how can i make my cat gain weight?

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone
My cat is a female scottish fold 1.5 years old and she is only 2.5 kgs. She is going into heat constantly and I believe that’s the reason she cannot gain weight. I want to spay her however she has also heart disease which makes any operation risky so we chose to wait a bit after next cardio appointment.

Do you have any recommendations on how can i make my cat gain weight?

do you think she is skinny?

Attachments

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do lose weight when cycling, heat cycles will also stress her heart and generally you’re better off spaying them rather than holding off.

body condition scoring is better than a number on a scale for telling weight, she doesn’t appear too thin in those photos. Google a condition chart to see how she scores

has your vet considered suprelorin or a melatonin implant in the meantime?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't look skinny to me. I would agree that a spay is a good idea, as long as the doctor approves.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She doesn't seem too skinny to me, but it's also hard to tell with fluffy furr.
My kitten does tend to be quite skinny. He has dry food out all day, and a dinner of wet food. I sometimes add a broth to his dry food in the morning. I really like the broths because it gives him extra moisture, but also gets him to eat more because he can't resist it.

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried dewormer? Sometimes it could be intestinal worms. But truly if she eats well, plays well and sleeps well, then she could just be a little thing naturally.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried dewormer? Sometimes it could be intestinal worms. But truly if she eats well, plays well and sleeps well, then she could just be a little thing naturally.
Deworming should be overseen by a vet. Not all over the counter medications work on all species of worms and other parasites and many are ineffective. A fecal sample should always be provided to ascertain exactly if and what kind so the proper medication can be utilized.

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy the dewormer from a vet, and apply as per their instructions. It was actually my vet who gave me this advice. They explained that the first time it should be done by a vet and then you can see how it's done, but after that you do it as per a schedule they set out for you and using the medication they send you home with. So maybe some vets prefer their clients learn how to do this at home and some don't? Not sure.

In any event, in our case Lucy was very small, then we did the dewormer and she grew a bit. So I'm just sharing our specific case. :)