Hot Spot? Ringworm? Fleas?

uhmkyrstin

Mama to a Purrfect Kitten
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I recently rescued an abandoned kitten from a storm, he was under a vehicle and the water was rising as it was raining, complete with thunder and lightening. When found, I believe he was around 4 weeks old and still needed help eating and going to the bathroom. Within a week, I taught him to eat soft, and then hard, food on his own, drink water from a bowl, and use a litter box. He was snuffling and coughing, but it has improved after a few drops of saline in his nose. He is active and loving and runs around a ton. I have bathed him twice with dawn to remove fleas and flea dirt and his fleas have reduced dramatically. Now, here's the problem. After his last bath, I noticed he was missing a path of fur. It's round, so my first thought was obviously ringworm. But, the skin is smooth, and honestly doesn't look like a ringworm infection. I read that flea saliva can cause hair loss but he lost his hair after I got rid of most of his fleas. (Plus he was never outside after being saved so I'm not sure how he would've gotten ringworm). I asked a friend and she said it looks like a hot spot, which I had never heard of but I looked it up and it is possible. I plan to take him to the vet next week when they have an open appointment, but I want to ask the advice of the kitty community to see if any of you know what it actually is, so that I can keep it under control until the vet visit. I have been putting A&D ointment and Antifungal cream on it for about 4 days now. Around the spot scabs up, and they scabs fall right off when I rub either of the creams on it, as they heal quickly. I will attach photos. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVICE AND OPINION! (:

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks very like ringworm to me, but...that's something only your vet will be able to tell. The good thing is that, where the patch is, you can safely continue the antifungal until he gets into the vet. I'd be amazed if he didn't have ringworm (which seems to be rampant this year) with his rough beginning. Bless you for rescuing him!

Welcome to TCS. We're so glad that you and your little one found us. When you get a moment, click on this linkhttps://thecatsite.com/forums/new-cats-on-the-block.20/ and introduce yourself and your kitten to the community! What's his name, BTW?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

uhmkyrstin

Young Cat
Purraise
It looks very like ringworm to me, but...that's something only your vet will be able to tell. The good thing is that, where the patch is, you can safely continue the antifungal until he gets into the vet. I'd be amazed if he didn't have ringworm (which seems to be rampant this year) with his rough beginning. Bless you for rescuing him!

Welcome to TCS. We're so glad that you and your little one found us. When you get a moment, click on this linkhttps://thecatsite.com/forums/new-cats-on-the-block.20/ and introduce yourself and your kitten to the community! What's his name, BTW?
His name is Dipper! Thanks so much for replying, I am hoping to clear him up soon and take care of him best I can. He's a sweetheart and I want the best for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He looks, from the little I can see, like a cutie-pie, and he certainly made a good landing in a safe spot! Let me know what the vet says, please! I so want this little guy to do well!

Summertime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello i am having a similar problem and am curious as to what the vet said about your kitten's issue? I originally thought my cat had ringworm but he has never been outside and neither one of my other animals show signs of ringworm. I know other animals can carry it without symptoms but i have a feeling mine is not ringworm. i honestly think it is ear mites and my cat has been scratching too much. Anyhow, i cannot make it to the vet till Monday, so i am wondering what your vet said. My kitten's
hair loss is in the exact same place. Thank you so much. BTW your kitten is adorbs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

uhmkyrstin

Young Cat
Purraise
Hello i am having a similar problem and am curious as to what the vet said about your kitten's issue? I originally thought my cat had ringworm but he has never been outside and neither one of my other animals show signs of ringworm. I know other animals can carry it without symptoms but i have a feeling mine is not ringworm. i honestly think it is ear mites and my cat has been scratching too much. Anyhow, i cannot make it to the vet till Monday, so i am wondering what your vet said. My kitten's
hair loss is in the exact same place. Thank you so much. BTW your kitten is adorbs!
i’m glad you asked. as a disclaimer before i answer, you should definitely still bring your kitten to the vet when you can, just to make sure. but, my baby didn’t have ringworm. he had ear mites and flea allergy. i treated him for ringworm for weeks!! before i was able to take him to the vet, and he didn’t even have it! all i did was make him miserable for no reason. if your cat is scratching and losing the hair where he scratches, it’s likely hair loss FROM scratching. if it’s behind the ears like dippers in the picture, it’s likely mites. to check for mites, look in your cat’s ears. are they unnecessarily dirty? lots of gunk and debris? a sign of mites. clean them. if they become filthy within the next day again, VERY likely ear mites. if it’s mites, your vet will just give you the correct meds and your cat (should) clear up soon! i would just refrain from touching the area, i wouldn’t let others touch it either, and wash your hands a lot. just incase! i wish you luck and i hope your kitty feels better ASAP!!! update us when you know for sure.