How can I tell what type of siamese this kitten is?

Daph88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey y'all, I'm new here. I just joined because for the life of me, I can't figure out what type of siamese Toby is. He is a stray that lives in my grandmother's front yard with his uncle, Marcel, a tuxedo. His mom is a tuxedo tabby. Does Toby also have the tabby stripes, or am I just seeing things?

P_20191014_131530_1_p.jpg

P_20191211_161757_1_p.jpg

P_20191210_085740_1_p.jpg
P_20200110_090946_p.jpg

P_20200109_101447_1_p.jpg
P_20191212_081929_1_p.jpg

Here's a video of him playing back then when he was 4-5 months old. Might be easier to spot his markings.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I think he looks like he has some Siamese ancestry! Since mom was a Domestic Shorthair, he would technically be as well. So dad must have been a Siamese mix of some kind. As for describing your handsome boy’s coloring, I would say that he is a seal point. I think his tabby stripes aren’t prominent enough for him to be considered a lynx point.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very cute! I would describe Toby as a seal point and white domestic shorthair. Pointed cats are born white, and gradually darken with age. He is likely to become significantly darker as he grows up.

The colorpoint gene (responsible for pointed coloring) is recessive, so both of Toby's parents must have carried this gene. The colorpoint gene originally came from the Siamese breed about 70 years ago, but at this time it is widespread through the domestic cat gene pool, and doesn't indicate recent Siamese breed ancestry.

It's normal for pointed cats to have some "ghost tabby markings," especially as kittens, but from Toby's dark nose you can tell that he is clearly a solid point, not a lynx point (tabby point). Here's a picture showing the difference:
seal point vs lynx point.jpg

• Purraise
Reactions: jen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daph88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I think he looks like he has some Siamese ancestry! Since mom was a Domestic Shorthair, he would technically be as well. So dad must have been a Siamese mix of some kind. As for describing your handsome boy’s coloring, I would say that he is a seal point. I think his tabby stripes aren’t prominent enough for him to be considered a lynx point.
He's very cute! I would describe Toby as a seal point and white domestic shorthair. Pointed cats are born white, and gradually darken with age. He is likely to become significantly darker as he grows up.
But what made you think he's a seal point? They all look extremely similar to me....
And when does the darkening stop? Cause I think with him, it had stopped. He must be around 8 months now. We live near the equator haha

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But what made you think he's a seal point? They all look extremely similar to me....
Most pointed cats with brown points like Toby are seal points. Seal point is the pointed version of black; basically, a seal point and white cat is a tuxedo cat with two copies of the colorpoint gene. Chocolate point is also theoretically possible, but it is much less likely than seal point, since the recessive chocolate gene is very rare in the domestic cat population. A chocolate point cat would also have a warmer and lighter color on the nose compared to Toby. He looks most like a seal point to me.
And when does the darkening stop? Cause I think with him, it had stopped.
Most pointed cats will continue to darken for several years. For a good example of this process, Kieka Kieka posted a series of photos of her seal point and white cat, Link, getting darker over the course of several years:
In a hot climate, you may see less darkening than this, but you can still expect to see darkening over time.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
He looks seal point to me as well. Willow has a brother with points and I think I see Siamese characteristics in her: they are very affectionate, vocal, and they enjoy learning things to please their people.

I harness trained her by putting on her harness. My sibling's siamese mix would fetch balls and he taught himself how to turn the lights on and off and how to use doorknobs.

Toby might be a real handful, but I'm sure he's worth every minute of it. :)