the box and follow him over to see what comes out immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have been watching him like a hawk, I also picked up a non-clumping/urine collection kit and set up a separate litter pan, so far no dice. I also set up a pan with pretty litter (first time using it). It's blue and according to the color-coding chart that means alkalinity aka potential crystals. As soon as these snow storms pass I'm going to get him to the vet ASAP, right now I'm looking into a house call, it's just the roads have been so bad - I would hate to stress out my kitty with a vet visit and risk him on the roads. In the meantime, we are giving him a lot more wet food and water everywhere plus his fancy fountain.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, do let him have more fluid and once you have the chance to bring him in to the vet, do it and do keep us posted of the findings. We hope nothing is too serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got blood work back today! He is ok thank you all so much!