How can I keep flies away from cat colonies food? Any tips please

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I feed a colony of cats for the past few years. Idk what it is about this year but the humidity has attracted a mountains worth of flies! I only leave out dry food (I’ve never had this big of a fly issue before. Maybe 3-6 max but now it’s like 80 of them EVERYWHERE, you’d think I’m leaving a dead decaying body with the amount of the flies that are there but no. and THEY DONT LEAVE even after I pick up any left over food. I’ve reached my limit. I will not stop feeding my cats but there’s gotta be a safe solution. Is there a fly repellent that’s safe for cats that I can spray around the area?? I’ll try anything please.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We are having a huge fly issue here as well. A restaurant that we sometimes go to which has outdoor seating due to COVID restrictions actually refused customers a week ago as the flies were so bad. So....I don't have some great solution for you and I do feed outdoor TNRed ferals and I do have flies.

Can you hang up those fly traps? I realize that the answer might be no as you are probably feeding elsewhere than your property.

What Scent Will Keep Flies Away?
How To: Get Rid of Flies Outside

In searching, I came upon these two sites. Read through them and see if anything will work for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m feeding them at my property so I can definitely hangs things up. I just want to make sure it’s nothing dangerous so that my cats don’t get sick or worse.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m feeding them at my property so I can definitely hangs things up. I just want to make sure it’s nothing dangerous so that my cats don’t get sick or worse.
You could use a bug zapper if you have a place to plug it in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CTTLQWK/?tag=thecatsite

If you don't you could use something like this. According to reviews, the bait really stinks so that's something to keep in mind if the cats eat near the house. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088ZPYZSD/?tag=thecatsite

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Those, and other products like them, really do smell bad. They have to be kept away from the immediate area where the cats eat, although I have had them in the general vicinity and no one seemed to mind.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bug zappers kill so many good bugs I hate to use those. I know fans will keep mosquitos away, and it seems like it might help with the flies too, but it might annoy the cats? I don't know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your input. I’ve order the fly magnet trap. Hopefully the smell isn’t too bad, I’d hate for the cats to miss a meal cause of this stupid fly issue /: