How Can We Soothe Our New Kitty?

John Malcolm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last week we adopted a 2 year old lynx-point (tabby-point) Siamese neutered Tom that had apparently done OK in a house with kids but then spent several rough weeks in two different shelters. We're used to new cats being a bit shy, but this one has been exceptionally reclusive. He's using the litter-boxes appropriately and has occasionally come into the living room to nibble his food when we're sitting and reading quietly. If anybody stirs, he's gone! We rarely see him between meals, and then only dashing to another room. We've discovered several of his hiding places but our home has many such and he doesn't seem to use any predictably. Doesn't vocalize much. Was obviously overwrought when we saw him in the shelter.

So, any tricks we can learn to help him settle in?

James&Taki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you heard of Feliway? I haven't had to try it, but I've heard good things about it. It diffuses something similar to cat pheremones, which makes cats feel more comfortable since they like to have a place that smells like them (though I don't think humans can smell it at all). Might be worth trying - maybe put it in the room he's in the most, or if he has a space/room to himself with all his necessities (bed, water, food, litter box, scratching post, maybe toys) that would be an ideal spot for a Feliway dispenser.

Other than that, I don't really have any advice... it might take a while for him to warm up 😕

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like this poor guy has been through a lot in his short life.
He does sound like he is doing okay and the fact he comes out at all while you are present is great so I wouldn’t be concerned about his skittishness. Given his history he may have experienced being picked up, stuck in a carrier and dropped off at a shelter a couple of times so no wonder he doesn’t quite trust humans.

Ideally and especially if you have other pets or younger children he would be confined to a single room to settle in. But since he has had the run of the house and isn’t hiding continuously I would keep doing what you have been doing and let him set the pace of when he wants more attention. You can keeps some treats near you like Inaba Churos or Temptations to offer him and have a few toys like a Wand toy or some cat springs that might encourage him to play. Or pour out some catnip which most cats enjoy and which does relax them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

John Malcolm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, last evening he essayed a brief stay on my wife's lap. This AM, it's like somebody flipped a switch! He's all over both of us with demands for petting (even likes having belly rub) and batting toys around. Biggest worry is tripping over him, as he wants to go everywhere I go and see what amusing thing I'll do next. Based on his behavior, we think he's actually not far from kitten-hood.

2020 03 06 Linc.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s awesome that he has come around and is such a playful friendly cat. He just needed time to check you guys out and it sure seems you passed the test.