How can leave food for kitties in an area full of insects

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
There are some cats in our area that will make me extremely happy if i get to feed them on a regular basis. I feel it's specially urgent these days to do this as there is currently a night curfew in our country and Cats' food sources surely reduced a lot. I live near the desert and the area is full of big ants and some other weird insects / worms
They are few cats in my area, I've tried to reach out some but they seem to be ferals. I rarely see them but I hear some of them all day. I want to leave them some dry food in front of our home as I don't see them much but the last time i did, in about 15-30 minutes, the bowl was full of worms and that even was in winter. Last summer I left some Tuna and after 5-10 minutes the plate was ALL BLACK, it was FULLY covered with ants.

How can I prevent their food from being severely contaminated like this? It's summer here

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If you can round up some shallow dishes a bit bigger than the bowls you are using for the food, place water in them and then set the food bowl inside the dish with water. Even some shallow cooking pans, if nothing else, would work. The water decreases the ants chance to make a trail to the food, and they don't cross over into the water to get to the food. If it works for ants, I would hope it would work with worms as well.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you’re from, but if it’s available to you, try Bug Snub!

It won’t work for everything, and not sure about worms, but it will work for ants.

We use these on the bottom of a small crate tray/pan - Amazon.com: BugSnub Ant Proof Legs for Trays: Pet Supplies

They also have an option that comes with a tray too - Amazon.com: BugSnub Ant Proof Tray (Black) - Waterless: Pet Supplies

This has worked better for us than any moats or special bowls. We were going crazy with ants.

The gel lasts about a year, but you don’t have to buy their replacement gel - Vaseline, aquaphor, etc works just the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you’re from, but if it’s available to you, try Bug Snub!

It won’t work for everything, and not sure about worms, but it will work for ants.

We use these on the bottom of a small crate tray/pan - Amazon.com: BugSnub Ant Proof Legs for Trays: Pet Supplies

They also have an option that comes with a tray too - Amazon.com: BugSnub Ant Proof Tray (Black) - Waterless: Pet Supplies

This has worked better for us than any moats or special bowls. We were going crazy with ants.

The gel lasts about a year, but you don’t have to buy their replacement gel - Vaseline, aquaphor, etc works just the same.
Thanks for Your help! I checked BugSnub and unfortunately Amazon says it can't be delivered in my location. I might try FeebysOwner FeebysOwner water method and hope it works.
I suppose if I fed them in three or four days in row at the same time they would automatically wait there everyday and ants wouldn't be a problem. Hope this gets easy