How can I get my cat a Revolution prescription online & avoiding physically bringing her to the vet?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many reasons a simple call to the vet for a prescription can be difficult. For me I was between vets as I did not click with the original one I took my boys to. The pets megastore has been a great resource for me that has saved me ALOT of money. I have only received quality products.
I got the "guilt trip" speech from my vet about the dangers of buying flea meds from anyone but them. They finally said ok to the written prescription to send to Chewy but neglected to tell me when it was ready. That cost me another few wasted days. Then had to mail it to Chewy Pharmacy, wait for them to get it, wait for them to fulfill it, and wait for them to send it. I am hoping that since they already have the OK on file, my next order won't take as long.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cost of buying from a local vet versus ordering online notwithstanding, most vets in my area are offering curbside pickup. People can call ahead, pay with a card and arrange a time to visit. They hand you the goods and you’re good to go.

Logistically, that’s almost as easy as things can get. Sure, you can save money by ordering online but the benefit is that you have your medicine immediately instead of waiting seven to ten days or even longer. Essentially, it’s paying for convenience.

The caveat would be whether the cost difference is so great that it outweighs the benefit of convenience. If the markup from your vet is too much, it makes sense to order online instead.

Another factor in the equation is how you feel about supporting local businesses instead of giving money to online megastores.

Supporting my local vet is important to me. Plus we have a good relationship. I think it’s important for people to band together and help each other in these times of trouble so, unless the price difference is outrageous, I’d go with the local option.

The convenience of being able to get my goods right away just tips the balance a little bit more.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A prescription for Revolution shouldn't require a vet visit. Call the vet and ask if a prescription can be faxed or emailed to wherever you want to buy the product from. Chewy.com and 1800PetMeds among other web sites sell Revolution and usually ask for a prescripton or your vet's contact info. Be wary of web sites that sell prescription products without asking for a prescription or vet info. The product may be counterfeit.

Your vet may even sell Revolution and can arrange for it to be mailed to you or pick up.
Yes it should. And vets are required to do a physical exam if they haven't seen the pet in a certain amount of time. Where I am, if Revolution is seen online, it is counterfeit as they do not sell to online pharmacies. It may be different where you are.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the "guilt trip" speech from my vet about the dangers of buying flea meds from anyone but them. They finally said ok to the written prescription to send to Chewy but neglected to tell me when it was ready. That cost me another few wasted days. Then had to mail it to Chewy Pharmacy, wait for them to get it, wait for them to fulfill it, and wait for them to send it. I am hoping that since they already have the OK on file, my next order won't take as long.
It isn't a guilt trip; it is a rule designated by the regulating body. If your cat had an issue which was exacerbated by a medication, and your vet prescribed it without looking at your cat, wouldn't you be a bit pissed? It is the vet's licence at risk as well.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it should. And vets are required to do a physical exam if they haven't seen the pet in a certain amount of time.
It is similar for humans when it comes to things like asthma medication.

If the doctor has seen a person, recently, and knows their medical history of having asthma, the doctor can just "phone it in," so to speak. There is still a requirement that the person visit the doctor every so often, just for a checkup and to update medical history if necessary.

Same thing with a cat, I'd say. If the vet knows your cat and you have had a recent visit, they should be able to phone it in.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is correct. I take my cats in annually for checkups and shots, and as a result, the clinic will authorize the Revolution without another visit.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Out here a vet has to have seen a pet within the year to prescribe meds; if the vet feels that amount of time is too long, they can require a visit depending on the condition that the animal has.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't a guilt trip; it is a rule designated by the regulating body. If your cat had an issue which was exacerbated by a medication, and your vet prescribed it without looking at your cat, wouldn't you be a bit pissed? It is the vet's licence at risk as well.
Then why do they sell it over the counter if a vet needs to be involved???

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason the US has decided that Americans aren't smart enough to use heartworm meds without a vet's supervision. In other countries, these products are OTC (Australia and New Zealand, at least, not sure about others).

Yes, legally, in the US, a vet must have physically examined the pet within a year in order to prescribe meds, although there is a bit of a loophole if they have "a working relationship" with the owner, so they can probably get by with it if they've seen the owner with a different pet within the last year. But at any rate, if neither of you have seen the vet in the last year they definitely can't prescribe meds.

I've ordered various heartworm meds from Australia and New Zealand, and I'm confident they were the real deal. Be sure to pick a proper pet pharmacy that has been around for a while and has good reviews.

But also, yeah, customs is extremely backed up right now and some countries don't even have mail service. It's gonna take a few months for any overseas shipment.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen it at the grocery store before. To be honest, I was a little surprised at that.

You found Revolution at a grocery store? Is this in the US? Revolution is not sold at grocery stores or even pet stores. If you found Revolution in a store, it's most likely a counterfeit product and should be reported to Zoetis, the company that makes Revolution. This goes for any prescription pet or Human product. If it's sold OTC in an unusual place, it should be reported.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You found Revolution at a grocery store? Is this in the US? Revolution is not sold at grocery stores or even pet stores. If you found Revolution in a store, it's most likely a counterfeit product and should be reported to Zoetis, the company that makes Revolution. This goes for any prescription pet or Human product. If it's sold OTC in an unusual place, it should be reported.
No, not Revolution specifically. A monthly flea/tick medicine in general. Can't remember which brand as I just happen to see if when I was looking for cat treats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hartz? That's sold pretty much everywhere and is not a prescription brand. Hartz is also a brand to stay away from because many of the products are known to be harmful to pets. I wouldn't trust any parasite product sold in a grocery store, dollar store, etc.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hartz? That's sold pretty much everywhere and is not a prescription brand. Hartz is also a brand to stay away from because many of the products are known to be harmful to pets. I wouldn't trust any parasite product sold in a grocery store, dollar store, etc.
I will have to look later this week but I don't think it was Hartz. That has been sold everywhere for decades so it wouldn't even have caught my eye. This was a name brand flea medicine. I agree with you about Hartz. POS company and how they are still in business is beyond me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh there are lots of flea meds available at stores. Most of the higher-quality ones are Frontline knockoffs. What makes Revolution different is that it prevents heartworms, which apparently puts it in a different category in the US.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh there are lots of flea meds available at stores. Most of the higher-quality ones are Frontline knockoffs. What makes Revolution different is that it prevents heartworms, which apparently puts it in a different category in the US.
I am really liking the Revolution Plus. Had never heard about it until the vet prescribed it after dealing with new kittens that had ear mites and roundworms.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really liking the Revolution Plus. Had never heard about it until the vet prescribed it after dealing with new kittens that had ear mites and roundworms.
Dogs have to be tested first to see if they have heartworms because the medicine can have very bad side effects if they are already infested. I don't know if this is the same in cats, but that could be why a current or recent visit is required. For cats, the mite and worm protection is also a great benefit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Revolution, like some of the other flea/etc. treatments, contains an ingredient that is regulated by the FDA - that is the primary reason for it being prescription. Also, a vet will not prescribed these treatments without first testing a cat for heartworm. Even though there is no 'cure' as there is with dogs, there are certain supportive measures that can help a cat through having heartworms, such as anti-inflammatories, steroids, and/or antibiotics, which will help reduce symptoms that can accompany heartworms. What I don't know for sure is if a cat can be given treatments like Revolution during any supportive measures to help the cat get through heartworms once they are found. I have never found any information that specifically addresses this particular aspect.