How can I get my cat to stop attacking my new kitten?!

corky44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow Cat Lovers,

I desperately need help! I currently have two wonderful pets who are not getting along! It began on December 27, 2016 I decided to rescue a kitten (3 months) and bring her home to a house with a 1 year old cat (who is a siamese mix - dont know if that means anything about the behaviour but people keep telling me siamese cats are jerks). Anyways I did the slow introductions, the smelling of the scents and separating them. Everything was going ok my current cat resident was curious and would go smell the kitten. The kitten would growl a little but do nothing.  I even slept two nights in a row with my bedroom door open allowing them to flow free through the house. Then all of a sudden it was like my current cat resident was no longer curious about her new friend but decided she hate her. So now every time my current cat resident sees the kitten she full blown darts for her and attacks her. The new kitten is afraid and will go immediately into the defensive position or try to run and hide (usually under the couch cause she can only fit). The kitten would run to us and hide behind our legs and she was just purely afraid all of a sudden. she would no longer growl but cry. I decided to separate them after I picked up the kitten when she wasnt fully expecting it and she literally had a projectile poop and it went everywhere. From the situation at hand and what I read online about cats like just randomly pooping like that I think its from her being stressed and afraid. So after that night I have been fully separating them. ( No contact although when I have switched them theres been a swat here and there) I have been giving them both lots of loving so theres no signs of like them being mad at me like pissing on my items. I will also swap them so each will have a turn to sleep with me and be in the living space so they have plenty of each others scent. I have also tried feeding them on each side of the door. 

Anyways what I am looking for is help and ideas to get these two female felines getting along! My hopes were to come home one day  and have them cuddling and loving each other but I now realize that might not be realistic at least for awhile. Also not that this is fully related but my friend also rescued a kitten at the same time and brought it into a home with a 4 year old cat who she always said was a jerk and they just love each other and she sends me pics of them cuddling so I am just like ughhh! why not mine! So please help me help these guys learn to live with each other and build their furrrriendship. (lame but couldnt help it!) 

Heres some information that might help as well.

My one year old cat has lived around cats all his life. The house I got him from was literally filled with cats it was insane. It was a man who let stray cats have their litters in his home and he was desperately searching for homes. So anyways she was always around cats as a kitten and when she came into my home she was around another. I had a 17 year old male cat (who was seriously the best cat who ever lived and best friend a girl could ask for. I got him when I was very young as a kitten himself). Anyways she got along very well with my senior cat and they were always cuddling and loving each other. But my senior cat got very sick and we sadly had to say goodbye. Its also very sad this happened all during my cats first year of life as well. So when he passed I was devastated. I didnt want another pet and I honestly considered not getting another one and all the feelings that come with losing a family member but I was worried that I didnt want my cat to be alone because shes very young and playful and loved her old buddy. So after four months of being the only cat in the house I brought home a new friend. 

So thats why im shocked she is full blown going after the new kitten because she has always been around others. This new kitten I rescued was also found frozen alone and is just the most loveable cuddly creature that wants to be loved. Shes also tiny compared to the one year old and I dont want her getting hurt. 

I dont want my kitten to be afraid and I am just stressed to the max over this. My senior cat loved everyone and over 17 years there was never a pet we came across whom he didnt get along with so this is all new territory to me. Im obviously not fully over his passing but my fur babies are helping me heal. So please send me advice or even words of encouragement because I know it hasnt been that long since I brought this new kitten into my house but I just wanna make sure im doing everything I can to give them a good home.  Thanks so much! 

Im also sorry this is so long and pretty all over the place! 

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The new kitten was in a small room for over a week, you did the scent swapping and the room swapping after that week and then allowing them to see each other through the crack in the door, then you moved on to supervised play times, gradually working up to allowing the newcomer run of the house in a bit over two weeks. I'd say you went a bit too fast. 

If they are unable to be in the same room with each other without attacking or being attacked you need to start the process again and go very slowly. 

If it is possible to have them in the same room together you could try short supervised play sessions with lots of positive reinforcement, treats etc. 

It's all about territory. You need to help make your home a place where the new cat feels comfortable and confident. It's your resident cat's territory, your resident cat sees the new cat as threatening her territory. 

You build the new kitten's confidence up by getting her used to her safe room for a week at least, playing, positive reinforcement, pats and treats will assist. Have each cat sleep on the other cat's bedding or grab a towel and rub it on one cat (particularly over the cheeks) and then over the other cat and vice versa.

Once the week is done, she needs to scent mark another room, playing with her and being with her in this room (with the resident cat in her space) until she feels comfortable in it then open up the rest of the space. 

Cat Nap says this in a post:

The whole idea of 'cat-to-cat' introductions is to reduce the 'fight or flight' response in our cats.

By doing the steps slowly, and in a logical order of using the cat's senses, then this reduces their fear reactions. You're first using Hearing, then Scent, then Vision, and applying tasty food, play, or treats to make positive associations for the cats to experience, to lessen their fear.

Try using feliway during this process, it has chemicals that are supposed to be like friendly cat pheromones. 

Read the following articles for details on the process:

[Article] How To Successfully Introduce  Cats: The Ultimate Guide

[Article] Introducing  Cats  to Cats  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

corky44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the info! I will definately give these all a try. I have separated them since the pooping incident which was over a week ago. Im so new to all of this. When I first brought her home they were in the same rooms and I just separated them at night until the attacking started to happen. I have started to swap them (one in the main space and one in the room then switch) I havent done the towel thing and rubbing the scent on them with it.
Thanks for the articles as well!

. I will give this a bit more time and see what I can do. Thanks ago! will give updates if I am still having issues!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes please keep us informed, there are many experienced people here who can give you advice.

Cmb5211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Just wondering if this all got worked out?! I’m currently going through the same thing and hoping for some reassurance that they will like each other eventually :( it’s been 2 weeks for me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C Cmb5211 Welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Just wanted to mention that this is an older thread, and the original poster hasn't been back to the site in over a year, so you may not get an update from them.

Since you are having a similar issue, perhaps you could start your own thread, and explain your situation. That way you will probably get more replies, and they'd be focused specifically on your cats and their issue.

Here's the forum: Cat Behavior

And here's: How To Create A New Thread