How Can I Care For This Outdoor Cat?

Nimpy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm currently staying with my father and he has a group of cats. One of them, I call B or Terian, who is I think six months old, and is the littlest of the litter of kittens it came from. It's still smaller than all of the other, grown cats, granted they're all males.

Every time I try to go outside, this kitten will constantly follow me, meow at me, stand on me feet, and hug my legs until I either drive off, go back inside, or sit down and let it climb onto my lap or onto my belly. Then it will knead me or sometimes even sit still and begin taking a nap on me. Other times it will just climb all over me before going off and doing it's own thing. This goes on for about 15-30 minutes, usually.

I adore the kitten, but its behavior makes it very difficult to go outside to go for a run or jump rope. It even makes it difficult to drive off without making sure it is nowhere near the car. I was going to go to the park today and go for a run but ended up sitting for an hour letting little B take a nap in my lap.

My best guess is that it did not get enough attention and/or nutrition, and still does not. It has to compete against about 5-7 cats for food, and its own mother, Cutie, was not its primary caretaker. It was mostly her sister, Blondie. An orange cat who came from Cutie's litter, and had her own but lost all but one kitten. But now Blondie keeps the cats away, as she should when they get big enough, and prefers to keep to herself and hunt, as she should.

I would prefer to solve this issue for both B's sake, and my health's sake. How should I go about doing this? I've suggested to my father to let B stay inside, but I don't know if it will happen. I was thinking I could spend 30 minutes to an hour a day giving it milk (if it is not too old for it) and letting it lay on me, then guide it towards a cardboard box with one of my t-shirts with my scent on it.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's 6 months old, he does not need to be bottle fed milk. He can get all of his nutriets from solid foods now. Hopefully someone else will comment if extra milk would be helpful for any reason, just be aware that most cats are lactose intolerant and need special cat milk or goats milk. He just be drinking water on his own, he could do the same with milk. I'm not really sure about the behavior stuff. Does is play with the other kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nimpy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she does. Not as much as most of the other cats, though. She sometimes nurses on her mother or cuddles with the other cats when napping, but as soon as I come out, she leaves them to follow me.

I don't often see her go hunting with the other cats, though. I'm not sure if that is strange or not.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! See if you can't talk your father into letting this little one stay inside. Preferably with a little area all her own that she can come and go from at will. Perhaps the area could be in your bedroom while you are with your dad?

Then, as you suggested make sure you spend time with her whenever you can - not giving milk, but playing and loving. I also like your t-shirt idea in a cardboard box as well.

Keep us posted on what is going on.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
B sounds like a non- feral cat. I think your father should contact some rescues and no kill shelters. B seems like an adoptable cat and six months old is a great age for adoption as well.

Of course if your father wants to take B on as his own indoor pet that would be wonderful as well!

Let us know when you and your father are ready to catch B. There is certainly enough experienced people here that can walk you through it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens should be weaned by 5 weeks old which means no more milk. Only water and canned food if you can afford it. Are the other cats his or stray Cats? Can you get the mom fixed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nimpy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so I observed her behavior a bit more. She doesn't really like to play with the other cats. She doesn't like to eat it them, as well. Though sometimes she will let her mother clean her, sometimes her mother acts like she doesn't want to be around her, and then B prefers to keep to herself and clean herself.

I'll try talking to my father about her some more this weekend. I wouldn't mind letting her stay in my bedroom, but I'm gonna have to cat-proof a lot of it. I mean a lot. Until then, I'm going to sleep in an old t-shirt tonight and put it in a cardboard box for tomorrow.

I really don't want to give this cat up, but if she can't stay inside, and if I end up leaving sometime soon anyways, she really would be better off with someone who would like having an in-door cat. If it ends up being that, then I will ask questions about catching her, because she has no problem following me inside.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you move she will be easier to adopt if socialized more with you and your dad. Let her out of the bedroom once she is comfortable. Clatify that also before you do that. Curious, is this cat runt of the Litter? Normally until the kitten is older,probably 7 weeks more or less,
the mom keeps her hidden in the bushes so no hunting or being with her siblings. Not sure what age.
She can start exploring

Last edited: