Hovering Resident Cat

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Balcony has been cat proofed, you just can't see it in the photo. He also understands that he isn't allowed out there without me and without his harness and lead. He signals that he wants to go out by scratching at his harness.

Windows all have screens. I also check the window screens quarterly to make they are in good condition and he can't get through them.
Excellent. Someone so precious definitely deserves all of that!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason he really likes the balcony but freaks out the second i try and take him out the main door. Its really odd. I like on the 3rd/4th floor(1st floor is half basement) . Like he doesn't try to intentionally yeet himself off the edge of the balcony, but i does think he is smaller than he is, and "i can totally balance on that window ledge mom, jeez" despite the fact he can't balance on the exact same ledge that in the balcony are. -.-
Lol. Not really odd.
He's just a smart cat. :cool2:
He knows that the main door...means 'danger out there', 'scary',...door that leads to the Vet's office, dogs, big people, stupid cars, etc...etc.

" "i can totally balance on that window ledge mom, jeez" despite the fact he can't balance on the exact same ledge that in the balcony are. -.-"
:crackup:
Well, seeing your photos of kitten Jack, and how small and adorably cute he was...(well still is)...then I guess it's not such a leap of thought...in Jack thinking that he "is smaller than he really is". :loveeyes:

But yeah,...the thinking that he could 'balance himself'...but cannot...is hilarious. :lol:
I think that is quite common, in all our cats, though,...especially the big boys.
They try to walk a 'tight line, edge, chair, sofa back, cupboard, side table'...and then 'whoops'...they're on the floor.

Luckily they always act like..."no problem, here,...I really just wanted to jump down....my timing was just off a little"
It's like watching the olympics...and one of the gymnasts fall. yikes.
The cats are better, though,...they just casually walk away...like all was in their plan...to begin with. :cool: :rolleyes2:
Also . . . Guess what i found :D
Firstly, Baby jack because yes.
Secondly, potato murder jack videos won't load, but i have them in an album.
20201003_075640[2].mp4
Baby Jack is awesome.
The only things that look the same are maybe the ears...and the "thoughtful look".

How is it that his tail...looks bigger than he is...in the videos??
That 'floofy tail' is incredible.
It seems longer than he actually is.
Oh, wow.

Thanks for saying that there were more than one video...since I watched the second one..and thought, "where are the other potato murder Jack videos". :paranoid::dunno: :lol:

When I watched the first one, Jack looked like a 'southpaw'...meaning he seemed to only use his 'left paw' to box the potato.
And then he made this cool move...where he kind of 'flips over'...like he's in the Matrix...and has to attack the potato...from a different angle. :cool2: :biggrin: :lol:
But in the second video, he uses both paws...so I guess he's not strictly a left paw hitter.

To think,...we here at the Cat Site...recommend all types of toys, and stuff for cats...when all they really need is a potato...to play with.:crackup:
I wonder what kitten Jack was thinking...when playing with that potato?? 🤔
You know,...Jack could really have been a 'chef'...in a previous life...and was showing off his culinary skills...
Or like you said...just murdering a potato. lol.
Thank you so much for all the laughs.
(my eyes are watering, from laughing,...and now I want to go and make some mash potatoes)
  • 20200714_190711[1].jpg20200628_142132[1].jpg

I cannot believe that this little guy above...is the same big guy...with the holiday tie.:lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol. Not really odd.
He's just a smart cat. :cool2:
He knows that the main door...means 'danger out there', 'scary',...door that leads to the Vet's office, dogs, big people, stupid cars, etc...etc.

" "i can totally balance on that window ledge mom, jeez" despite the fact he can't balance on the exact same ledge that in the balcony are. -.-"
:crackup:
Well, seeing your photos of kitten Jack, and how small and adorably cute he was...(well still is)...then I guess it's not such a leap of thought...in Jack thinking that he "is smaller than he really is". :loveeyes:

But yeah,...the thinking that he could 'balance himself'...but cannot...is hilarious. :lol:
I think that is quite common, in all our cats, though,...especially the big boys.
They try to walk a 'tight line, edge, chair, sofa back, cupboard, side table'...and then 'whoops'...they're on the floor.

Luckily they always act like..."no problem, here,...I really just wanted to jump down....my timing was just off a little"
It's like watching the olympics...and one of the gymnasts fall. yikes.
The cats are better, though,...they just casually walk away...like all was in their plan...to begin with. :cool: :rolleyes2:

Baby Jack is awesome.
The only things that look the same are maybe the ears...and the "thoughtful look".

How is it that his tail...looks bigger than he is...in the videos??
That 'floofy tail' is incredible.
It seems longer than he actually is.
Oh, wow.

