How are the Texans on this site doing?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading up on what's been going on and just wanted to know how everyone was doing? I hope you are all well.
As a Canadian from Northern Ontario, here are a few tips...
If your power stays out for too long and you don't want to lose you food. put it in containers and stick them outside in the snow (if it's colder out there than inside), obviously, you need to take the local wildlife into account, but it's a good way to keep your frozen food longer.

Use coolers lined with blankets for your pets beds. They will help further insulate/retain their own body heat. Just make sure the lid can't close on top of them if it's attached.

Get any type of plastic (garbage bags, tarps etc...) and duct tape. And seal all your windows, it will help keep the heat in and stop any drafts. To the same effect try to find ways to seal up your doors as well....even if it's just putting a towel across the bottom if you feel a draft coming thru.

You can even make a little space heater...I found this on a different site instead of trying to describe it to you. Obviously NEVER leave it unattended.
1613831997373.png

Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and I'm hearing a lot of people are doing this.....leaving their car running for warmth, while in the garage.....PLEASE DON"T DO THIS!!!!
Some have already died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And one more thing....sorry I can't get all my thoughts put together for one post I guess LOL!

Leave a couple taps on, just a little trickle/fast drip. This will help prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting. And if your water is still good, rather than just wasting the water, place jugs in the sinks so you can at least use it for whatever...even if you need to boil it for consumption or add a cap full of bleach to it to use for things like washing dishes...At least it won't just all go down the drain.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you have running water. I guess a lot of people have burst water pipes and it will take awhile to get a plumber to get them fixed. This was extremely unusual weather for Houston and it can wreak havoc in an area that isn't prepared for it.