Hound & Gatos Grain-Free Cage Free Turkey Recipe Dry Cat Food

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Saw a special on this food and wondering if it was decent. I try to spend $2-3/pound of less on dry food and just catch better brands on sale. (If anyone has suggestions on an affordable better quality dry food within this range, feel free to share!) My kitties mainly get wet food, so the dry is to just supplement and maintain weight. Each cat gets about half a tablespoon of dry food a day currently.

The ingredients looked pretty good and the first 2 ingredients are animal proteins.

Deboned Turkey, Egg, Sweet Potato, Tapioca, Turkey Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Turkey Flavor, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Proteinate, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Salt, Yeast Hydrolysate (Source Of Beta-Glucans), Cranberries, Blueberries, Broccoli, Dandelion Greens, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Niacinamide, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Taurine.

Thanks for any feedback! I'd love to know if this was adequate or if I should wait out for a later sale with a different brand. :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hound & Gatos is a very good brand of food. Many cats will not take to it, because it does not contain 'junk'....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks artiemom artiemom . That makes sense. For the wet food, the kittens do not fancy the hound and gatos wet food, but Isabelle will eat it. But they also are not huge fans of pate, which may influence that, too.

And looks like the last couple of dry food that I've tried that were supposed to be healthier (merrick and canidea, and healthier compared to the iams I used to buy before learning more about nutrition) still had potatoes and peas, which this food doesn't have. Is that similar to the ingredients you described as "junk" or did you have something different in mind?

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you find it at Ollie's? I saw a ton of H&G dog food at an Ollie's this week.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ollie's is like a discount warehouse. They get all kinds of random goods. The one I stopped at had a shelf of bags still in date for $7.99.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fed the dry for the first time yesterday and all three kitties were very excited! And the kittens are also not fans of the wet food while Isabelle is, but went wild for the dry. So yeah!