Hot flashes ?????

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had night seats since I was 10 yrs old .. I also have PMDD ( diagnosed in my teens )... I sleep with little on"_

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Chris, have you actually been diagnosed with menopause (and if your doctor is moron do you trust his diagnosis)?

I thought I was going through premenopause until I went to see a doctor about my thyroid. Have you had that checked out? Because a lot of symptoms of menopause can mimic symptoms of thyroid (hyper or hypo). If you haven't gotten your thyroid checked, can you get in to see an encronologist just to make sure? I think 32 is a bit young for hot flashes, unless you have a history of this in your family.
I'm sorry if it sounded like I thought I was going through menopause.

I have no idea what these hot flashes stem from at all

(although after looking into it, they could be from my meds).

No thyroid issues (or at least none that show on standard blood tests, but that was um 2yrs ago.... I'm due for some more bloodtests by the end of the month and thyroid is on there)

No history of early menopause, my ma was mid 40's.

I don't think they are bad enough to warrant doing something about (medical treatment)....I was more looking for ideas of what to do for relief during one.

I too prefer cooler weather than hot, and even in the winter, I sleep au naturel.

Laurie: I do not think it is pain related.... those episodes are accompanied with nausea and the shakes and of course, high grade pain. When I wake up soaked, I'm in no more pain than normal.

Thanks everyone

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I, too am "one of the older ladies", that being said, I have had hot flashes and night sweats since I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 36. Now, 14 years later, it has progressively gotten worse. I use a cold compress and a fan at the foot of the bed. I nearly freeze dh out sometimes. But, I just can't stand the heat. I prefer the cooler weather than the hot. When it is hot, I nearly burn the HELL up. At night, it is worse and I sleep with very little on and the fan on and this may sound stupid, but, with my feet out from under the cover.

I am always looking for other women with the same situation that can lend any suggestions that might work for them.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had that problem I am an "older" lady of 57 and I am still reminded once a month that I am a woman. Yahoo.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep with 3 box fans,a ceiling fan,and a window air conditioner in our room.Thankfully hubby prefers the cold---MOST of the time.LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I sleep with 3 box fans,a ceiling fan,and a window air conditioner in our room.Thankfully hubby prefers the cold---MOST of the time.LOL
Now that's where my prob is. If these get worse, we're going to have to have seperate bedrooms which I don't want

DH prefers warmth.... he sleeps with polar fleece pants and a tshirt under a flannel sheet, fleece blanket, and comforter. I sleep in undies, under the same bedding but usually push the comforter off.

If he had his way, the thermostat would stay at 72 even at night (I cut it back to 68)

Paulena: I second the feet outside of the covers..... I've started doing that as of late (usually when I start to have a hotflash).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this since I didn't read the entire thread yet, but you might check to see if you are diabetic. If you are, sweating and "hot flashes" can be a sign of low sugar and need to be dealt with quickly before it gets too low. If you can't get your sugar checked, you can try eating something like peanut butter crackers and see if the hot flash goes away.

If it really is menopausal hot flashes, I dealt with mine by having lots of fans around and driving DH bonkers turning the air conditioning lower and the heat off in the winter.

I think I would also google causes of hot flashes to see if you have additional symptoms for something or other.

Ultimately, you need to find a better doctor. Having a doctor who is a moron can prove fatal (as it did in my mother's case).

Good luck

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the best thing for when I am hot--and hubby is freezing..is to get him an electric blanket.
That way, I can stay cool,and he can get warm.
Luckily though, he prefers the room cool to sleep in.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Paulena

I, too am "one of the older ladies", that being said, I have had hot flashes and night sweats since I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 36. Now, 14 years later, it has progressively gotten worse. I use a cold compress and a fan at the foot of the bed. I nearly freeze dh out sometimes. But, I just can't stand the heat. I prefer the cooler weather than the hot. When it is hot, I nearly burn the HELL up. At night, it is worse and I sleep with very little on and the fan on and this may sound stupid, but, with my feet out from under the cover.

I am always looking for other women with the same situation that can lend any suggestions that might work for them.
I also did the fan on the bedstand and the feet out of the covers. I went through menepause in my early forties. I remember that I would run outside in the middle of winter to cool off. My hubby would ask me if I was cold while I was sitting around in a tank top and shorts....I wish!
Thankfully all of that seems to be behind me, though I'm still hot sometimes. I get teased about wearing shorts...the clerk said we'll know when winter is really here, that's when I put my pants on.
I wonder if the UPS guy gets comments about wearing shorts?
I hope some of the suggestions have helped you....hot flashes are just evil!!!