How can I make sure my cat will stay cool?

PeterMittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There’s supposed to be a day this week that’s over 95 degrees and I was planning on going out for at least a few hours that day. My apartment can’t handle more than one AC unit on at a time without blowing a fuse. If I leave on one unit so my cat has at least one room to cool down in will he be okay? If he’s uncomfortable in the heat will he go into the cool one or should I stay home and try to find a way to cool the whole apartment?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There’s supposed to be a day this week that’s over 95 degrees and I was planning on going out for at least a few hours that day. My apartment can’t handle more than one AC unit on at a time without blowing a fuse. If I leave on one unit so my cat has at least one room to cool down in will he be okay? If he’s uncomfortable in the heat will he go into the cool one or should I stay home and try to find a way to cool the whole apartment?
Good tips in this thread :-

summer-heat-wave-safety.446418

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When it's cold cats search for shelter. Same with heat. So having one ac unit should be ok but have some one check on him. Make sure he has free roam of your apartment and lots of water! If someone's coming to help, canned food for moisture. I wish it was over 95 here,not 102!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in an apartment that did not have a/c because the local climate was always fairly cool. On those occasions that the heat rolled in, I would jerryrig a fan to the venetian blind track over the sliding patio doors to blow downwards to the floors. The result was that while it may have been warm, our feet were quite cool! 😎

Remember, boys and girls, warm air rises and cool air sets. If you want to force cool, blow air downwards.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since you mentioned living in an apartment are you on the top floor? The reason I asked is because our second apartment was a top floor and the roof above was tar. It was super hot which is why I said I'd never move into a top floor apartment again. As long as you have one working air conditioner and you're only going to be gone a few hours your cat should be fine. You can also put a few ice cubes in your cat's water bowls.