Horses anyone????

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie

My horse costs roughly $6k a year, but it's so worth it!
i board so i pay $375 mo (which is almost 1/2 as much as the neightboring barns, yet i have a beautiful fascility and wonderful Barn Manager)
then i usually buy extra hay for him to munch vefore and after rides so that's another $25 mo.
supps are about $30 mo depending on what i am doing
i do his hooves *that saves about $120 every 6 weeks and he mpoves better
Vet cost about $140 a year
and of course cookies, carrots, tack and other fun stuff
Do you trim his hooves, or shoe him too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I trim my horses hooves; if I need shoes, I have a good farrier come out and do it...one who's not going to come out and mess up my horse's feet! I am going to get some 'hoof boots' for him though, sooner or later, just because I don't like the damage shoeing can do to a horse's feet, even if they are nice and hard; the nails and the constriction shoes put on them can really mess up the horse, especially when done improperly for accomodate for the horse's body and movement.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Eeeek here's my pony! I've had Cairo for 3 years, she's gonna be an old lady this year at 16. I wish she'd act like it sometimes! Hahahaha. She's a Thoroughbred mare, she's been a rescue, and passed hands a lot. I've come into contact with 3 of her previous owners, including her breeder. Of course the stories are never 100% straight, but she's turned out to be an amazing horse and I wouldn't trade her for anything! We do a lot of trail riding, and are into English Pleasure and Hunter Jumpers.
----

Taken just before christmas with my sister's horse Dakota.

Just warming up in the roundpen. This one is from about a year ago, so you can see how much her tail has grown since this pic was taken. When I bought her it was above her hocks.

This was taken January 12th. It's too bad she wasn't going the other direction so you could see her awesome braids! This was at a schooling show showing in English Pleasure. She was such a good kid!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding the newest girl to this thread!

Jet is my 12 month old Paint cross filly

And I'll have one more to add later today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to have to come horsey nap Jet...Lol!!!

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I trim him, but he jumps 3'6" and does first level dressage barefoot, his feet are solid and he handles all terrain just fine. I have easyboot epics i put on him for trails just as a preventative.
Most horses do not need shoes, but unfortunatley many folks do not want to take the time to transition them and keep them in a healthy hoof environment.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that much about shoes, LOL.

I don't think that a lot of the horses we work with have shoes. A few for corrective purposes.