How Can I Bring My Rooster Too The City?

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise

So I've been moving around a lot and Baffy my rooster lives at my grandparents in the coop with the other chickens and is angry that I don't live there anymore and he's forced to be an actual chicken (he was hand raised by me and dislikes coops).

He gets very excited when I come visit of course but when I put him back in the pen he pecks me (I actually have a scar on my face now cause he got me good and I lost a chunk of my ear another time) poor (violent angry) baby

So, I'm moving to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia soon and was looking into boarding him on a property near by cause ya know, he crows all day everyday an it's noise pollution
(why must he be a boy).
If anyone reading this lives in the Brisbane area and is willing to take him here I would be INCREDIBLY grateful <3

I did look into possibly getting him caponized (basically desexing for roosters) but apparently chicken testicles are located inside their body (under the backbone between the lower two ribs) and the operation has a 5% death rate and the birds rarely are but under anaesthetic and infection are common that it stops the crowing AND it's banned in the UK because of the cruelty so, yeah, I scrapped that idea unless I can get a trained vet to do it safely and with low risk and anaesthetic. (http://www.humanesociety.org/…/HSUS-Report-on-Caponization.…)

There's also decrowing which works by severing the vocal cords but this also has a high death rate and heaps of complications post surgery and only works some of the time as well not to mention the mental toll a rooster that can't crow is not worth it and it just seems incredibly cruel. (think of it like de-barking a dog) (http://animals.mom.me/how-to-stop-a-rooster-from-crowing-27…)

BUT

While I was looking up chicken sanctuary's tonight, one lady told me about **** Collars (insert inappropriate joke here)

They basically work by being "worn snug around the rooster’s lower neck without altering their ability to communicate or behave in any other different way except lowering their crow in the morning and throughout the day. rooster collars prevents roosters from pushing out contents they have inhaled all at once, which produces a softer less powerful crow, while still allowing your rooster to function and perform normally" (http://www.cockcollars.com.au/)
So yeah I'm gonna give that a try and if it works i may be able to keep Baffy in the city if I can find a suitable place!!!

If you guys have any suggestions it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks if you got through this incredibly long and over explained post, I originally posted it on Facebook on Baffy's page (Baffy the chicken) so I explained a lot of terms that people not part of a dedicated animal forums possible wouldn't know :)

Also posted on (Moving to the city, how can I bring my Rooster)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweet photo of you and Baffy! The more I learn about chickens, the more they amaze me with their intelligence and affectionate nature. You've obviously done a lot of research looking for a way to keep him with you so you may already know about the forum Backyard Chickens. BackYard Chickens Just doing a quick search, it looks like many of their members keep their chickens as pets so there may be information available on preventing roosters from sounding Reveille every morning.

animated-chicken-image-0043.gif

We do have members who live in Australia and we probably have members who have kept chickens as pets, so you may get some helpful tips here at TCS. Our focus is cats, though, so please don't be too disappointed if no one can help. I know they would, if they could.

FWIW, I wouldn't try to de-crow or neuter him either. If that collar really works without causing discomfort or negative side-effects, that does seem the way to go. I really hope you are able to keep him with you. :crossfingers: It's clear that you two belong together!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise
What a sweet photo of you and Baffy! The more I learn about chickens, the more they amaze me with their intelligence and affectionate nature. You've obviously done a lot of research looking for a way to keep him with you so you may already know about the forum Backyard Chickens. BackYard Chickens Just doing a quick search, it looks like many of their members keep their chickens as pets so there may be information available on preventing roosters from sounding Reveille every morning.

View attachment 215553

We do have members who live in Australia and we probably have members who have kept chickens as pets, so you may get some helpful tips here at TCS. Our focus is cats, though, so please don't be too disappointed if no one can help. I know they would, if they could.

FWIW, I wouldn't try to de-crow or neuter him either. If that collar really works without causing discomfort or negative side-effects, that does seem the way to go. I really hope you are able to keep him with you. :crossfingers: It's clear that you two belong together!
Thanks! I've had him since he was laid and he imprinted on me when he hatched so he's very bonded to me and he's about 18 months old now (he's a mumma's boy) and yeah it's incredible how clever and loving they are! Baffy loves to cuddle and will often ask for pats and the be picked up (usually by pecking my feet until I do so haha)
And yeah, the other post is actually on backyard chickens :) so far no good tho (i think is cause their site is larger so it takes a while to get answers on forums and their arnt many Australians I can find)
And I'm not expecting anything crazy from here! I just figured I'd cover all my bases :)
And I really hope I'll be able too keep him as well, but at least if I can't I know he has a home at my grandparents :)
Thankyou so much for all the lovely words <3

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Aww. What a baby! You can tell he really loves his mum.:cloud9: He's also very beautiful - I love his markings.

Wishing you the very best of luck in finding some way to keep him with you. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had no idea til this thread and yesterday, with a video I just happened to catch of a rooster literally, honest to gosh running down the (rather long) driveway to meet his young owner as she got off the school bus. Pretty amazing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise
I had no idea til this thread and yesterday, with a video I just happened to catch of a rooster literally, honest to gosh running down the (rather long) driveway to meet his young owner as she got off the school bus. Pretty amazing!
YES I've seen that video and funnily enough Baffy actually does that too! Chickens are way more affectionate and clever then people realise <3

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't live in Australia, but here where I live it is also illegal to keep roosters or other farm animals. I think that is fairly typical for areas that aren't rural.

That said. Our neighbor does have a rooster and it drives me insane. The rooster crows all day every day, it is worse than our other neighbors barking dogs. It'd be great if that collar would work. I don't think it is likely for any landlord to give permission to have a rooster in a home especially in the city and definitely not if it is illegal there. :frown:

Here's a link to laws in Brisbane. It says you can keep hens but not roosters. :frown:

Chickens and poultry | Brisbane City Council

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems the rules are similar in other states, rooster in rural areas but not residential for obv reasons. Hopefully you can find someone. How much quieter would his crowing be with the collar? Perhaps there can be special permission or something if you can guarantee he is not going to wake up the neighbourhood. (maybe wishful thinking, idk). I'm in Vic so sorry I can't be more helpful.