Hospital visit via kitten attack

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mani I did not get mischief from a breeder my uncle found him hiding under my front porch along with several other kittens that we assumed were his litter mates. I had heard scratching sounds coming from under my porch for several days and had asked my uncle to see what was up as I am unable to due to my multiple sclerosis. We promptly took them to the vet and had them checked etc given shots etc (the vet estimated them at about 8 weeks old approximately) and my daughter wanted one so we kept mischief as he was the one she wanted. And we have had him about 10 days.
If it’s a feral/unsocialized kitten you should not give up on him...all my cats once were strays and it requires a lot of time to get them adapted to an indoor environment almost anything can make them freak out😐 the first year for them is crucial that is when they learn and stop being fearful,you gotta present your cat through some noises and people slowly and without any stress.
Kittens are not easy,so imagine the stray one.
Try this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R7ZB251/?tag=thecatsite (Feliway Classic so that the cat does not feel afraid)
Or maybe that kind of non-toxic calming collars

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a clear tubing that is slit on the side so you can put cords in it. Mingo chewed up lots of AC adapters when I first got him, so I have to cover everything with this. It worked well.

Chewsafe

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out Gracie had chewed through the cable box wires when I went to remove the box to return it. I had no idea she had done that because it was behind my son's dresser and he never watched TV in his room.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you and the kitten will work things out in time. Definitely put the hot sauce on the wires, all of them you can manage. I use the red sauce so I can see what I've done and what's yet to be done.

For future use, anything the cat, any cat is really excited, or frightened, or fighting with another cat/animal, do not reach toward them. If you need to separate them, throw a duvet over them. They will, usually, calm down by the time they work their way out from under it.

I think one thing that might be really helpful now and later when either of your cats get sick is a new vet. The one you have now either doesn't know much about cats, doesn't care, or just doesn't like them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry that this happened to you and your concerns are certainly justified. There is a great deal of good advice here and it should help you to make a decision about the kitten. I only work with ferals, or those who were originally feral. Your kitten is definitely that, and the fact that he is trying to nurse also says something about his short life. Try the safe room, allow your other cat to visit, and start from there. Let him determine his own pace, which could be lengthy, and don't push your attention on him. As you do this, you can carefully evaluate him and determine if he can stay with you or would be better off in a certain type of placement.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has some good articles on cat behavior that you may want to take a read through:

Kittens have no manners, especially a stray or feral one. You have to be patient with kittens and teach them what is good behavior and what is not. Kitten proofing the home is a must. Kittens can get into all sorts of mischief and possibly injure themselves or worse. Keep all cords out of reach if possible or use cord covers. Tie up blind cords. Put breakable away. Keep household cleaners, personal hygiene stuff and gadgets, medicines, etc locked up.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi D Daddy mischief I'm sorry to hear you were so badly hurt by your kitten. He's obviously not a Ragdoll, as people have pointed out. It seems that you've been given some bad advice by your vet, but don't give up on this kitten yet.

Feral cats are extremely vulnerable to other animals and so your kitten, having lived outdoors for the first part of his life, will have his fight or flight response hardwired into him.

My guess was that he was scared, thought that he was cornered and believed he was fighting for his life. It's not your fault and it wasn't his either. I think you can both learn a lot from this and have a much better relationship moving forwards.

Distracting a cat always works better than reprimanding them. Get a wand toy to lure him away from things he shouldn't touch, a variety of scratching posts so he can redirect his marking behaviour and a Kickeroo toy to wrestle with. he's just young and nervous. He's not a dangerous kitten.

Sorry if you've posted this elsewhere in the thread, but what happened to the mother and other kittens?

Please keep us posted and take care of those scratches.

:hugs:

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I challenge you to find one other post on here were a very young kitten has deliberately injured a human via hostilities rather than an accident in play or a bizarre sequence of events. This is a super rare event. I agree that its quite possible that the training method used could have been a problem, but a loud noise is not automatically an inappropriate method, so we can't know for sure whether it was a problem. Regardless, kittens just don't normally react this way, and they have a 2 year old. I do think there is an inexperience component here, but I don't think a kitten able and willing to do this is a good match for a house with a 2 year old.
Your challenge has been met. There are posts that cover both of these occurrences.

My current feline is 11. When she was about 10 weeks old, I took her two sisters and her in for spay/shots. She cut my hands and arms to shreds. I know how to handle cats. She is a cat with a sweet disposition, yet is frightened of being picked up. Yes this is true even at 11 years of age.

My father died a death that was not easy over one Halloween. I no longer celebrate anything associated with Halloween. My lights were intentionally off with no TV and a car parked sidewise to block the driveway. Still a few children would come up to trick or treat. I ignore them, rather than lecture the idiot parent .I heard two little boys voices at the door. I later found out they opened my door which let my pair of adult Turkish Vans out. Neither cat had ever been outside before, except in a carrier to go to the vet. At 11 PM I located my female under my truck. She refused to come out from under. She hissed to tell me she was scared. Yet I scruffed her and tried to get her back into the house to protect her. She was absolutely scared to death. I took 10 deep bites on my arms and she shredded my arms. She broke free and ran into the house. I ended up in E.R. She ended up in ACA required quarantine in my home because her rabies tags expired a few weeks earlier.

