Housekeeping

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here ever use a housekeeper? I'd like to bring in a cleaner for a deep clean of my condo, but I'm wondering how to do that in a way least upsetting to my kitty. She was adopted during COVID, so she's not met a lot of people, and even though she's generally a confident kitty, she's been skittish this week when new people have come over.
The other issue is that I only have one litter box, in the second bathroom. But I'd really like the cleaner to clean that room. For folks in similar situations, what do you do? I've put her litter box in the (attached) second bedroom when I clean her bathroom and that was fine, but then she'd be so close to the cleaners; if I move her upstairs, will she recognize the litter box? I don't own a cage or large crate, just the small fabric crate I take her to the vet in, which I can't imagine keeping her in for a long time.
Any advice appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Can you get a second litterbox and try this?
I do have an extra box but I'm not sure how quickly my kitty would take to a new one. Do I need to leave out the second litter box in advance, and if so, how far in advance? I definitely don't want this to be permanent, since the upstairs loft is not a great space for a litter box on a permanent basis.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd try in advance, maybe 2-3 days. Take a little used litter from the original box and add it in the litter for the second box so she notices it.

Maybe place a big towel underneath that second box to catch any flung litter for easier cleanup. I do this now and then for my Poppycat when there's company/visitors, he's somewhat the same and stranger-shy (and a major litter-flinger LOL). Once everybody's gone and I've removed the second box from the extra bedroom, he just heads right back downstairs to the basement and uses his regular box as usual :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a housekeeper til covid started. I would not risk anyone coming to my house for her safety and mine. Now I do everything myself. I am in an apartment so not real bad. She has covid now. Also housekeeper for other houses.. My vacuum has no cord which makes it easier and my mop is a swifter so no buckets used.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You don't want a litter box on the loft? ;) I have had housekeepers and my dad had one once a week years ago when I and my then-animals lived with him. I would try the suggestions here and just relocate kitty temporarily. It was never that big an issue to the cats.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for the input. It's good to know I can temporarily install a second litterbox without forever creating the expectation that she can pee there. I plan to wait until the Covid situation is better, but I definitely could use a professional clean before I have friends back over.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vacuum has no cord which makes it easier and my mop is a swifter so no buckets used.
BTW, a shout out to cordless vacuums! I wanted one for a long time and finally splurged on one last year. Best purchase ever, and that was before I had a cat. I vacuum several times a week now and it's so easy. Now that I have a cat, I can't imagine life without one.