Hot Spots From Obsessive Cleaning Questions

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am new here. I have a 3 year old male kitty. Castor Pollux white fish and tuna recipe dry food. Treats are applause filet of fish. His neck was shaved by the vet. It has been a month and he is still scratching and licking it obsessively so it isnt healing. Picture if his neck below. I tried septiderm-v and I tried it for a week and no luck.
IMG_20181214_103935.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Oh my!

Here are a couple thoughts.

Can you do two things regarding food; try a canned food that has no fish, or has fish lower in the ingredient list (in case you're not familiar, ingredients are listed by decreasing amounts, so the first ingredient in the list is in the food in the greatest quantity). Then when he's eating the canned food, cut back on the kibble to where you're feeding a ratio of 2/3 canned and 1/3 kibble daily or something more or less approximating that. Here as well, I think I'd try obtaining a food that doesn't have fish as such a major component of the food.

Also use freeze dried treats instead, there are chicken, boar, venison etc. Brands to look at are Orijen, Primal, Only Natural Pet, Purebites.

Also, try this, from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 It's antibacterial and antifungal.
"You can also try a wash of chilled chamomile tea on his face. Brew it from commercial bags (those are ALWAYS German chamomile and safe for cats), chill it in the fridge, and swab it on. It kills the itch from almost anything. I've used it on humans and animals for everything from athlete's foot to eczema with good results."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Oh my!

Here are a couple thoughts.

Can you do two things regarding food; try a canned food that has no fish, or has fish lower in the ingredient list (in case you're not familiar, ingredients are listed by decreasing amounts, so the first ingredient in the list is in the food in the greatest quantity). Then when he's eating the canned food, cut back on the kibble to where you're feeding a ratio of 2/3 canned and 1/3 kibble daily or something more or less approximating that. Here as well, I think I'd try obtaining a food that doesn't have fish as such a major component of the food.

Also use freeze dried treats instead, there are chicken, boar, venison etc. Brands to look at are Orijen, Primal, Only Natural Pet, Purebites.

Also, try this, from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 It's antibacterial and antifungal.
"You can also try a wash of chilled chamomile tea on his face. Brew it from commercial bags (those are ALWAYS German chamomile and safe for cats), chill it in the fridge, and swab it on. It kills the itch from almost anything. I've used it on humans and animals for everything from athlete's foot to eczema with good results."
Thank you for the fast response! I have only had him on grain free foods for the past year. I have tried chicken recipe Simply Nourish and also Castor Pollux Chicken and Free Range Turkey Recipe. He is very picky eater and this current food he has been on for about 2 weeks and it seems to show a little improvement. The vet recommended an anxiety medication, but I don't want my kitty to be on pills everyday. Thank you for the advice I am going to try the tea thing and see if that works. I have attached a close up picture below of the area he is obsessively cleaning to the point of sores on his skin. Should I ask the vet for a cone so he cant lick and scratch the area? Sometimes he scratches it with his back legs and makes a sound like hes in pain while scratching it. I tried Septiderm-V and it had no effect on the area. I just want these to heal and his get back to his normal life. The vet shaved the area around it already.
20181215_125842.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try the tea. If he is amenable, you can also give him 1-3 teaspoonfuls orally, up to three times a day. If he is over 12 pounds, you can up that dosage to 1-3 tablespoonfuls three times a day. Administer via syringe. He may be overgrooming from stress, and chamomile is WONDERFUL for relieving stress in man and beast without leaving that "druggy, wobbly" feeling. It just gently calms.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That's so terrible for him, and you as well, I am sure. Let me ask for clarification - he WAS on the grain free chicken or turkey, but is NOW eating the fish products since two weeks ago - or is the reverse?

Either way, has the vet tested him for allergies - of any kind? Did the vet take a skin scraping to look for possible skin issues?

It may not even be food related - detergents, other environmental elements that he is allergic to. Can you tie when this started to any changes around your home? Is he allowed to go outdoors, and is getting into something out there?

As far as foods go, there are specific cat foods for cats who have allergies, at least you could talk to the vet about them and see if those foods might work better for him - assuming he will eat them?