Each time the cat was hissing This is a sign of fear, not meanness. After she was running from me for 30 minutes, I could not leave my adult female under a truck on property that has coyotes on it most nights. I needed to put her inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daddy mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi D Daddy mischief I'm sorry to hear you were so badly hurt by your kitten. He's obviously not a Ragdoll, as people have pointed out. It seems that you've been given some bad advice by your vet, but don't give up on this kitten yet.

Feral cats are extremely vulnerable to other animals and so your kitten, having lived outdoors for the first part of his life, will have his fight or flight response hardwired into him.

My guess was that he was scared, thought that he was cornered and believed he was fighting for his life. It's not your fault and it wasn't his either. I think you can both learn a lot from this and have a much better relationship moving forwards.

Distracting a cat always works better than reprimanding them. Get a wand toy to lure him away from things he shouldn't touch, a variety of scratching posts so he can redirect his marking behaviour and a Kickeroo toy to wrestle with. he's just young and nervous. He's not a dangerous kitten.

Sorry if you've posted this elsewhere in the thread, but what happened to the mother and other kittens?

Please keep us posted and take care of those scratches.

:hugs:
The other kittens (2 males and 1 female) were adopted by various family and friends.
Unfortunately we never did find the mother but as I live in out in the countryside we have assumed she died of one cause or another

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daddy mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your challenge has been met. There are posts that cover both of these occurrences.

My current feline is 11. When she was about 10 weeks old, I took her two sisters and her in for spay/shots. She cut my hands and arms to shreds. I know how to handle cats. She is a cat with a sweet disposition, yet is frightened of being picked up. Yes this is true even at 11 years of age.

My father died a death that was not easy over one Halloween. I no longer celebrate anything associated with Halloween. My lights were intentionally off with no TV and a car parked sidewise to block the driveway. Still a few children would come up to trick or treat. I ignore them, rather than lecture the idiot parent .I heard two little boys voices at the door. I later found out they opened my door which let my pair of adult Turkish Vans out. Neither cat had ever been outside before, except in a carrier to go to the vet. At 11 PM I located my female under my truck. She refused to come out from under. She hissed to tell me she was scared. Yet I scruffed her and tried to get her back into the house to protect her. She was absolutely scared to death. I took 10 deep bites on my arms and she shredded my arms. She broke free and ran into the house. I ended up in E.R. She ended up in ACA required quarantine in my home because her rabies tags expired a few weeks earlier.

Each time the cat was hissing This is a sign of fear, not meanness. After she was running from me for 30 minutes, I could not leave my adult female under a truck on property that has coyotes on it most nights. I needed to put her inside.
I am sorry to hear about your loss and that you had a similar issue with being injured by your fur baby.
But again I will point out that I was following what my VET told me to do.
I thought I was doing the right thing because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE

Some posts have been edited or deleted because they were inappropriate.

Please keep in mind that the purpose of this thread is to offer advice to someone on how best to deal with a feral kitten. Not to criticize people for mistakes that may have been made.

The moderators will delete any further posts that are deemed overly critical or inappropriate.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't give up on him. My boy was born feral, and I first came here needing advice, as he was tearing up my arms and legs and didn't seem to want affection. He's really mellowed out since-although he still has his moments, he now seeks out affection and will happily lay next to me.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes! That sounds terrifying. I had a cat like this who would sometimes try to attack me (not so seriously as this), but yes she was an only cat and I was living at my parents house so they would not let me get another one. When she would get in that mood to attack me, I would get a big pillow to try to block her or keep her away, closing a door if I had to. Eventually she snaps out of that mood.

I agree cats should have 1 partner. It makes life easier for you and them. Also I would never use things to punish them. They don’t understand in that way and will just fear you or hate you. I don’t think they will stop what you’re trying to prevent either.

I also have a few cats that chew on cords. Some just love chewing on them, others could care less. Try to hide the cord away behind something or get a thick cord protector.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I realize that I’m late to the party with this post. Sorry to hear about your frightening experience. Hope you are healing up and that things are improving. I had a similar traumatic experience with my cat. The great thing about cats is that they forgive and forget easily. I’m sure your kitty doesn’t even remember what he did and unfortunately us humans never forget! The biggest thing you can do if you decide to try to keep mischief is to accept the hurt and move on. When my cat attacked me (after I did something stupid and startled her), I honestly had a little bit of a hard time forgiving her. It took weeks for the scratches and bites to heal and I still have the scares now. It’s natural to feel a little scared now after that’s happened to you. It took me awhile to fully feel comfortable with her and that may be something you’ll experience as well. It can be hard to not feel slighted but at the end of the day cats are innocent animals that just act on instinct and unfortunately in that moment his instinct was to fight. We just have to try our best to understand our cats and do what we can to make them feel comfortable. If there is anyone in your family that can help you in anyway with this process I would definitely reach out to them. Best of luck to you. I hope everything works out :)

Last edited: