How can I teach my cat to use scratching post?

Oliver'sMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Oliver, has NEVER used a scratching post that I have purchased. He does have a scratching post however... its called the arm of my couch. When he first started scratching it, I tried double sided tape, but he would just work around that and I can't exactly wrap my entire couch in tape. Eventually, I gave up and just let him have at it. I can now see all the way through to the wood of the couch. I have presented him with many other scratching post options over the years, made up of all different types of materials. I have demonstrated how to use it, taking his paw and rubbing it against the scratcher... nope.. he just walks away. I have rubbed catnip onto them... no dice. I tried putting the post in front of the arm of the couch. Nothing has worked. I won't buy a new couch for him to destroy, so I got a couch cover, which of course, he attempted to scratch it in his usual spot so I put bubble wrap and tucked it between the couch and the cover. That worked! But, despite the multiple scratching posts still available to him, from his perspective, he no longer has one. I know it's important for him, both physically and emotionally, to have something to scratch but I've run out of ideas... any suggestions???

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demonstrating never works as far as I know and might even be harmful. After all, its likely annoying to have their paws manipulated like that, and you don't want to form the link of annoying+scratching post. Rubbing catnip is sometimes helpful, can put a treat on the post now and then, but I've mostly found that its about negative reinforcement on forbidden targets, praise when they get it right (but dont distract em), finding the right type of post that they like and sometimes an unfortunate amount of time.

They sell sisal mats that are perhaps couch like in terms of fabric. Some of em seem very highly rated, and it looks like maybe you can even hang some on a couch to provide a safe surface to scratch, although I've not used this sort of product myself and have some questions about how you anchor it (I've found cats don't like stuff that is not anchored and too loose):

Amazon.com : sisal fabric

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try moving his "approved" scratching posts to different places until you find an arrangement that he uses.

To a cat, location is more important than the object, itself.

Often times, humans will just plunk down a scratching post and say, "Here you go, cat!" The cat thinks, "That's nice..." but, until you put the post in a place where he likes it, a scratching post is just another "thing."

Remember, one main reason that cats scratch things is to mark territory. Think of it like the old cliché in the movies where a group of pioneers, traveling across the plains, comes upon a mysterious looking totem pole and their Native Guide says, "Must turn back! This is Cherokee Territory!" Well, that's what cats do when they scratch things. They are carving a cat version of a totem pole. ;)
(Yes, I know that Native American Indians actually don't use totem poles like that. It's just a Hollywood cliché!)

I suggest that you spend some time just watching your cat to see where his favorite spots are in the house then try moving your "totem poles" closer to those spots.

We noticed that Casper liked to run up the stairs and he pretended to climb up the wall when he hit the top of the landing.
We placed a scratching post, right there, at the top of the landing, kind of tucked back in the corner. The first time he ran upstairs and saw that scratching post, he tore into it like crazy. Now he uses that scratching post almost every day!

If you spend a little bit of time to "think like a cat" you should be able to solve problems like this in less time than you think. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some of the things in this TCS article you have already tried, but just in case it might inspire you to other ideas -
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture – TheCatSite Articles

I believe one of the tips in this article is to mimic the surface your cat seems to prefer, so consider buying fabric/material that replicates the couch, and covering existing cat scratcher items with that material - or even build your own. Since this has gone on for a while, you probably should focus on placing scratching items all along the area where he has gotten used to scratching, sort of to block it. That is his 'preferred area' now and once you can find an alternative, you might be able to slowly move it away from the couch area - and, offer similar items in other areas of the house.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have cat trees? You should have at least one. He must like the carpet scratching posts so try and get some of those and put one right next to the couch. You can get some of those really tall ones to. Cats scratch to stretch so the tall ones will help with that.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we saw Whiskey try to scratch the arm of our sofa, we said 'No' and then showed her (with my own hands, not manipulating her paws) the scratching post in the living room. We also literally added 3 more scratching posts in the living room area, placing two by the sofa arm. When she did scratch the post, we rewarded her with praise and a treat. Now she goes there and scratches and meows just to see if she will get a treat, lol. But it worked, no more sofa scratching. So I would try adding a couple of scratching posts of different types by the sofa arm your kitty is scratching, then add a couple of more (and at least one cat tree) around the room. Once kitty is scratching the appropriate things, you can try removing or gradually relocating the remaining posts to a more convenient location. And definitely wrap the sofa arm currently being scratched in bubble wrap, aluminum foil, or whatever kitty doesn't like for awhile until they adjust. Good luck and I hope something works for you!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Delilah, she wouldn't touch the posts on her cat tree (lots of scratching posts on it). I noticed when I adopted her from the shelter, they had the flat cardboard box style scratchers (like a box filled with stacked pieces of corrugated cardboard). She went right to those. I also picked her up a cardboard wave shaped scratcher and she ignored it.

Eventually she discovered the posts on her cat tree and uses those most of the time but occasionally she still uses the cardboard.