How can I help this adorable stray?

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I found this stray 2 months ago 3 blocks away from where I live (photos attached), she came meowing to me and I fed her and since then she loved me. she relocates a lot which makes me can't provide her everything I can, I once wandered the whole area looking for her but i didn't find her for about 1 month. I started to see her again frequently now , 3 blocks away still, and I spend some time with the cutie every time I see her. She now sits in my lap, purrs, follows me and gives my her back ( I think that's a sign of trust right?)
I think that's a Persian cat, they are popular here in Egypt but not in the street as they are #1 breed that people purchase (not adopt mostly, sadly..). I asked around but no one claimed her.
I can't unfortunately let her in our home, I live with a "Pet-Hostile" family, Once I adopted a rescue kitten but had to return him after a week because everytime he went out of my room they get scared of him, and he -as a result- got scared of them and I thought that was unfair to him, he deserved a family that loves him. returning him was one of the most difficult things I have done in my life as I loved him so much.
I will be able to feed her everyday, 3 times, provide her water and some quality time but I can't every time keep looking for her, I feel one of the neighbors already got annoyed. How can I make her relocated to my block and get up the stair to the third floor and let her know that in that area you will find food but you can't come in?

I tried leaving food in front of my block but it was filled with ants 5 minutes later, my area is full of them.

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I found this stray 2 months ago 3 blocks away from where I live (photos attached), she came meowing to me and I fed her and since then she loved me. she relocates a lot which makes me can't provide her everything I can, I once wandered the whole area looking for her but i didn't find her for about 1 month. I started to see her again frequently now , 3 blocks away still, and I spend some time with the cutie every time I see her. She now sits in my lap, purrs, follows me and gives my her back ( I think that's a sign of trust right?)
I think that's a Persian cat, they are popular here in Egypt but not in the street as they are #1 breed that people purchase (not adopt mostly, sadly..). I asked around but no one claimed her.
I can't unfortunately let her in our home, I live with a "Pet-Hostile" family, Once I adopted a rescue kitten but had to return him after a week because everytime he went out of my room they get scared of him, and he -as a result- got scared of them and I thought that was unfair to him, he deserved a family that loves him. returning him was one of the most difficult things I have done in my life as I loved him so much.
I will be able to feed her everyday, 3 times, provide her water and some quality time but I can't every time keep looking for her, I feel one of the neighbors already got annoyed. How can I make her relocated to my block and get up the stair to the third floor and let her know that in that area you will find food but you can't come in?

I tried leaving food in front of my block but it was filled with ants 5 minutes later, my area is full of them.
Similar to persian cat, maybe mixed. That cat won’t be able to survive the extreme climate where you are at, particularly in the summer, it is why you said you can’t see them usually in the streets.

Can’t you just take it home with you? I know you mentioned you live in a pet-hostile family, but is it possible that you can just ensure the cat just be contained inside your room? Just put litter boxes and all so there is no reason for it to come out.

I picked up my Barley, also a persian, one winter morning, shivering in the cold outside and suffering from multiple issues. The vet told me he would not be able to survive if he was left unsaved for a few more months outside. I believe he had a family, but since he was probably having all these issues there was a possibility that he was dumped, just like that. The owners maybe did not bother to get him treated.

Please try to bring that cat in, and just keep inside your room. That is the only way the cat would be able to make it. If you have friends who can be able to keep it, it would be much better.

Btw, thank you for taking care of this cat as much as you possibly can. You have a good heart.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's SO beautiful! Definitely some Persian (or similar) mixed in there - - her coat looks like she's a gorgeous dilute calico!!!! Obviously best for HER would be to bring her inside your home - - - she sounds so friendly, is obviously very people-oriented (meaning she was likely - at some point - someone's inside kitty who likely put her outside), and seems to already have "found" you! And life on the streets of any country means a much shorter, tougher life. But from friends I have from your area of the world, I've learned that not wanting pets inside the home is more common then in the US. It seems to be an issue that's evolving with new generations, but I understand that convincing your family isn't necessarily an option. But - if there's even a teensy possilbity of that - it's definitely worth a try - - since she was likely already inside somewhere and may even already know all of the "inside manners" you'd want (like understanding a litterbox, etc.). It almost sounds as if your family is more afraid then anything. Can you bring her by for "meet and greets" with them, perhaps in your yard, or somewhere outside of the house? Have some treats that you know she'd like, and teach them how to pet her, and let them slowly give her treats, etc. If you show them she's in no way nasty and has no desire to harm them, they might change their mind after a little time with her outside of the home. Below is a link that has a little "how to help your friends and family overcome their fear of cats."

How to Stop Being Afraid of Cats

If you can't bring her in, I agree that checking with all of your friends (use your social media like crazy!) would be next best for her. She'd never be hungry, she'd be safe - - and she'd be happy.

