how bad is dry food really?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a good idea!! i think im gonna invest in one of these. if it works it'll make things so much easier
We got a MiBowl. It's definitely an investment but the cat loves it and we love it, too. I bought ours from Chewy because it could be returned (for up to a year!) if Ireland didn't like it. The company sells them a bit cheaper but the return window is very short. Just ask if you have questions about training or anything else!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is good to know .Would love not to have to do prescription food for life
Yes it gets very expensive!

I found my vet very facilitative on making the switch after a bit. I'm sure if you called, you could discuss it.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they said he has to stay on hills prescription diet from now on, which is unfortunate because we havent necessarily heard the best things about hills.
I had a sweet boy that used to have crystals regularly. As in, to the hospital several times. I looked into the different foods to help. Rx vet foods are the worst. You might as well be serving them Friskies or Meow Mix. I found a company called Diamond. They have a urinary blend my little man went on for years after his last 3 day stint at the clinic & until I had to switch him having kidney failure. In the few years he was on that dry diet, he had 0 problems or trips to the vet due to crystals.😊
As for the topic, I really hate when people say a cat won't starve itself to death. I want to ask what kind of wonderful cat they have? That won't allow its stubbornness outweigh its self preservation.😂
I tried forcing several of mine to take to wet. Yeah. Didn't work so well. My cats went 2 days on no food. So I highly disagree. I didn't want liver and other organ damage so I threw in the towel.
Most of mine turn their nooses up at wet. It sucks. I. Would live to have them on it. But alas, only my guy with stomatits (& now kidney failure) is the only one on only wet food.
I'm on my 4th kidney failure cat now in 6yrs. I really, really wish I could get more water into them. Mine also don't like the fountains. They steer clear of it. But I put several bowls of water all around the house. It's not good enough. But it's the best I can do.:/

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The real issue is that all creatures need fluids and most of the time cats get theirs from food,, When the kibble came out bigtime I was sitll showing cats and was by the sales stall at one show at Olympia and there were great worries re cats dying f kidney failure when they were fed EXCLUSIVELY on kibble ... ( I added that word myself from my experiences) I use dry foodvery sparingly , never totally. Mine get a variety. Raw chicken, tinned wet food, kibble far less than the other foods, And I watch the water bowls like a hawk,,,, Dry food is not an essential after all. For me a convenience to fall back on if i have not been able to shop ( I live remote on a small island) Never a staple diet... Not natural enough for my liking! Watching them tearing into a chicken joint is bliss..NB well over 50 years of cats