How can I tell shes pregnant?

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Aunt passed away and left me her unfixed indoor/outdoor cat Zombie. She's taken well to living inside all the time with us and we plan to get her fixed next month but... She's yet to come in heat and she's kind of showing some signs she might be with kittens.

She was throwing up almost every day for a week, now that's stopped and she's begun to put on a lot of weight. Her name Zombie isn't just her name but she always looked like one being super skinny. She's begun to guard her stomach and use to love it being touched. She's also stolen under my desk and has made a sort of nest of clothes and dragged a throw pillow under there. I can't feel any kittens but I can tell her nipples are standing out more then before but still a normal pink color.

So I'm wondering if she's pregnant and if I should wait to see before trying to get her fixed. I know my Aunt would hate me from the beyond if I took her and they fixed her while pregnant.

I'm hoping y'all can give me some tips to see without having to take her for an ultrasound because I just can't afford that right now.

Edit: she's also horribly gassy like my goodness who left all the rotten eggs under my desk!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, if she's not spayed, and has been going outside before she came to live with you, and hasn't had a heat cycle in 3 weeks, I'd say there's a pretty good chance she's pregnant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds pregnant. Prepare for kittens! You can take her to a vet in a couple more weeks for an X-ray or ultrasound to confirm. If she’s “showing,” she’s at least 5 weeks along, which is the halfway point. A good vet can tell an estimated gestational age of the kittens from an x-ray. Thanks for taking her in and keep us posted!

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I just wanted to let y'all know that yes Zombae is pregnant with 1 kitten. We've chosen to keep it and get her fixed as well as the kitten in the future. Thank you everyone for your comments!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck. Do let us know when the kitten is born. And thanks again for giving mama a home. :redheartpump:

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it's taken me awhile to post an update but Zombie had her kitten! A little boy and since then we've had off and on issues. She didn't like feeding the kitten but was good at cleaning and caring in other ways. So I began bottle feeding him. Zombie has been fixed and is now a fatter and happier cat. We plan on keeping the boy as we've fallen so hard for him.

Attachments

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update!

Aww! What a sweet little guy. What's his name?
We named him Conrad. He's so sweet, very different personality from his mom who is more "I'll love you when I want and no other time". He also has the biggest feet of any kitten I've seen but there's no extra toes.