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. That's so terrible for him, and you as well, I am sure. Let me ask for clarification - he WAS on the grain free chicken or turkey, but is NOW eating the fish products since two weeks ago - or is the reverse?

Either way, has the vet tested him for allergies - of any kind? Did the vet take a skin scraping to look for possible skin issues?

It may not even be food related - detergents, other environmental elements that he is allergic to. Can you tie when this started to any changes around your home? Is he allowed to go outdoors, and is getting into something out there?

As far as foods go, there are specific cat foods for cats who have allergies, at least you could talk to the vet about them and see if those foods might work better for him - assuming he will eat them?
Yes that is right he just switched to the fish from the chicken and turkey. He was going crazy when he ate chicken and found that to be an allergy for him. He just wont leave it alone to heal it seems. I just picked up a ecollar for him and he is asleep next to me in it. He cant get to the area with this color on. Someone told me it could be the metal food and water bowls I got him when I moved is that true? I just want him to feel better I have a picture below of right now what he is doing.
187_1544903664100.jpeg
20181215_135301.jpg

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try the tea. If he is amenable, you can also give him 1-3 teaspoonfuls orally, up to three times a day. If he is over 12 pounds, you can up that dosage to 1-3 tablespoonfuls three times a day. Administer via syringe. He may be overgrooming from stress, and chamomile is WONDERFUL for relieving stress in man and beast without leaving that "druggy, wobbly" feeling. It just gently calms.
Awesome I will pick some up today and give it a shot. He doesn't seem to mind the inflatable collar I just got him to heal in. I hope he heals quickly I hate seeing him in pain or have something wrong. He is super sweet and always is next to me or cuddling in my lap.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That collar is SO much better than the cone!!! Try the tea both ways, as a skin treatment and orally, but you'll have to find a way to get his neck relatively dry before you put the collar back on (don't want it moist under the collar). Maybe not put the tea on 'dripping', and then hopefully hold him for a minute or two, and then dab that area with a paper towel/towel just to remove most of the moisture.

I don't think stainless steel bowls would be a problem, but I do know cats who have had issues with plastic. So, if you move away from the metal, get ceramic dishes/bowls. Also, whatever you use, make sure you keep them clean.

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That collar is SO much better than the cone!!! Try the tea both ways, as a skin treatment and orally, but you'll have to find a way to get his neck relatively dry before you put the collar back on (don't want it moist under the collar). Maybe not put the tea on 'dripping', and then hopefully hold him for a minute or two, and then dab that area with a paper towel/towel just to remove most of the moisture.

I don't think stainless steel bowls would be a problem, but I do know cats who have had issues with plastic. So, if you move away from the metal, get ceramic dishes/bowls. Also, whatever you use, make sure you keep them clean.
Thank you! I wash his food and water bowls everyday with soap and water. Yea I spent the extra $ the ecollar seems very uncomfortable looking so this way its a cushion on his neck. I am gonna go grab the tea when I go to the store later. He is not bothered by this inflatable collar which is good and it keeps his sore open air but he still cant get to it. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again! Just a thought - you rinse the dishes really well to get any soap residue off? Dawn Original, the one that's used to wash oil off of birds etc could be a good choice...

Last edited:

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again! Just a thought - you rinse the dishes really well to get any soap residue off? Dawn Original, the one that's used to wash oil off of birds etc could be a good choice...
Yep I am cleaning them out and making sure no soap is left. :)

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: day one of the inflatable collar I monitored him all day wearing it to make sure. He is scratching at the collar, but it's not scratching his neck! It's doing exactly what I got it for.

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE - Day 3 of the inflatable collar wounds are healing quickly once he cant reach them anymore with his back legs, and mouth to lick and bite at it. He doesn't mind the collar either which is a good thing he is still just as cuddly as ever. <3

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And I have just put "inflatable collar" on my list of things to keep on hand, just in case! Thanks for that information!

PatKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took off the inflatable collar. He is scratching and licking the same spot again not sure what is going on to make him want to irritate that spot over and over.