Hot spot? Ring worm?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That doesn't look good. Is it bothering him any or sore to the touch? Any reason why you think it could be ringworm? I honestly can't tell from the picture, but I suppose it could be. It could also just be a wound that he managed to get from another cat or something within/outside your home?

For now, if you can't get a vet to look at it, you might want to clean it. Buy some plain chamomile tea bags (standard grocery brands which are generally all German - you don't want English, or any additives or flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and clean the area with a soft cloth, 2-3 times a day. The tea is an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent, and has both soothing and healing properties. It is also safe for him to ingest.

As an alternative you could try cleaning it with some mild antiseptic soap, rinse, and then apply some antibiotic ointment (the original Neosporin with no pain additive would be OK). It seems he would have a tough time ingesting any of the ointment based on where that spot is, but to be on the safe side try to not use to much ointment.

Keep an eye on it, and look for other similar spots on the rest of his body. Hopefully some other members will come along soon and offer their input.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowchelle1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. That doesn't look good. Is it bothering him any or sore to the touch? Any reason why you think it could be ringworm? I honestly can't tell from the picture, but I suppose it could be. It could also just be a wound that he managed to get from another cat or something within/outside your home?

For now, if you can't get a vet to look at it, you might want to clean it. Buy some plain chamomile tea bags (standard grocery brands which are generally all German - you don't want English, or any additives or flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and clean the area with a soft cloth, 2-3 times a day. The tea is an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent, and has both soothing and healing properties. It is also safe for him to ingest.

As an alternative you could try cleaning it with some mild antiseptic soap, rinse, and then apply some antibiotic ointment (the original Neosporin with no pain additive would be OK). It seems he would have a tough time ingesting any of the ointment based on where that spot is, but to be on the safe side try to not use to much ointment.

Keep an eye on it, and look for other similar spots on the rest of his body. Hopefully some other members will come along soon and offer their input.
the reason I suspect it to be ringworm is I saw him physically scratch that area of his chest raw and clumps of hair were shed instead of individual hairs. The only place that cat has been is to a booster shot event and an adoption event. At the adoption event the kitten wore a Christmas themed tie collar. The sore presented itself the day after the adoption event which may be too soon for any fungal issues to arise. But he has a littermate he rooms with and other than that has had very minimal contact with our household pets.
I have some chamomile tea so I will definitely give that a try. I’m considering bathing him and his littermate with antifungal shampoo today since I can’t get to the vet for a few days due to the holidays and limited hours.