How Can I Be The Only One...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...who has an 18Lb tall cat that that stands up to pee, walks right into the box and doesn't turn around, so she needs a box that is high enough to catch the pee, but isn't too high because she has arthritis and she jumps out the side? (Sorry, I know I've posted about her litter box being too small in length & width before. But, I am trying again: current box 19.5"L x 16"W x 8"H - the height being the only purrfect part, and it is the same on all sides.)

I went through all of the ones in the recommended list (What's The Largest Cat Litter Box (and Why Your Cat Needs It)), and none will work. They are either too low, or too high, and (NOTE FOR THE STAFF HERE) many of the covered boxes are actually smaller than the listed dimensions, which is the result of the manufacturer listing NOT the size at the bottom of the box, but at the part where the top and bottom connect - on the outside edge.

I've researched storage boxes, containers, cement mixing tubs, and I can't even remember what other terms I have used - all to no avail. I have been to at least a dozen different stores...

I know some of you have talked about cutting a hole in the front of a plastic storage container - assuming I could even find one even close to the right size (I am still looking for one around 24"L x 21"W - and as close to 8"H as possible). But, I have no idea how to do that, how big of a cut (because of her peeing habits), and what to do with the rough edge resulting from the cut. Please advise me about this.

And, are there any other options?? HELP!!!!!!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, you can buy a box with very high sides online. Both Chewy.com and Amazon have them. They are as high as a storage container with an access slot built right in. If you use the storage container, which is nice because most of them are clear and the cat can see around, cut the hole down to about 5 inches from the bottom and 6 inches wide. You can use a metal nail file to smooth down the edges.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, you can buy a box with very high sides online. Both Chewy.com and Amazon have them. They are as high as a storage container with an access slot built right in. If you use the storage container, which is nice because most of them are clear and the cat can see around, cut the hole down to about 5 inches from the bottom and 6 inches wide. You can use a metal nail file to smooth down the edges.
Thanks, I will check them out, but can't cut down to 5 inches because she would more than likely pee over that height. And, if the sides are too high, I don't know what she will do about jumping out over them (like she does now) - hopefully if the box is bigger, she will turn around and NOT go out the opening. Who knows.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the biggest problem is that she doesn't turn around, but she still has to be able to get into the box. That's a conundrum! Do you think if the opening was on the wide side of the box, she'd turn her butt toward the narrow end? Or would she just walk straight in and pee like she does now?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the biggest problem is that she doesn't turn around, but she still has to be able to get into the box. That's a conundrum! Do you think if the opening was on the wide side of the box, she'd turn her butt toward the narrow end? Or would she just walk straight in and pee like she does now?
Thank you for recognizing all of her "issues"!! That's a good question. Also, another question that's crossed my mind: if the box were bigger, would she be more inclined to move around first before peeing?

One of the reasons, I hate to spend too much money/labor trying to find out!! I could be buying hoards of boxes only to try to recycle or give them away. Yikes!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is her arthritis mild enough that it can be helped by Cosequin or something similar? If it is, you could turn a massive tub into a top entry litter box. She can stick her butt in whatever direction she wants in a top entry without making a mess. Or maybe a top entry with a ramp?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is her arthritis mild enough that it can be helped by Cosequin or something similar? If it is, you could turn a massive tub into a top entry litter box. She can stick her butt in whatever direction she wants in a top entry without making a mess. Or maybe a top entry with a ramp?
Thanks! She is on Glyco Flex Plus, which has resulted in her now jumping back up on 12" makeshift steps to get to her destinations (most of the time), although she is still somewhat hesitant about going up (rests on the step), and even more so about getting back down (just sits there until she figures out she's got to get down somehow). She won't use a shorter interim step before the 12" ones, I tried.

Assuming she would use a ramp, that would get her up to the top, but she would probably need a ramp to get down to the bottom - that would be one HUGE tub - lol!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but I have a penchant for crazy ideas. It makes for some interesting times when I'm solving my own animal problems. What about a smaller litter box inside a bigger one to catch any pee?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Did you see this one at Chewy? It’s not quite as wide as you want, but otherwise it might be a possibility.

Frisco High Sided Cat Litter Box, Extra Large 24-in

I’m one of those who cut out an entrance on a Sterilite container for the kitties. One of the kitties at the sanctuary where I volunteer stands up to pee so I made these for the cat cottage.
A15F4FEB-AFF3-45E1-B9F0-1A2357F4BFBB.jpeg

I put the cut out at the end of the long side so that the cats would be more likely to turn lengthwise when they entered. I’ve watched Rain, the one who pees standing up, and she does just that. When she pees, it hits the high sides. All of them seem to enter through the cut out.