So keep us posted! She obviously loves you - - and if you can't be her forever home, hopefully you can find someone as kind as you to take her in so that she can be safe and loved - like she deserves!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Put the food bowl in a dish with water and a drop of soap. That'll keep the ants at bay. And if you leave food by the door, she'll find it. Cats have amazing noses. Or if you need to, tuck it under a bush closer to where she is. The fewer people that see the food, the fewer possibilities of complaints. Put it out at sunup when fewer people are out and about. I use glass dishes so that they don't blow away and people can't complain about "garbage" being around. Leave her water too. I go to thrift stores and garage sales and get small glass bowls and cheap saucers for feeding.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
To help her find the food better, you can add something a little extra stinky on top, like tuna or sardines.

Are you sure she is unowned? If I am able to - with strays who don’t stick around regularly - I try to put a collar on them and then attach a small note to it asking if the cat has an owner and leave my phone number so they call/text.

I usually receive a call the very same day, and most of the time, cats like this do actually have an owner or caretaker.

I would also consider taking her to be neutered or spayed if at all possible for you. I’m not sure what resources you might have for that in Egypt, or if it would be an affordable option for you with a regular vet. But trust me, the last thing you want is little kittens following her around to further pull at your heart strings!

Thank you for caring for this baby :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You all for taking some time to reply, Maria Bayote Maria Bayote , kittychick kittychick k, tnrmakessense tnrmakessense and moxiewild moxiewild

Can’t you just take it home with you? I know you mentioned you live in a pet-hostile family, but is it possible that you can just ensure the cat just be contained inside your room? Just put litter boxes and all so there is no reason for it to come out.
I wish I could have a cat in my life, when i had my first kitten i was so happy and felt now I have a reason to be alive, to keep this kitty happy. the house got 2 LOUD kids and when i left the room (with my previous kitten inside) for college, All i thought about is how does he feels? Scared? sure he is. the kids are very loud.. Does he feel lonely? Does he feel safe? too many questions and i felt so much guilt. I wish the family was open to the idea of a cat inside, i mean all they gotta do is just let it be there, I took care of the food, litter, vet visit, finances.. everything..

but I understand that convincing your family isn't necessarily an option. But - if there's even a teensy possilbity of that - it's definitely worth a try
I live temporarily here with my father and step mother, we are not very close to make this kind of discussion

Put the food bowl in a dish with water and a drop of soap
wouldn't the cats mistake that water and drink from it?

I would also consider taking her to be neutered or spayed if at all possible for you. I’m not sure what resources you might have for that in Egypt, or if it would be an affordable option for you with a regular vet.
There are TNR Campaigns in Egypt unfortunately, has to go to a vet and would cost 700-900 EGP. I don't think that will solve the problem as there are many cats in this area, feral and maybe strays. If I was able to take her home I'd defo neuter her but i don't think i'll be able to neuter her now

Thanks again for your replies and care! :) I'll try to find an adopter on the social media and hopefully i find someone.

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are TNR Campaigns in Egypt unfortunately, has to go to a vet and would cost 700-900 EGP. I don't think that will solve the problem as there are many cats in this area, feral and maybe strays. If I was able to take her home I'd defo neuter her but i don't think i'll be able to neuter her now
Sorry I meant NO TNR campaigns here

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Kinda good news..
I was sitting with the kitty outside the block and the neighbour lives under our floor (He's also a gent and feeds the cat). He told me that this cat HAS AN OWNER! He -the owner- just gives her the freedom to come and go
Although, I see this cat a lot sleeping under a cars, she has no collar, every time she is offered food she takes it with no doubt (first time i met here she was meowing at me, which might mean she was hungry).. is it normal for an outdoor kitty to behave like this?
Sorry I don't a lot on outdoor cat's behaviours. I'm Half happy, Half suspicious/

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Kinda good news..
I was sitting with the kitty outside the block and the neighbour lives under our floor (He's also a gent and feeds the cat). He told me that this cat HAS AN OWNER! He -the owner- just gives her the freedom to come and go
Although, I see this cat a lot sleeping under a cars, she has no collar, every time she is offered food she takes it with no doubt (first time i met here she was meowing at me, which might mean she was hungry).. is it normal for an outdoor kitty to behave like this?
Sorry I don't a lot on outdoor cat's behaviours. I'm Half happy, Half suspicious/
kittychick kittychick

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Kinda good news..
I wish people didn't let their cats roam around unless it's a safe neighborhood. Yes, this happens a lot when cats are domesticated. I've met lots of strays, cats and dogs, that will come straight away to eat. Also would let me pet them. They're used to people and it can be bad since it can be easier for bad people to hurt them. Friendly strays are common. Hope this helps.