How about a generic interior door with an already installed cat flap/door?

Zeeroburn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
-long post warning- the point of it all, if you don’t want to read the backstory, is at the bottoms, spaced away. Thank you in advance!

I have two cats, and have owned cats virtually my entire life (only times without was boot camp, A-school, and barracks time before I was able to find a home(stationed new, so stayed on base).
I now have a roommate so I like to keep my bedroom door shut, both for my privacy and his. I have 2 cats, they hate my door being shut! And by hate, I mean the full potential asshole of a their cat souls comes out! Whether they want to come in, or are staying inside my room and then decide they want to leave, these two are relentless for meowing, clawing, padding, or straight up attacking the door.

Does anyone know of where to find a typical/generic interior door with an already-installed cat door/flap? I rent right now so I can’t just do it to my current door. If I can’t find one, I may just go buy another door and do it all myself, which I’d fine, just looking though. Thanks again!

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't share any location info though. I mean I can share a suggestion from Istanbul but I have a hunch you're not in Turkey.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheapest thing would be to buy a door, add a cat door and put it on yourself. Hollow core doors are fairly inexpensive, hinges can be tricky but there are other ways of attaching a door, like piano hinges but it would leave some extra marks your landlord might not appreciate.

Cats don’t need much room to squeeze through. You might consider putting a door stopper on your door so that it is kept cracked open just a few inches. Another so that the cats can come and go but not so much that your roommate can see into your room. If there is no way to do this just hang a curtain over the door to block the view.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats don’t need much room to squeeze through. You might consider putting a door stopper on your door so that it is kept cracked open just a few inches.
Or try this:

Just adjust the strap enough to allow a cat to squeeze through the open door but still keep your privacy. You may want to hang a curtain over the inside of the door if you don't want others to peek in through the door crack.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah a Door Buddy-type device might be your best bet. Cheaper anyway :D.

I'm pretty sure I've seen pet doors as an option offered for new doors at Menard's. You could call your local hardware stores and ask if they do that.

. . .but I think I'd try the door stopper first.