How Can I Tell If My Cat Is Peeing On The Floor?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello lately I've had moments where I smelled something that smells kind of acidic. The smell only last for a few minutes before it dissapears. I'm concerned my cats are peeing on the floor. But I can't really tell. They're still using the litter box. Can someone recommend a light that will work to see if I can see if they're peeing on the floor?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just search "blacklight" on amazon. For example, this one looks fine:

However, if you look closely and there is no residue and it doesn't smell anymore when you get down and really sniff, it probably didnt happen. I mean, I guess it depends what kind of flooring you have, but usually it is not especially mysterious. On flooring anyway. Carpet can be trickier depending on the type and whether it stains.

Blacklights will highlight from cleaned up vomit, the bug you squashed and didn't notice, the food that got ground in and a dozen other things. Its a helpful tool if you know you have a problem, and a decent thing for a cat owner to have, but your eyes and your nose are your first line of attack.

Last edited:

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just gonna echo "blacklight"

When did you notice it? if you smell it for only a few minutes, it is possible that what you're smelling isn't pee. It has a very "low", dense, almost oppressively musky odor that really sticks around, especially if your cats have been doing it for a while. At least that's how I'd describe it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any black light in particular you recommend? I've tried some in the past, and find they don't work.

Just randomly once a week maybe for the last month.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve found that I smell pee sometimes if the litterbox is dirty or they just went recently and it hasn’t clumped and dried yet.

I’ve also had issues see the pee with a black light - our boy Trin was sometimes bad with the boxes and even in areas we know he peed it was hard to see. Some of the black lights come with tinted glasses, and having the room be pitch black both help.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just search "blacklight" on amazon. For example, this one looks fine:

However, if you look closely and there is no residue and it doesn't smell anymore when you get down and really sniff, it probably didnt happen. I mean, I guess it depends what kind of flooring you have, but usually it is not especially mysterious. On flooring anyway. Carpet can be trickier depending on the type and whether it stains.

Blacklights will highlight from cleaned up vomit, the bug you squashed and didn't notice, the food that got ground in and a dozen other things. Its a helpful tool if you know you have a problem, and a decent thing for a cat owner to have, but your eyes and your nose are your first line of attack.
I was just gonna suggest that. I got mine at Petco a year ago. It's also used to find glass specks
It came with a stain remover that worked!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say a black light but people already mentioned it! Be sure to use an enzyme cleaner on everything that glows! Good luck!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Any black light in particular you recommend? I've tried some in the past, and find they don't work.
You need to get those in 365 or 385 nm wavelengths. Do not get any that is in higher wavelengths as higher wavelengths light are too bright which is close to visible light.

In this case, lower is better than higher.