Horses, Horses, HORSES!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and when we were driving past them today there was Ragwort in their fields that was taller than them!

FYI incase you don't know Ragwort if eaten is seriously poisonous to ponies!

Hope they dont eat it

olivia's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone's horses are so gorgeous! Here are a few pics of my Gypsy Cob, Toby. These were taken just after his bath.

Just a little information on Gypsies. There are more than 500 in the states, the number is actually more along the lines of 5000. Part of the high cost was originally because so many were imported. As more are born and raised here, the prices will eventually come down a bit. Without going into all the politics involved with the name vanner, I'll just say that most of us refer to our horses as Gypsy Cobs, Gypsy horses, or just plain Gypsies.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*faints* Oh my goodness I'm so jealous!!!!

I didn't realize there were that many! It's been quite a few years since I checked, and that website probably didn't know anyway.

Hopefully the prices go down sooner than later so I can have one sooner than planned!!!

olivia's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

*faints* Oh my goodness I'm so jealous!!!!

I didn't realize there were that many! It's been quite a few years since I checked, and that website probably didn't know anyway.

Hopefully the prices go down sooner than later so I can have one sooner than planned!!!
Keep checking. I know of quite a few nice foals being offered for less than you would think. There is a website
http://www.americangypsyhorses.com/index.html

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Toby is gorgeous!! I could play with that mane and tail ALLLLLLLL DAY!!!!!

olivia's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Toby is gorgeous!! I could play with that mane and tail ALLLLLLLL DAY!!!!!
Thank you. It normally takes me about an hour just to comb his mane out and rebraid it. He just goes to sleep in the cross ties.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Olivia's mom

Thank you. It normally takes me about an hour just to comb his mane out and rebraid it. He just goes to sleep in the cross ties.
That's so sweet. My boy is the same way; he wasn't like that when I first got him; had no clue what simply being groomed and loved on meant...now he hates when I have to stop

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is everybody's horsies tickly/scratchy spots?

Monty LOVES being rubbed on the side of his face
He always pull such a funny face too

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I just had a totally awesome ride!

We got to the stables and we knew that last Sunday they were having a new horse. We asked one of the girls and she said they'd had two, Breeze and Puzzle. Breeze was 15.2hh and Puzzle is around 13hh. Anyway I saw Breeze and she is just such a darling!
She is a flea-bitten grey with a chunky neck and a soft face. Anyway so I asked Jo when I could ride her and she said in the next few weeks

Later the instructor comes to me and says 'put your hat on' and gets Breeze out of her stable!

OMG she is like a Monty CLONE! Only in girl-form
Everyone said she is really slow but she was like a little racehorse when I was on her! She was extremely calm (which Monty ISN'T but apart from that she was just like him) and didn't get phased by anything. Puzzle is her best mate and never wants to leave her side, but she doesn't care
They even share the same stable together

Anyway, I've waffled on for quite a bit!
I just wanted to let ya'll know that I've finally found a good one! She is now my 2nd fave, as Monty cannot be replaced.

I actually felt sorry for him cuz he looked so lonely. And then when I went and said hi I got all sad cuz I felt like I was giving her more attention than him. Silly girl!

Anyway, I'm gonna finish now. I just wanted to get this off my chest cuz I am so happy!

Oh, and her canter was AMAZING.

BTW, EnzoLeya, IMO she is the same build as Monty as well. So I have no idea where they get the idea that I'm too big for him but not for her from?

I'll get piccies soon!

And the only bad part of this is that they sold the grey Paddy (his pic is at the start)

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought you said that Monty goes periodically lame? And that's why he's now a "kid's horse" only...?
Glad you found another fun horse to ride though...

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

Where is everybody's horsies tickly/scratchy spots?

Monty LOVES being rubbed on the side of his face
He always pull such a funny face too
Pride likes his neck rubbed

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I thought you said that Monty goes periodically lame? And that's why he's now a "kid's horse" only...?
Glad you found another fun horse to ride though...
Yeah, they all tend to go lame. It's stupid because Breeze is almost exactly the same as Monty, she has the same build as him etc, and they let me ride her and not him.
And it's not fair on any of them because they work them way too hard

It's really a rubbish stables, but I only still go to see Monty & Sid. If they ever weren't there we wouldn't go

What really made me confused was when I was riding her they thought she had gone lame aswell, so I got off and trotted her up and down and it turns out that she trots/walks etc lame when she has any rider on but without a rider she is fine

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yeah, they all tend to go lame. It's stupid because Breeze is almost exactly the same as Monty, she has the same build as him etc, and they let me ride her and not him.
And it's not fair on any of them because they work them way too hard

It's really a rubbish stables, but I only still go to see Monty & Sid. If they ever weren't there we wouldn't go

What really made me confused was when I was riding her they thought she had gone lame aswell, so I got off and trotted her up and down and it turns out that she trots/walks etc lame when she has any rider on but without a rider she is fine
Sounds like they need to spend less $$ on buying new horses, and spending more on the ones they actually have... I feel for some stable horses...it can be like that here in the states too.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They tend to only exchange the horses for new ones. I mean they just got rid of a perfectly good horse who was so gentle and sweet. The only reason why they got rid of him is that he broke through the fence and tore his leg open (not too serious, he did recover Ok) but due to the fact it took so long to recover, they just got rid of him and exchanged him with a dealer for Breeze & Puzzle

The owner of the stables doesn't seem to really love them. She does care for them but not in the way that normal people do

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm glad to hear there's a new horse you can ride!!! That's awesome!!! She's the same build as Monte

Bonnet's favorite spot to be rubbed is her forehead. You can put your hand on her head and she'll move her head up and down
So cute!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in my first horse show on Saturday night!!! It was a blast! I took part in Walk Trot, Western Pleasure, Trot Barrels, and Barrels. I didn't win in the Walk Trot or Western Pleasure, my competition was $4,000+ horses!!! YIKES! I barely stood a chance!!! In Western Pleasure you want your horse to go slow and barely move, Bonnet doesn't have a slow speed. I spent the entire show passing everyone. Oh well, it was fun!

Here's a picture of me and my compettion!
Poor Bonnet was the oldest least show worthy horse out there!

I have videos, but they are too big for photobucket, and my internet is being slow so it's taking forever to get the videos on YouTube.

I did get first place in trot barrels!!! It was the first time we've even done the pattern in over a year. Trotting barrels is hard because you can't break trot, you can't walk, and you can't lope, and you have to be fast. I trotted the barrels in 35 seconds!

I got 5th out out 14 in Barrels, and did it in 24 seconds. Not bad for a 21-year-old horse that hasn't had any practice and is BLIND on one side!
I was so proud of her! The fastest barrel time was 18.5 seconds on Sat. The show started at 6:30pm and ended at 11:30 with barrels. Poor Bonnet was really tired by then.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ooooohhh...trot barrels, huh? Pride would be fantastic in that, he has a HUGE extended trot, that he can go on in for MILES!!! Hahahaha!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ooooohhh...trot barrels, huh? Pride would be fantastic in that, he has a HUGE extended trot, that he can go on in for MILES!!! Hahahaha!
I bet he would do good! Bonnet's got one of those really horrible bouncy/fast pony trots. I knew she would do good, but I didn't know she would do THAT good! I just wanted to practice the pattern before the real barrels competition. You can't practice anything in the ring before the show. I guess it's one way to make sure your horse really has talent. Poor Bonnet was afraid of everything in the show ring the first show we were in.

Aww cool!

Bless little Bonnet
Sounds like she tried really hard
hehe
She loved it! In the Western Pleasure Class you lope a lot and she passed everyone three times before they had us walk or trot
It was a little imbarrassing, but I didn't spend tons of money to have someone else train her. I did it all myself.