Thanks for saying that there were more than one video...since I watched the second one..and thought, "where are the other potato murder Jack videos". :paranoid::dunno: :lol:

When I watched the first one, Jack looked like a 'southpaw'...meaning he seemed to only use his 'left paw' to box the potato.
And then he made this cool move...where he kind of 'flips over'...like he's in the Matrix...and has to attack the potato...from a different angle. :cool2: :biggrin: :lol:
But in the second video, he uses both paws...so I guess he's not strictly a left paw hitter.

To think,...we here at the Cat Site...recommend all types of toys, and stuff for cats...when all they really need is a potato...to play with.:crackup:
I wonder what kitten Jack was thinking...when playing with that potato?? 🤔
You know,...Jack could really have been a 'chef'...in a previous life...and was showing off his culinary skills...
Or like you said...just murdering a potato. lol.
Thank you so much for all the laughs.
(my eyes are watering, from laughing,...and now I want to go and make some mash potatoes)
  • 20200714_190711[1].jpg20200628_142132[1].jpg

I cannot believe that this little guy above...is the same big guy...with the holiday tie.:lovecat2:
Lol, when i get home i'll try to find another photo, but yes, Jack is half tail. He is still half tail. In the winter it looks like a big oll feather boa its so fluff.

I'll also try to throw in the Potato Murderer Jack : The Prequal video in there. He jumped into the pantry and decided that this particular potato offended him. Though speaking of Chef Jack, he does like to supervise me cooking and demands to see what i'm making if he can't get up on top of the fridge . . . Now i want to make him a little Chefs hat . . . hmmmmm

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish my cats did this, instead of reacting to the harness with disdain.
Lol. imaginewizard imaginewizard ...at least your cats only react with disdain. :blush:
My previous rainbow cat...would run in the opposite direction...on seeing the harness.
When he first was being trained to use it...he would roll, and roll, and roll.
I had to take it off pretty quick, since I didn't expect that reaction. :eek2:
Lol, when i get home i'll try to find another photo, but yes, Jack is half tail. He is still half tail. In the winter it looks like a big oll feather boa its so fluff.

I'll also try to throw in the Potato Murderer Jack : The Prequal video in there. He jumped into the pantry and decided that this particular potato offended him. Though speaking of Chef Jack, he does like to supervise me cooking and demands to see what i'm making if he can't get up on top of the fridge . . . Now i want to make him a little Chefs hat . . . hmmmmm
Wow. Feather Boa. :clover:
That might come in handy...to get Jack...to go around the home,...and go under furniture and things to "dust" clean the place.
(my cats are both black...so when they go under some furniture, chairs, and basement,...and come back looking 'grey'...I know it's long overdue...for me to 'dust under the furniture' and in corners and such.

oooohhh...the Prequel video sounds good. hahaha.

Wondering now, if cat Chef Jack...is more of a chef Ramsay...or a chef Jamie Oliver??
Does Jack like all healthy foods, and always is enthusiastic and positive while you are cooking...or is he very vocal...and seems to criticize a lot...with throwing some temper tantrums? :biggrin: versus :evilgrin:

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may not hold him like a feather duster, but I may have used the laser pointer strategically before.

Somewhere in the middle? He's only really vocal when i'm cooking with some kind of pork product, when he demands "quality control" samples. When it comes to fruits and veg, he's tried to murder a potatoe, a carrot (no video), and a lemon (i don't think i have video?). Soo i'm going to say not a fan?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I may not hold him like a feather duster, but I may have used the laser pointer strategically before.
Using a laser pointer...strategically...hmmm..🤔.Excellent idea. thanks.
Somewhere in the middle? He's only really vocal when i'm cooking with some kind of pork product, when he demands "quality control" samples. When it comes to fruits and veg, he's tried to murder a potatoe, a carrot (no video), and a lemon (i don't think i have video?). Soo i'm going to say not a fan?
Ohhh...Jack is definitely in the 'school of chef Ramsay'...then.
Hopefully those 'meows'...are not going to be translated by any newly invented 'cat apps.'
Of course...with all that murdering of vegetables and fruit...I guess that would make sense.

I did love how he 'spun the potato'...in one of the above album videos.
Like Jack is inventing a new game...or just testing the rotation.
Who needs a bottle...when you can use a potato.

Or else Jack was practicing spinning the potato...like spinning a top.
(my cats love when I spin a toy top...fearless...but my dog, big lab retriever mix...goes running because he's scared.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using a laser pointer...strategically...hmmm..🤔.Excellent idea. thanks.

Ohhh...Jack is definitely in the 'school of chef Ramsay'...then.
Hopefully those 'meows'...are not going to be translated by any newly invented 'cat apps.'
Of course...with all that murdering of vegetables and fruit...I guess that would make sense.

I did love how he 'spun the potato'...in one of the above album videos.
Like Jack is inventing a new game...or just testing the rotation.
Who needs a bottle...when you can use a potato.

