How can I play video games in peace and protect my headset cord?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I’m a PC gamer, and Terra the Cat has always enjoyed watching me play. However, I recently purchased a new gaming headset, and Terra is beyond fascinated by the cord, and always wants to chew on it, paw at it, or walk in front of the screen to play with it. Terra will follow me wherever I go in my house, and gets anxious if she can’t.

Any advice on how to get cord and kitty to coexist in peace?

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d suggest tiring her out before sitting down to play. Jum would always (and still does) find ways to get my attention while I’m playing on my switch and she’s bored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, when I lived on my own, I had a wand toy called Da Bird that was easily Terra’s favorite toy. When I went legally blind and had to move into supportive care, I lost Da Bird. Hopefully, my guy can give me a ride to the Prtco this weekend so I can get her a new one.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terra the Cat is absolutely fascinated by the cord to my expensive new headset, and wants nothing more than to chew on it. Is there anyway I can train Terra to leave to cord alone without yelling at her or otherwise being mean? I woild be apprehensive about coating the cord in lemon juice, as this is a high-end gaming headset we are talking about.

My caregiver has agreed to take me to the local Petco to pick up another Da Bird, her favorite wand toy. Once I have it, how can I tell Terra “you CAN’T play with that string, but you CAN play with this one.”?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We often are asked about chewing of cords and even have an article on it:
and threads where it's addressed:

I used to wrap mine up in alfoil... they weren't at all fond of that, and it wouldn't mean you'd have to coat your expensive headphones with something expensive.
Distracting with Da Bird is a good idea but it will take something a bit more than explaining to Terra that one is OK and the other is not ;)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just went wireless much as i could thenpack/unplug any and all wires,charging cords. when i leave the apartment even used bitter apple it didnt really work .wearing graycie out with a full belly so she wants to nap works better. once she is like that in the pic its game on!

Attachments

SlinkySox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Garlic. Make a weak solution of water and garlic and rub it on the cord. After a few days hopefully she builds an association and avoids it, then clean it. Can’t say for sure she’ll be fond of hanging out close to it afterwards..

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My caregiver has agreed to take me to the local Petco to pick up another Da Bird, her favorite wand toy. Once I have it, how can I tell Terra “you CAN’T play with that string, but you CAN play with this one.”?
I have the same issue with Austin. He will go after some of the cables/cords on my laptop/monitor/headset set up. I usually say NO! CHEWY! And put my hand over the cable. I tried giving him an old set of ear buds that he played with for a while. But I agree. How do you explain it's okay to play with that, but not this.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t think garlic would be a good idea for Terra due to the fac that:

A: Garlic is EXTREMELY toxic to cats.
B: Terra absolutely LOVES the smell of Italian food, and has tried to sneak tastes of pizza when I order it.

It also doesn’t help that Terra’s favorite people foods are ice cream and cheese (i.e. dairy), and likely associates it with garlic due to my habit of ordering pizza fairly often.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I finally got to the Petco and pick Terra up a Cat Dancer, Da Bird, and some chicken treats. Terra absolutely LOVED her new treats, and I’ve had to hide the bag to keep her from trying to get more.

Da Bitd has always been Terra’s most loved toy ever since she was a kitten, and will play with it until she’s exhausted if I let her. Terra will be 11 this year; how log should I play with her on a daily basis. Her vet told me years ago that it wasn’t healthy to run her ragged on a regular basis, so how long would you guys think is a good amount of playtime to keep her happy without running her ragged?