To keep the box from cracking, I first drilled holes in the corners. Then I drilled small holes all around the lines I drew as a guide for where to cut. I used a box cutter with a new blade to repeatedly score the lines. Eventually, the piece snapped out, but it does take perseverance and some care to avoid slicing your fingers!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you see this one at Chewy? It’s not quite as wide as you want, but otherwise it might be a possibility.

Frisco High Sided Cat Litter Box, Extra Large 24-in
I am learning to ask about the bottom dimensions of the pan. The one you provided a link to above is actually 19.75 inches long x 12.875 inches wide, which turns out to be no wider than mine at the bottom, although it is nearly 5 inches longer. And, the entry point is actually about 6" high. It's crazy, but I am finding a LOT of people are now asking about the bottom dimensions, as they are so much smaller than the top.

Your perseverance on the Sterlite box is impressive...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Your perseverance on the Sterlite box is impressive...
Ha. Perseverance fueled by frustration. Even the most dedicated of volunteers can get tired of cleaning cat pee from under and around six litter boxes week after week. I had to find a solution; the staff wasn’t focused on it with so many other animals under their care.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry but I have a penchant for crazy ideas. It makes for some interesting times when I'm solving my own animal problems. What about a smaller litter box inside a bigger one to catch any pee?
Ha,ha! It would have to be a jumbo box inside a humongous box. I am hoping if she gets a bigger box, that she will learn to move around in it instead of peeing at the entry point - not to mention STOP peeing on one of her back paws (every time).

But, since she needs to be able to get in fairly easily, I guess the outside box would be for hopefully catching any pee that went outside the inside box, which would then not have to be as high? May have to do something like that, but was sure hoping not to have to clean TWO boxes. Lol!

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I installed a pet door leading to screened in back porch. If I had not had a back porch, I would added a very small outside enclosure.
Litter box is out there.
I did this before we figured out a litter box that worked.
And once we did figure it out? We saw no reason to bring it back inside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. So, what litter box worked?

I am not looking to put her litter box outside on our screened in patio, especially at night. She is closely watched at night when she is out there before we go to bed, given we are known to have random possums, raccoons, and armadillo out there. Plus, that wouldn't really solve my problems with her anyway.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, here is a good example of how the litter box dimensions are different between the measurements displayed on a product and the actual size at the base of the box. The litter box pic here, from Chewy.com, states the dimensions are 24"L x 18"W. But, when I asked for the measurements at the base of the box, Chewy responded by telling me they are: 20"L x 16"W.

The difference on this particular box isn't as bad as some of the others, but is still somewhat misleading in terms of 'walking around' space.

Although, it is a fair amount bigger than the current one I have (at the base - mine is only 14.5"L x 12"W) , the front entry is 6" high (and mine is 8"), so I am afraid to buy it for fear the 2" difference at the front will be enough to enable her to pee over the top. Still searching...
71J1gHbZSvL._SX679_[1].jpg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat peed standing up, and would always like to hit the "narrow" sides (ends) of any box we used. So to make sure he did not pee over the edge of the box we made, we cut the only entrance to the box on the wide side of the box. Our cat was a big cat (tall, long, thick bones and strong muscles) and although slightly overweight as well, he came in at 26 lbs at his heaviest. We needed a big box too!
I'm not sure where you live, but I found the best storage bin at Canadian Tire (I'm in Ontario Canada).
I don't remember the brand of the bin, sorry, bit it measured 31 inches X 15.5 inches (bottom measurements) by 13 inches High. It is a smooth (no bumps, or ridges like some bins have) clear plastic bin that comes with a clear lid. The lid attaches with purple clamps that are attached to the bin (not the lid) at both ends.
I then marked a cut out in the middle of the side of the bin, and used a jigsaw to cut it out. I then took first coarse, then fine grain sand paper to really smooth all the edges. It worked perfectly.
I'm going to google it for you, since I know what I'm looking for, hopefully If I figure out the brand of the box you could try to find it where you live.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found the name brand of it!!!!

Sterilite ClearView Tote with latch 104L, not sure what other store carries it, considering I don't know where you live either. But it's at Canadian Tire.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're using the largest of the plastic (see through, no sneak attacks allowed here) rubbermaid containers and so far the pee (even from the boy who sprays upward :doh:) stays in the box.
Unless your cat likes to dig at the box/wall above it, buying those absorbent puppy training pads and taping them firmly to the wall and tucking the last 4-6 inches below the lip of the box has helped us, too. If it's a huge issue, line the area around the box (both sides, behind, front) with these pads. It's a pain in the butt but they're cheap, disposable, and work to keep pee off the floor.

....what we don't do for them. And for our sanity. :agree:

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Found the name brand of it!!!!

Sterilite ClearView Tote with latch 104L, not sure what other store carries it, considering I don't know where you live either. But it's at Canadian Tire.
Thanks. I'll see if I can continue to look online somewhere in the US. But, so far, it just drives me back to Canadian Tire!!