Or else Jack was practicing spinning the potato...like spinning a top.
(my cats love when I spin a toy top...fearless...but my dog, big lab retriever mix...goes running because he's scared.)
One word: CUCUMBER. :insertevillaugh:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
One word: CUCUMBER. :insertevillaugh:
Ah, yes,...but weren't people "purposely scaring their cats using cucumbers".
That was totally mean, causing the cat's 'fight or flight' response to happen...suddenly placing cucumbers behind them...when they were not there before. That was a weird internet craze.

Granted, my own cats get very frightened...when I leave black socks on the floor...so basically...I think they are 'telling me'...."hey, pick up those socks, and place them in the laundry bin". (also, the socks must look like some snake or animal or something, I guess.)

With my 'spinning the top' actions...it was not done on purpose to scare them...just to see what they would do.
But you are right...I should not do it to the dog...if he gets too scared. :think: :doh::fear::running: My bad. :whistle::agree::devilish:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes,...but weren't people "purposely scaring their cats using cucumbers".
That was totally mean, causing the cat's 'fight or flight' response to happen...suddenly placing cucumbers behind them...when they were not there before. That was a weird internet craze.

Granted, my own cats get very frightened...when I leave black socks on the floor...so basically...I think they are 'telling me'...."hey, pick up those socks, and place them in the laundry bin". (also, the socks must look like some snake or animal or something, I guess.)

With my 'spinning the top' actions...it was not done on purpose to scare them...just to see what they would do.
But you are right...I should not do it to the dog...if he gets too scared. :think: :doh::fear::running: My bad. :whistle::agree::devilish:
Yeah. Stupid thing, like almost all of the "internet crazes" -- people with too much time on their hands and most probably, too little grey matter. Not at all sure about potatoes. I've never placed any kind of fruits or vegetables in my cats' proximity -- they're either in the refrigerator, the fruit bowl, or the potato bin (in the past). Socks are in the sock drawer, which has been investigated and enjoyed by several cats. My mom and I used to have great running sock fights up and down the long hallway that runs almost the length of the house.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom and I used to have great running sock fights up and down the long hallway that runs almost the length of the house.
Ummm..."sock fights"??? 🤔
I've heard of "pillow fights"....but never sock fights.
How does that work? Do you stuff the socks with things and throw them at each other?
Do you bundle the socks into balls...and then throw them?
Do you slide around in socks?
I just cannot picture it.

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Stupid thing, like almost all of the "internet crazes" -- people with too much time on their hands and most probably, too little grey matter. Not at all sure about potatoes. I've never placed any kind of fruits or vegetables in my cats' proximity -- they're either in the refrigerator, the fruit bowl, or the potato bin (in the past). Socks are in the sock drawer, which has been investigated and enjoyed by several cats. My mom and I used to have great running sock fights up and down the long hallway that runs almost the length of the house.
OH no, i never put the potatoes in jacks proximity. they were in the pantry. Jack saw it, said **** that one potato in part(i apologize mods if there's a language rule. i couldn't find one), and jumped up to it to murder it.

Jack's not a sock man, though he does like q-tips for some reason and i have to be very careful about cleaning those up.

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH no, i never put the potatoes in jacks proximity. they were in the pantry. Jack saw it, said **** that one potato in part(i apologize mods if there's a language rule. i couldn't find one), and jumped up to it to murder it.

Jack's not a sock man, though he does like q-tips for some reason and i have to be very careful about cleaning those up.
Welp, that answer's that question 😅

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ummm..."sock fights"??? 🤔
I've heard of "pillow fights"....but never sock fights.
How does that work? Do you stuff the socks with things and throw them at each other?
Do you bundle the socks into balls...and then throw them?
Do you slide around in socks?
I just cannot picture it.
I've never had an intentional sock fight, but if someone heckled me while i was doing laundry(cough cough sister cough cough), i would 100% ninja star a rolled set of socks at their head.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had an intentional sock fight, but if someone heckled me while i was doing laundry(cough cough sister cough cough), i would 100% ninja star a rolled set of socks at their head.
Yeah. That's what we'd do, running up and down the hallway, laughing nonstop. It was a lot of fun.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
oh I mean part of his expression of disdain is to leave. That’s why I have to try and make sure he doesn’t see it until the last second…
At least once he’s in it he’s fine
Oh, I misunderstood.
I thought you meant your cat would see the harness...and then have a total look of disdain.

(Similar to the type of look, a cat will sometimes give you...when you try to get them to eat some 'healthier' wet cat food.
And they just sniff it, back away,...sit down,...and look at you.) :blackcat2::silver::redtabby:

That's very smart thinking...about not letting him see the harness until the last second.
I have to do that with the cat carrier, before having to go to the vet.
But now, I'll try doing that with the harness, too. :think: